"Must-Have" baby gear you hate - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 11-11-2013, 04:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleCapucine View Post

For the first time mamas reading...sometimes a necessity is what your hormones demand. If a decorated nursery and an exhaustively researched stroller are part of dreaming your baby into being, that is an important process. After my first, time spent handmaking a blanket and preparing the family for the birth was where I directed that energy, but the importance of creating a bubble for the coming newborn was the same. Blessings to you on your journeys to holding your baby, and may the help you need be present, gear included.

I agree with LittleCapuchine on this. And I would also say that there are plenty of things which aren't necessary but some of those things do make life quite a bit easier. And that's ok too. I'm not suggesting buying one of everything and flooding the oceans with plastic and I'm not suggesting going into debt for stuff. Buy secondhand. Borrow. Pass around the family. There are many reasons those are great things to do. But sometimes it is really nice to have that not necessary but oh so helpful item.

And I know this thread isn't about that, it's about stuff which is neither necessary *nor* useful, I just wanted to follow up on what LC said.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 36 Old 11-11-2013, 04:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
To get back to the point of this thread, at the bottom of my screen was a link to 25 useful baby items (which turned out to be pretty much an ad for specific brands of products). Several things on the list stood out for me

- burp cloths. There are so many other things most people already have that can be used to catch baby vomit. I used flat nappies because I had them and they're perfect but there are also hand towels, bunny rugs, face washers if your baby isn't a big puker (my first wasn't), old t-shirts even!

- wipe solution. We used water, it worked perfectly.

And a personal gripe, reuseable breast pads were completely useless for me. They either soaked straight through and sat there, little sodden lumps or they didn't absorb at all and the milk ran out the side and soaked my shirt. I gave up and used disposables for number one and pretty much just leaked for number two.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#33 of 36 Old 11-11-2013, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Water as wipe solution was totally useless for me, but I loved my reusable breast pads. 

There are certainly baby products promoted in AP circles that did nothing for me, but somebody must like them. Prefolds and covers, for instance. Hated them. Stretchy wrap. Hated it. I saw that "25 useful products" post too and wasn't nuts about it. 

Bottom line is everybody is different, so I don't think there are any blanket recommendations. If a lot of moms found a particular product to be useless or annoying, that's probably a good reason not to buy it initially, but later on if you have some specific need that product would solve, then maybe consider it. I have enjoyed this thread, but would like it to stay with "I don't like X because of Y, I did Z instead" rather than "Why would anyone ever use X? It's so unnatural and ridiculous to do that, just do Z." 

#34 of 36 Old 11-11-2013, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

I think erigeron hit the nail on the head (and a few other posters have as well).  I, for example, don't leak at all, so breast pads were totally useless for me (and of course I had bought a ton of them because everyone told me to).  I wouldn't have known they would be useless because I didn't know how my body reacts to breastfeeding.  Similarly, my daughter hated the swing and the bouncer, so those were useless to me, but I know lots of babies who LOVED them and whose mothers could shower in peace while baby was happy because of them.

My overall concern is not individual products that may or may not work for individual families, but the overall emphasis on consumerism and collecting "stuff" that not only distracts from the parent-child bond but that also creates mental stress and strains economic resources. 

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#35 of 36 Old 11-11-2013, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My overall concern is not individual products that may or may not work for individual families, but the overall emphasis on consumerism and collecting "stuff" that not only distracts from the parent-child bond but that also creates mental stress and strains economic resources. 

There is that. But I wonder if part of it too could be families trying to plan ahead while they know what their economic resources are. If mom has to take unpaid time off or is going to quit her job to stay home, it might make sense to try to anticipate what you might want and get it ahead of time when you have more disposable income, or get people to buy it for you as a shower gift, rather than try to get by with the minimum and then find you're in a spot when you do need something spendy after baby comes. Although the idea of getting stuff secondhand, borrowing, or whatever, is certainly not promoted in the consumer culture, and is part of the solution to this.

If you're the first of your friends to have a baby, too, it's harder to do the borrow/buy from friends thing, and harder to get an idea of what gadgets work and what don't. We were in that position. I had to purchase everything we needed either new or secondhand, because none of our friends had kids yet. Now, expecting our second, I have lots of friends with kids and lots more options for getting items I don't already have (like, if I can't get the toddler out of the crib-turned-toddler-bed before the new baby is born, I can borrow a bassinet without too much trouble, unlike the first time around). 

#36 of 36 Old 03-05-2014, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I was your run-of-the-mill main stream mama-to-be the first time around & got all the stuff.  I remember looking around after dd was born wondering how anyone raised a baby before all this stuff was available, stuff that she hated, mostly.  Had I read this article, I'd like to think I would have learned. http://www.naturalchild.org/jan_hunt/baby_gear.html  I still have most of it because I can't stand the though of a baby crying in it.

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.

Tags
Baby

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page