BLW-what do I need to know? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-27-2013, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

ds2 will be 7 months on the 7th and we plan to give him his first foods on Thanksgiving(tomorrow).What do I need to know?What is okay for him to have?With ds1(almost 6yo),we did cereal a little and a few purees and then just gave him regular foods.It was so long ago and we didn't do regular foods from the beginning so I'm a little intimidated here.Help??TIA!!

#2 of 4 Old 11-27-2013, 01:09 PM

For Thanksgiving, I'd probably give a piece of sweet potato cut like a french fry.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#3 of 4 Old 11-28-2013, 08:33 AM

The way a lot of parents introduce solids is to introduce no more than one food every 2-7 days. That way if the child has an allergic or other reaction, you'll know exactly what caused it. Be careful of things like mashed potatoes, because they often contain things like milk and even sour cream and many parents avoid dairy for at least the first year of life to avoid allergies. My babies that were old enough for solids on their first Thanksgiving (now that I think of it only one of mine was) I gave her plain, unseasoned mashed sweet potato with no milk, salt, sugar or.... marshmallows. I found bringing her food from home was safer than risking something that someone else had prepared and may have added things I didn't want her to have.

I also had to watch my babies carefully at family gatherings. I lost sight of my oldest DD for a few minutes once and someone was stuffing Jello and Cool Whip into her mouth.  (Despite the fact that I had asked that no one feed her anything without my OKing it.) She liked it, but these were FAR from what I wanted a 6 month old baby eating. And there I was trying to scrape this stuff out of my baby's mouth while she was trying to hold on to it. horrors.gif 

bayosgirl87 likes this.

Attachment Parenting: The radical notion that children are human. bfinfant.gif
#4 of 4 Old 11-29-2013, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

I ended up giving him potato(before adding anything)and a green bean.He just played with it and made a mess lol which is what I expected him to do!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page