Flat head - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-02-2013, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone ever have a baby with a good sized flat spot on their head? I mentioned my boys flat spot to the doc he is almost five months. We start OT next week and if things don't get significantly better off to the head clinic for a helmet. Will therapy even make much of a difference in 6 weeks?
#2 of 6 Old 11-02-2013, 05:54 PM

If your baby has torticollis, some pt might help. If the flat spot is significant enough, probably not. My almost 10 month old has been in a helmet for about 2 months now & it is working really well. The added bonus is she doesn't seem botherd by all the head bumps she gets from crawling around wink1.gif We started that helmet therapy a bit on the late side & still we have seen such an improvement. I am so happy we went ahead with it! Good luck!!
#3 of 6 Old 11-04-2013, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter

We start therapy this week so I am curious what the therapist thinks. I have a feeling it's too flat but he also needs to stop favoring the same side to sleep. Thank you for sharing. I am dreading the cost!
#4 of 6 Old 11-04-2013, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I don't know if he sleeps near enough to you for this to work, but I've heard babies tend to lay on the side that let's them face mom in the room. You could rotate how you lay him down to sleep, so that he faces the other way? 

With my daughter, I noticed she really favored playing with the toys to her right, so after she developed a favorite, I moved it to her left, and keep rotating her on that play-gym mat thingy she likes so much. 

IDK if she would have preferred a side for long if I hand't done this, but it makes me feel proactive, so I keep doing it. 

It might help your kiddo? But only in addition to PT, if some of those muscles are already tight in one direction. 

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#5 of 6 Old 11-04-2013, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthiamoon View Post

I don't know if he sleeps near enough to you for this to work, but I've heard babies tend to lay on the side that let's them face mom in the room. You could rotate how you lay him down to sleep, so that he faces the other way? 

With my daughter, I noticed she really favored playing with the toys to her right, so after she developed a favorite, I moved it to her left, and keep rotating her on that play-gym mat thingy she likes so much. 

IDK if she would have preferred a side for long if I hand't done this, but it makes me feel proactive, so I keep doing it. 

It might help your kiddo? But only in addition to PT, if some of those muscles are already tight in one direction. 
Yeah we haven't been in the same room for a while but that is the direction he looked towards when he was in our room.

During playtime I always encourage using the other side. He generally does. My husbands therory is he sleeps on the flat side cause his head naturally rolls there cause its flat... I don't know if that can actually play a factor?
#6 of 6 Old 11-23-2013, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Therapy is helping. The muscles are less tight and the flat spot is looking better not sure if we are out if the woods yet bet it's better.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page