Breast pumps, bottles, etc. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-13-2013, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am pregnant with number three. I stayed home with my first two kids and never had to use a bottle. I am going to need to go to work a few days with this baby though. I am clueless...

What pump is best? I'm thinking of going with this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HWXCJS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A30AQ4MR3ROD53

What bottles are best? I think I want glass. Are they best? Which are safest?

Do I need a bottle warmer? How does DH know if the milk is the right temp?

How long can it keep in the refrigerator?

TIA!

#2 of 11 Old 10-13-2013, 03:52 PM

Well you will want to get BPA free baby bottles and also if you plan on breastfeeding you will want to get an orthodontic nipple because they don't have the round tips and kinda remind the baby of the nipple when you are bottle feeding. Make sure you breastfeed as often as possible because after a while your body will know the difference between a machine (pump) and baby. I didn't have a bottle warmer I would boil water and stick the bottle with milk in it for about a min and test until warm.

I hope this helps.

#3 of 11 Old 10-13-2013, 04:00 PM

You'll have to do your own research about the materials, but the LC I know swears by Playtex VentAire's wide slow flow nipple. She says that since she started recommending those, she's been seeing a lot fewer moms comin back complaining of nipple confusion. I used them, and my daughter hasn't had issues switching back and forth.

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#4 of 11 Old 10-13-2013, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

I'll only have to go two days and I'll only bf the other days/times. It makes me sad to have to leave the baby so soon, but I think it is best for my family and I'll have off again after a few months. Those nipples can't be put on any glass bottles, but maybe it's better to go with those than have the glass bottles. Thanks!

#5 of 11 Old 10-13-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarAndSun View Post

I'll only have to go two days and I'll only bf the other days/times. It makes me sad to have to leave the baby so soon, but I think it is best for my family and I'll have off again after a few months. Those nipples can't be put on any glass bottles, but maybe it's better to go with those than have the glass bottles. Thanks!

Oh, sorry. that was sort of unclear to call them just nipples. There's just nothing remarkable about the bottles-- I wish you could put them on glass! We should petition Playtex. 

SugarAndSun likes this.

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#6 of 11 Old 10-13-2013, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

haha! We should petition them. I'm sure there'd be a strong market!

#7 of 11 Old 10-14-2013, 04:57 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I just used the Medela bottles and nipples that came with my pump.  They're smaller (5oz) and there was less waste while I was away at work. 

LLL and others also suggest starting a baby at 5 weeks on a bottle, whether you are back to work then or not.  If you wait too much longer after that, babies may not take a bottle at all.  Too much earlier and you risk nipple confusion.  The type of nipple never seemed to matter to my daughter, though we started with a nipple shield because she couldn't latch, so maybe she was just more flexible due to that. 

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#8 of 11 Old 10-16-2013, 06:40 PM

I was working FT with DS1. I had a Medela Pump in Style and was using the bottles that came with it, and some glass bottles. I never had any problems with nipple confusion so just used whatever. I got a cheap cooler bag at Goodwill to store the milk in. As far as warming them, I just ran some hot water in a coffee cup and that worked ok.
#9 of 11 Old 10-21-2013, 03:07 AM

We just use hot water here too, you may not want to fuss with the warmer. In fact, my kids never cared what temperature it was anyway, they just wanted to be fed. smile.gif. Some bottle's shapes don't work with them either, we used Sassy MAM bottles and their bottom is too wide for most warmers anyway.

The Medela Pump In Style is the good standard of pumps, although I've heard Amedas are good too, Hygeia is another that is newer to the market. The only other one I have had experience with is five years ago with an Avent, which worked fine until I managed to wear it out.

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

#10 of 11 Old 10-21-2013, 10:53 AM

I too was going to recommend trying bottles cold first, some kids don't care and it is easier, DD1 never cared. Otherwise, a pan of hot water or running it under a hot tap works just fine, but sometimes the convenience of a bottle warmer is worth it.

As far as how long milk keeps, I'd go check out kellymom.com, lots of good general breastfeeding info there too.

The Medela PIS and the Ameda Purely Yours are the two pumps I recommend to people. I've used the latter and know many Moms who used and liked the former and those are also the two pumps that all the LC I talked to recommended as well.

Whatever bottle you use, if they will actually fit to the pump that will save you some time, but isn't top priority. I've used Dr. Brown bottles with all my kids, I like them for their ability to reduce air intake from bottles, but they have so many pieces. Something else is going to be easier to clean. I've not had any issues with nipple confusion, all of my babies luckily strongly prefer breast to bottle, but not so much that they won't take a bottle when hungry, but it can be an issue with some babies for sure.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#11 of 11 Old 10-21-2013, 10:58 AM

My daughter also takes her food cold or warm with no preference-- definitely try it cold first to see if you can skip the hassle of warming. I was told by nurses that the only reason they warm food up in the hospital and why it got spread as the thing to do is that tiny preemies and newborns that are having trouble gaining weight might benefit from warm food because it takes less calories. Cold food means the babies have to work a *little* harder to keep body temp constant, but it's not a problem for robust babies! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page