FTM needs a reality check... 6 week old can't be awake without crying... normal?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-21-2013, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Admins, feel free to move my post if there is a more appropriate forum for this question! 

I am a FTM SAHM to a 6 week old boy. He's healthy and "normal" in every way except that he can't seem to be awake without crying. He takes regular (unscheduled) naps throughout the day, is EBF on demand, and sleeps well at night. When he was a little younger (up to 4 weeks or so), he would have an hour or so of wakefulness at a time in the morning, early afternoon, and evening, and would sit quietly, coo, look around, etc. Now, we might get 5 minutes of alert time before he starts crying. Sometimes it starts are just fussing but oftentimes, he goes directly to screaming. We have tried EVERYthing: diaper check, feeding, pacifier, the 5 S's and all the other "happiest baby" suggestions, swaddling, sling, making him warmer, making him cooler, baths, aromatherapy, white noise, you name it. He does have some gas from time to time, and we give him (homemade) gripe water and/or simethicone drops and that works to resolve the gas. Nothing seems to appease this little guy's crabby mood, though.

In the few minutes of peaceful awake time he has, he is alert, smiling, cooing, and cuddly... and then the monster comes out! 

I've read that there is a growth spurt at 6 weeks... Is this what it causes? 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 10-21-2013, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Look up the Wonder Weeks.  They're periods of intense development that often lead to little monsters before they resolve.  My daughter had periods like that, not of screaming, but just of CONSTANT fussiness and neediness.  It got a lot better by around 8 weeks.  If it doesn't resolve soon-ish, it might be colic, which doesn't really help you at all because colic is sort of a useless term.  But hopefully it's just developmental and will clear up soon.

On a more hopeful note, my daughter was very high needs (couldn't be put down, wouldn't sleep by herself, etc) until around 3 months and by around 6 months she was sleeping well and was the happiest, calmest baby you could find.  So the early days don't necessarily mean anything for what kind of baby you have later.  It can get dramatically better quickly. 

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#3 of 5 Old 10-21-2013, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Since this is a new trend, I do worry that something *might* be happening that you can change, but it's hard to know what it could be. It might be anything from over-stimulation to under stimulation, digestive upset, neediness, etc. I would try eliminating anything that is easily changeable first, like common irritants you might be eating (I've heard caffeine and dairy are often troublesome), or the environment the baby is in. For example, I always thought babies LOVED constant contact, but some babies like to be put down in a quiet room to chill out a little. 

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#4 of 5 Old 10-21-2013, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Growth spurts did that to mine sometimes. Always a week or less long.

#5 of 5 Old 10-21-2013, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks, mamas! It's always nice to hear about other babies going through the same things. I hope it'll pass soon! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page