Cluster feedings/fussy evening strategies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-29-2013, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Baby is a FUSSY hungry little thing in the evenings, usually from like 4-8pm. My older daughter is 3yo and it's become problematic trying to get her taken care of during this time. I haven't even been able to leave the recliner. I was in tears today thinking about how I can't even make my 3yo a snack. I just have to hope she can reach something in the fridge or pantry.

I am not having any success with nursing in a ring sling or the moby. She is 9 weeks now and so fussy every time I try any kind of babywearing during this time.

What are you mamas doing during this time?

geek.gif Mama + superhero.gifDaddy +energy.gifDD (12/20/09) = heartbeat.gif

Expecting stork-girl.gif #2 in September!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 10-29-2013, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I would be lost without DH being home to help during that time. He's pretty much taken over meals. Do you have some help?

I've been finding it helpful to have snacks ready on hand, like nuts, veggies and fruit cut up...could you have those things within your daughter's reach?

I've never been able to nurse in a carrier, either! I don't have any other suggestions, mostly I just wanted to say that I hear ya!
#3 of 7 Old 10-29-2013, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I got a 'my breast friend' nursing pillow and I was able to walk around and had 1 hand to do other things like fix snacks, read books, and it always seems like I am helping someone go potty.  I also nurse in the ergo from a very young age, seems to work better for me than the sling.  

I second the idea of the easy snacks.... perhaps right after lunch, prepare the little basket of snacks/ drinks and even some books and toys that your older one can keep close to your chair... make it special for her.  

Good luck and congrats on your new baby!  

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#4 of 7 Old 10-29-2013, 10:28 PM

For nursing in the sling, try having the sling on super loose, then nurse baby in your usual position, and gradually (over the course of several nursing sessions) tighten the sling so that she starts getting used to it.  Also if you are trying to use the cradle carry position, try nursing in an upright (low tummy-to-tummy) position, or vice versa.

When I do evenings by myself, it's usually a mix of baby nursing in wrap, baby in wrap with me bouncing on ball during the 3-yo's dinnertime, or baby in bouncy chair for brief periods (baby has gotten used to being in it for 3-yo's bath).  Oh, and we do EC so also taking baby to the potty amidst many protests from the 3 yo (but he is getting used to it).  I seem to end up hauling the ball, bouncy chair, and baby potty around the house a lot in the evenings.  Dinnertime is all foods that are easily served - yogurt, reheat leftovers, fruit, etc.  Sometimes I end up sitting on the floor and nursing baby while reading DS his bedtime story.

It's tough but it does get better. Hang in there!

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#5 of 7 Old 10-29-2013, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

DH does help tons but seems to get home right when she falls asleep finally. I know this will change but for now I just feel so useless.

I do have a breast friend pillow! OMG I felt like I was being somewhat irresponsible carrying her around like that and DH would tsk me about it. I'm going to try it tomorrow!

The toddler/preschooler is sooooooooooo picky right now and seems to only eat processed junk which I'm trying to keep out of the house. I couldn't even get up to cut and peel a frickin apple! So it's gotta be the kind if snacks she can literally grab and eat. Great ideas there. Now on getting to the store.

You know I really wanted help and asked my sister to stay but sadly she wasn't able to. My mom and dad passed when I was 20 and DH has a strained relationship with his parents. Asking for help is NOT my strong suit. DH just started working at a new job with a longish commute so those last few hours before he gets home are brutal. I'm debating hiring a mothers helper but don't see DH liking the cost for that.

#6 of 7 Old 11-04-2013, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe'sMama View Post

I got a 'my breast friend' nursing pillow and I was able to walk around and had 1 hand to do other things like fix snacks, read books, and it always seems like I am helping someone go potty.  I also nurse in the ergo from a very young age, seems to work better for me than the sling.  

I second the idea of the easy snacks.... perhaps right after lunch, prepare the little basket of snacks/ drinks and even some books and toys that your older one can keep close to your chair... make it special for her.  

Good luck and congrats on your new baby!  

Thank you again for mentioning the breast friend pillow. It's really helping me get off the recliner while still comfort nursing baby and being able to attend to DD1 somewhat. I had to come on and post! A huge help!

#7 of 7 Old 11-04-2013, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No advice, but I'm right there with ya. DS2 will not let me put him down after 4 PM and evenings are a special kind of hell.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page