How do you vaccum? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-15-2013, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am trying to be ambitious here and get something done. We have carpet, and it's not right to let it go. My son actually does nap in a crib in his room, but I am still worried the vacuum will wake him. Sometimes it hasn't, but I still get paranoid. He is bound to wake at some point, and I blame it on the fact that I was vacuuming, when he does wake. I hate disrupting his naps.

But when he's awake, I feel weird just putting him in another room. And I don't want to wear him or have him nearby, because dust carries so many indoor toxins. That is the option, of the three, I really don't want to do.

What do you all do? It's getting to the point where hubby works so much that I hate doing it when he's here! I don't want to hire someone. I'll have to give in to one of the above, I think.

#2 of 11 Old 11-15-2013, 10:37 AM

I put my baby in a carrier when I vacuum, although that's suboptimal. I've found that the white noise of the vacuum cleaner doesn't wake my kids up, generally, if they're napping.

I vote that you try it, knowing that you might sacrifice one nap to the vacuum monster.

Mama to Silas Anansi, born 9/9/10 and Petra Eadaion, born 10/1/12.

#3 of 11 Old 11-15-2013, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I vacuum while wearing DS. It usually puts him to sleep. As long is the vacuum isn't super loud, the white noise doesn't seem to bother him. DW is concerned about the dust so we put him in another room while we vacuum and we are both at home. Our apartment is so small it probably doesn't make much difference. The dust will travel to his room anyway.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#4 of 11 Old 11-15-2013, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I vacuum while DS is awake, usually playing in his swing. I was afraid the noise would bother him but it doesn't seem to. We have a one-bedroom apartment so vacuuming would never happen when he was sleeping, lol.

#5 of 11 Old 11-15-2013, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! :)

#6 of 11 Old 11-15-2013, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Well, I'm pretty obsessive and I never gave a moment's thought to dust.  I guess if I had, I would have reasoned that the baby was going to be crawling on the floor at some point and would be picking up dust that way, so why worry?

FWIW, I generally would have them in the sling on my chest while tiny and in the sling on my back once they could hold themselves up a bit.  Vacuuming during naptime wasn't an option for me as I never put my infants down for naps.

Bring back the old MDC
#7 of 11 Old 11-15-2013, 07:08 PM

We did it yet another way. We have a Roomba so it would vacuum a room while we were in a different one. Once DD got bigger she loved to watch it (and now at 2.5, chase it around the room) while it's vacuuming. It's more of a sweeper than a vacuumer though, I think.

#8 of 11 Old 11-15-2013, 11:24 PM

I'm quite allergic to dust and have managed by using a vacuum with a HEPA air filter, and also running a standalone HEPA air filter in the room.  I have no hesitation babywearing to vacuum like that.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#9 of 11 Old 12-02-2013, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I am pretty allergic too, so I guess that is part of the reason I hesitated to do it with the baby as well, in case he is. Cleaning with babies is such a challenge!!! And I want my place cleaner than it used to be, too! Now what about my dishes, haha! ;) Guess I have no excuse for that one.

#10 of 11 Old 12-03-2013, 07:39 AM

I love my Rainbow vacuum. The dust is pulled into a water basin and the air feels amazing during and after cleaning.

:
#11 of 11 Old 12-08-2013, 07:55 PM

I vacuum with baby in the carrier.  My floor gets vacuumed daily because the movement and white noise always put him to sleep, otherwise I'm not sure it would get done!  I kind of bounce and rock him while I vaccuum.  It always worked on DS1 as well.  So at least one chore gets done around here on a regular basis!

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page