opinion plz - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-22-2013, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello

I am a mom of 24 month old boys. I have been thinking of starting a home made baby food  business. My credentials are medical related and I have knowledge in nutrition and healing foods. I am posting this thread to take opinion on buying homemade nutritious organic food for your baby and toddler instead of buying store bought bottled food.

Please share your opinions
#2 of 4 Old 11-28-2013, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

It looks like your post may have been missed, so I'm bumping it up for attention. :bump: Anyone have opinions or suggestions to share?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 4 Old 11-29-2013, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think the toughest thing will be that, at least as far as I know, selling home cooked food is illegal unless it is cooked in the home of the customer (like a personal chef service). To sell food, you'd need to set yourself up at a consignment kitchen or something like that. And be subject to inspections, licensing, etc.

If you are talking about a more informal thing with mostly people you know though, you can probably sidestep the legalities.

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#4 of 4 Old 11-29-2013, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I think it is likely you could find busy parents who would like that service, depending on your area.

PP is right though about the legalities. You would need to know your state and county laws. Here in Colorado I am certain you would need a certified commercial kitchen which is regularly inspected. We do have cottage food laws, but I don't think the foods you are talking about would fall under those here, as they would need to be refrigerated.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page