So what is the deal with sheepskins and babies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-05-2013, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I bought a sheepskin from a local merino producer - it was NOT cheap but it feels delicious. I had this idea that I would put it under the crib sheet  while the babies are small (we are expecting twins) so that they would be warmer in bed without the risk of them getting suffocated by the long wool and/or that I would be able to use it for tummy time during the day. Then on a whim I googled "sheepskins and babies" and up pops all this stuff about how they're super toxic and cause SIDS and should never, ever be used around sleeping babies. I was flabbergasted. I've never heard this before.

Does anyone know what the story here is -- in layperson terms? Or has anyone used sheepskin and so can speak to their experience with them? I search mothering and found a few threads mentioning them from back in 2004 but this seems like new data... 

Anyone?

Strawberry lover, dog-person, New Yorker. wool.gif (Who doesn't love a jump-roping sheep?)

#2 of 5 Old 11-13-2013, 10:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Oh wow, interesting.  I had not heard this.  I am wondering if it is something in the curing process.

OK, here is a link I found.  It says something about phosphorus and arsenic and a bacteria.
http://www.mommypotamus.com/do-sheepskins-cause-sids/

#3 of 5 Old 11-15-2013, 06:01 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

This is interesting.  We'll be reusing the same mattress for all of our babies because I don't have an extra $200 to buy a new soy mattress for each baby.  It also seems incredibly wasteful.  But our babies bedshare for the first 3 months anyway, so these concerns don't seem to apply much.

We have a sheepskin that we will be using for tummy time, diaper free time, and other supervised play.  I wouldn't let a baby sleep on it other than for naps for safety reasons anyway, so perhaps that kind of middle ground approach would work for the OP.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#4 of 5 Old 11-15-2013, 07:11 PM

I wouldn't put it in the crib (either directly or under the sheet) because it would make the bed surface softer and baby mattresses are supposed to be nice and firm. At least on our mattress the "newborn" side is firm while the "toddler" side is soft and quilted. I think it would be lovely for play time though and especially if you'll be doing diaper free or other naked time with the babies. So soft and cozy!

#5 of 5 Old 11-16-2013, 04:48 PM

Do those of you who have one prefer the long or short?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page