Topponcino (Montessori sleeping pad) experiences: did it work? SIDS concerns? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-26-2013, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

After DD was well past the age of needing to be put down asleep, I read about the topponcino, or a pad/pillow you carry babies in, that also helps with transferring them from your arms without waking them up. It would have been a lifesaver if I'd known about it with DD! Now that we're having another baby in January, I want to try one--just wondering what others' experiences were with them? Did you worry about the surface being too plush for a baby to sleep on?

http://thefullmontessori.wordpress.com/2012/02/16/topponcino/

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 11-27-2013, 06:54 PM

Now I'm intrigued, too. I had a serious unsleeper last time and couldn't transfer him at all.

I'm sure the "back to sleep" advocates would say it's unsafe, but I can't seem to find any negative reports.
#3 of 5 Old 11-28-2013, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm guessing the main concern would be the baby somehow wriggling under it? I dont think the pad itself is super fluffy. I think I'm definitely going to try it, but would love to hear from those who have used it before!

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#4 of 5 Old 03-03-2014, 07:24 AM

We've been using a topponchino since birth and DD is now 5 weeks old. I have not had a single concern that she could wiggle under it and it is only an inch or so thick, so she still lays very flat. For that reason I think it would still satisfy the SIDS recommendations, though it is "an extra something" in the bassinet that probably wouldnt officially be condoned. I've also used it to have something cushioned to lay her on when setting her on the floor since we have mainly hardwood floors and flat rugs. I've started to use the pillow to cuddle her after night nursings and then transfer her (still on the topponchino) to her bassinet. It seems that this has significantly helped reduce the amount she wakes up after that transfer (previously a big problem for us) and if that is true, it is worth its weight in gold!
#5 of 5 Old 03-03-2014, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! We have used it on and off. DD is now 7 weeks old. I haven't noticed a huge difference in it helping her stay asleep, but she is also in a fussy phase and needs to be held a lot more--even a week ago I managed to put her down awake for a couple of short naps and that has all gone out the window. So I might double down on the topponcino efforts and see if it helps, but otherwise ride it out. If nothing else, it will be a sweet lovey or doll mattress for her when she's older!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page