First foods - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 10-16-2013, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My baby is 6.5 months and I started today with sweet potato. I'm trying baby lead, by giving her pieces rather than blended. She barely ate, but enjoyed her new, soft toy. Lol.

After the basic fruits and vegetables, how do you give chicken in this method?
Also, at what age can I give lentils for iron?

With baby lead, when do you introduce veg. soup, where it needs to be eaten with a spoon?

Thank you for any replies.
#2 of 23 Old 10-16-2013, 09:13 PM

I've found (like every other parenting thing), the less you stick to a "method", the easier it will be. 

My LO started with sweet potato, banana, avocado...soft foods she could pick up herself. However I did not limit it to only food she could pick up herself. I would give her meat that I chewed a little with my front teeth (now I just give her small pieces, big enough to chew but not so big she could choke), if we were having soup, I'd spoon it into her mouth (not fearing that I had broken something or completely ruined the idea of BLW). 

This site has some pretty good charts and such on when you can introduce which foods: http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/ I found it helpful though I didn't stick to it 100%.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#3 of 23 Old 10-17-2013, 01:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
For soups I give them the chunks without the broth. For things like yoghurt or rice, I put some on a spoon and hand them the spoon. Sometimes my 11mo will lean forward and take the mouthful straight off the spoon, other times she will take the spoon from me and put it in her mouth herself. She couldn't do it at 6 months but from about 8-9 months she's been doing pretty well.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#4 of 23 Old 10-31-2013, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you both for the tips. That's a great webite. It isn't my first child, but with each one, I learn more.

#5 of 23 Old 10-31-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post

For soups I give them the chunks without the broth. For things like yoghurt or rice, I put some on a spoon and hand them the spoon. Sometimes my 11mo will lean forward and take the mouthful straight off the spoon, other times she will take the spoon from me and put it in her mouth herself. She couldn't do it at 6 months but from about 8-9 months she's been doing pretty well.

Just out of curiosity, why not the broth? I think with some soups, it's supposed to be pretty nutrient dense since it leaches the goodies out of the bones and the water-soluble vitamins from the veggies. 

But IDK anything. Still a few months away from first hand experience!

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#6 of 23 Old 10-31-2013, 06:04 PM

Only because they can't eat it on their own. I feel pretty strongly about allowing them to self-feed which does limit what they can have a bit in the early stages. I think the benefits outweigh the negatives though so I'm fine with it.

#7 of 23 Old 11-03-2013, 04:10 AM

You can start red or yellow lentils now, cooked with about a cup of water per 2 Tbsp, simmering for an hour on low after the initial boil. I wouldn't suggest green or brown lentils -- too gassy for baby. My 7-month-old loves red lentils with punches of spices like cumin, fennel and ginger cooked in, and a bit of ghee (following traditional Ayurvedic wisdom for baby's first foods).
#8 of 23 Old 11-03-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofrillsmamma View Post

You can start red or yellow lentils now, cooked with about a cup of water per 2 Tbsp, simmering for an hour on low after the initial boil. I wouldn't suggest green or brown lentils -- too gassy for baby. My 7-month-old loves red lentils with punches of spices like cumin, fennel and ginger cooked in, and a bit of ghee (following traditional Ayurvedic wisdom for baby's first foods).
Do you have any links for Ayurvedic first foods approach?
MasalaBaby likes this.

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#9 of 23 Old 11-03-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthiamoon View Post

Yes, check http://sacredwindow.com/. I think there is a post about this somewhere within their blog pages. And in their shop you can buy a "Tonic Postpartum Care" e-book for $12 that includes a section on first foods for babies. Wonderful resource provided by a wonderful lady!
#10 of 23 Old 11-05-2013, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I follow the Weston A. Price Foundation, and there is an emphasis on nutrient-dense foods such as egg yolks (whites are allergenic), liver, and vegetables cooked in butter or coconut oil as first foods. I plan to use all of those with the exception of butter since my son appears to be sensitive to dairy.

