Amby Baby Hammock Questions: Safety and Size - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-21-2013, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Amby Baby Hammock Questions: Safety and Size
I've been looking into hammocks for my LO, and while I really like the looks of the Happy Hangup, I'm not sure I want to spend that much money until I know whether LO will even like a hammock. With that in mind, I've been checking out less expensive options, including used Amby baby hammocks. I've tried to research them as best as I can, but I've still got unanswered questions that I'm hoping someone out there can help me answer!

Safety - I know in the mid 2000s there were issues with metal shavings and there was a repair kit for that. Then in 2009 there were several infant suffocation deaths in the US. Although the American distributor said that user error was involved (hammock not being balanced properly and hammock hung from ceiling are all I can find about this), they issued a recall and a repair kit and posted some sort of safety checklist on their website. The American distributor shut down completely several months later, and the official word was that if you did not have a repair kit, you should immediately discontinue use of and discard your Amby. The Australian and UK distributors however still remained in business and apparently are going strong today. At the time, the Australian branch issued a statement about taking the mattress out once infants reached 4 mo, but I can not find anything today on their webpage about that. Today, you can find Amby's fairly frequently on Craigslist in the US, so it appears that people are still using them. Officially, though, there is no way to purchase a new Amby or replacement parts for an Amby in the US (even if you're willing to pay shipping from Australia) because of insurance liabilities.

So, Question 1: Does the info above sound correct or do I have something wrong?
Question 2: I'm really unclear as to the "user error" claim from the company. What is the general consensus - was it really user error or is there something fundamentally dangerous about the hammock? (It is of course tragic that infants died, regardless of the circumstances, and I am in no way trying to belittle that by asking this.)

Size: I can get measurements of the hammock when it is set up from the website, but I can't find measurements of the hammock broken down in its travel bag. All I can find is that it is supposedly portable.

So, Question 3: Anyone know the dimensions of the bag with the hammock, incl weight?
Question 4: Since most folks probably don't walk around with the dimensions fresh in their minds, can anyone tell me if it would fit in a trunk? Could you take it on an airplane as checked baggage and not have it be considered oversize (over 62 inches combined length, width, height)?

Sorry for the length of this post and thanks in advance for any info anyone can provide!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 10-24-2013, 04:21 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

I'm sorry you didn't get an answer yet. 

I don't have direct experience with this product. I wanted one for my last baby but couldn't justify paying the $ either for something that would get used for a few months. I am sure someone will be along soon to help you,so I am bumping your post!

#3 of 3 Old 10-24-2013, 04:22 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

I'm sorry you didn't get an answer yet. 

I don't have direct experience with this product. I wanted one for my last baby but couldn't justify paying the $ either for something that would get used for a few months. I am sure someone will be along soon to help you,so I am bumping your post!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page