Frequent colds - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-01-2013, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all, my six month old has just started with his fifth cold. He seems to manage them relatively well when he does get them, but I'm concerned that he's sick so often. I breastfeed and he's home with me, although we are out and about in the community. I've been reading a bit about higher rates of chronic disease in adulthood correlating to frequent childhood illness. That freaked me out a bit and so I'd like to support his body in any way I can to be stronger in fighting bugs. I think I may make an appointment with the naturopath to see what we can do. But I thought I'd see what people have to say on here - anything that might help? What about chiropractic adjustments? Would that help? I'm making elderberry syrup this morning, lots of breast milk and rest for this round of germs...
He also has a diaper rash that just won't quit, he's had it for two months now. I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing...allergy or something that's stressing his body.
Thanks!
Renee

married to DH, mother to two amazing little boys born May 18/2010 and May 20/2013!

Infertility has been part of this journey - no more littles for us, but so grateful we have two happy healthy boys and we can now begin to heal from that experience

#2 of 5 Old 12-01-2013, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

How is he otherwise?  Happy?  Developmentally on track?  Any other signs of an allergy (rashes, digestive upset, hives, etc)?  If there are other concerns, I would take him to a doctor and see if there might be something else going on.  But if he's otherwise happy and healthy apart from colds, I wouldn't worry too much.  Some kids just have less effective immune systems for whatever reason.  You could try probiotics and see if those help.

bayosgirl87 likes this.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#3 of 5 Old 12-01-2013, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

How was his delivery?  Did you have antibiotics?  I know there are lots of things that can wipe out gut bacteria for the little ones, maybe you need to get a good probiotic?  I had abx with DD1 and she got sick quite a bit for the first year or so.  It got a bit better at 8ish months when I introduced probiotics.   DD1 also had terrible yeast that was so hard to get rid of.  Is your LO's rash yeast?

Good luck.

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#4 of 5 Old 12-01-2013, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

His delivery was extremely gentle, no antibiotics. He was given one dose of antibiotics at a week old, which he threw up soon after receiving it. That was for cold #1 and a slight fever. The paediatrician told me not to continue the meds, which was music to my ears, so I didn't give him any more.
I think I'm dealing with yeast these days but he seems to be yeast free...I think. He has a persistent diaper rash, that he's had for two months. That is starting to concern me too as no cream will settle it. He also had mild reflux for the first five months or so. So probiotics may be a good idea. I'll pick some up.

married to DH, mother to two amazing little boys born May 18/2010 and May 20/2013!

Infertility has been part of this journey - no more littles for us, but so grateful we have two happy healthy boys and we can now begin to heal from that experience

#5 of 5 Old 12-10-2013, 08:40 AM

Keep nursing, maybe delay solids. Look into allergies. Also if vaxing maybe start spacing out more. Try coconut oil on his bum or kissas diaper rash mix, even breastmilk smile.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page