#11 of 23 Old 11-05-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:

Yes, check http://sacredwindow.com/. I think there is a post about this somewhere within their blog pages. And in their shop you can buy a "Tonic Postpartum Care" e-book for $12 that includes a section on first foods for babies. Wonderful resource provided by a wonderful lady!
Thanks!

#12 of 23 Old 11-13-2013, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

My baby will not eat chunks. Neither big nor small, she only eats the blended foods. For 2 weeks I tried chunks. How can I get her to eat whole pieces?

Thanks again.

#13 of 23 Old 11-13-2013, 02:35 PM

What does she do when you give her pieces of food? BLW isn't about how much they eat, it's more about exploring food, developing motor skills and being in control of what and how much they eat.

Neither of my girls swallowed much initially either. You don't have to do anything. Just keep giving them food to explore and they will swallow it when they're ready. You probably won't even notice until you change a nappy the next day :-)

#14 of 23 Old 11-14-2013, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

She will lick a bit, and spit out. She's excited when she sees food, but seems to get more pleasure from looking, than actually eating. With the blended food, she does eat nicely, and wants more.

Thanks again.

#15 of 23 Old 11-14-2013, 12:24 PM

They will develop the skill of chewing and swallowing over time if you keep offering, and don't worry if they don't get much at first..  I just would put the little chunks in front of them and let them try their best--they are learning much more than just eating!  My kids always loved boiled apple chunks, sweet potatoes, banana, and crock pot balls (I would put roast, potatoes, and veggies in the blender and then form into little squishy balls for them to pick up.).

I tried the egg yolks as a first food for my youngest, but he'd always spit it out or throw it up soon after eating.  To this day he won't eat egg yolks unless they are beat into scrambled eggs.

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#16 of 23 Old 11-14-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine28 View Post

She will lick a bit, and spit out. She's excited when she sees food, but seems to get more pleasure from looking, than actually eating. With the blended food, she does eat nicely, and wants more.

Thanks again.

I've read that with puree foods, babies learn to swallow first, then chew. With BLW they lean to chew and gnaw first, then to swallow. I think this is normal. 

#17 of 23 Old 11-27-2013, 05:14 AM

I am getting in on this thread a bit late but purely because I was trying to get some ideas! I have heard of boiled apple chunks being excellent, a tried and tested method by many that usually has great results, probably because it is so sweet!

I wanted to share Ella's Kitchen (http://www.ellaskitchen.co.uk/) with you all as it has been recommended several times, they have a great selection of baby food so your baby is likely to find at least one he or she loves, and the packaging means they can hold it themselves which works brilliantly for those early stages of moving onto solid foods (still quite messy though!)

I hope this helps!

Nat

bayosgirl87 likes this.
#18 of 23 Old 05-04-2014, 06:47 PM

Wanted to share my experience. I second the wisdom of a previous poster who said the less you stick to a method, the better.

I was very committed to baby led weaning and stayed away from purees. I started around 7 or 8 months. She did an odd thing. After a few weeks of just playing with the food, when she would finally get the food in her mouth she would start to gum it and then grimace and spit it out. Turns out she had a cyst under her tongue that was large but thankfully benign. It needed surgery but it took a few months to get it diagnosed and removed, during which I tried to introduce purees but it seems I missed the window and she would not eat them.

I still breast fed on demand but she went from being a very chubby healthy baby to failure to thrive as a toddler. It was awful, and she ended up delayed with solids until well after 2. It was a lot of worry and stress... I couldn't have known, but I sure wish I had gotten her used to eating from a spoon as well as finger foods.

It is a good example of researching like crazy, trying my hardest and doing my best, but still making the wrong decision. 

She is a healthy, small but very picky and lean 5 year old now. She had anemia and tooth problems as well as being on the late end of some milestones which I attribute to the lack of nutrients.

I am pregnant now and plan on introducing purees and finger foods.

And about broth - put it in a sippy cup to enjoy alongside the chunks.

Mama to DD luxlove.gif born June 2008 and Wife to my dear Magyar foreign exchange husband. Expecting again in September!joy.gif 
#19 of 23 Old 05-13-2014, 06:38 AM

Hello there! I am new to the site, and late in replying, but the topic of first foods is really great.  For my now 3 year-old I started off with rice cereal, but she refused to eat it, so I mashed up avocado and bananas.  She ate it, but ate more with a pinch of cinnamon! We started lentils around the 6-month-mark, and it was a hit too.  Our background is Indian, so we are used to spicing up food...for our daughter we tried a pinch of cumin powder, or coriander, or a bit of ginger to introduce her to new tastes.  she now eats everything.  Fun to experiment with different flavors. :)

Leena

www.ethnicbabyfood.wordpress.com

https://twitter.com/EthnicBabyFood

#20 of 23 Old 05-13-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasalaBaby View Post

Hello there! I am new to the site, and late in replying, but the topic of first foods is really great.  For my now 3 year-old I started off with rice cereal, but she refused to eat it, so I mashed up avocado and bananas.  She ate it, but ate more with a pinch of cinnamon! We started lentils around the 6-month-mark, and it was a hit too.  Our background is Indian, so we are used to spicing up food...for our daughter we tried a pinch of cumin powder, or coriander, or a bit of ginger to introduce her to new tastes.  she now eats everything.  Fun to experiment with different flavors. smile.gif
Those spices sound so yummy! I also like a pinch of yellow curry powder added to a a big batch of squash purée (acorn or butternut).

#21 of 23 Old 05-16-2014, 08:22 AM

I just skimmed over some of the older posts here, and now that we are 4 months into introducing foods, I am glad we were flexible with what we fed her. She began with thick purees served on a small spoon she could hold and kind of control, and then added steak strips for gnawing, then more purees of different textures from soupy and sipped from a bowl to thick and eaten off a spoon. She went through a phase of loving homemade purees almost exclusively, but I still offered finger foods and complex textures alongside her "babyfood." She fed herself some things, I fed her other things. 

Then, she one day just refused to be fed, but still couldn't control a spoon well enough to feed herself, so we stopped purees altogether and have now been feeding her almost exclusively finger foods, but chopped up into little pieces. She  picks them off of a plate while we eat. It's so nice that she's so independent in meals. Now, at almost 10 mos, the only thing I really help her with is her cup. She tends to get overexcited and drink too fast/sputter/inhale it if I let her take full control of the cup. 

Teeth really change things along the way too! Before teeth, the BLW stick-foods approach worked well. She would just gum them and soften them, and it was ok to not get much in her belly because she was still so young and not mobile. But once she started exploring and burning calories like crazy and nursing every hour all day long, I was thrilled to be able to offer purees which actually filled her up and allowed me to have a normal eating schedule too. Then, the teeth came in and suddenly she could break off BIG chunks of foods she used to just mush on, and so I stopped giving her big foods with "handles" as the BLW ppl like to say, and switched to little chopped bits of those foods. 

These days I rarely pack her special food, unless I am going out to eat someplace where it might be hard to find food she can eat, like a cuisine that tends to be spicy. I just get a small, heavy plate for her and cut up whatever is on my plate. She feeds herself mostly, but sometimes gets interested in a food she can't feed herself, and I will spoon feed her from my bowl a little bit. IT's really nice! 

sageowl likes this.

#22 of 23 Old 05-20-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks!
Quote:

Quote:

Sadly we discovered dd has a raging hives level allergy to lentils!

#23 of 23 Old 05-26-2014, 07:09 PM

How about chunks of stew on the table and a sippy cup of broth?

Mama to DD luxlove.gif born June 2008 and Wife to my dear Magyar foreign exchange husband. Expecting again in September!joy.gif 

Tags
New Mom Guide

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page