Quiet time in lieu of naps - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-02-2013, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There are times when my baby is obviously tired, but wakes up because of a random sound or from being moved from my arms. If she has opened her eyes up and cooed a little, is she too awake to still out down for some quiet time or hopefully a self induced nap?

I hear this advice all over the place, but I'm not sure I get it. And how long should I wait before picking her pack up again and resuming activities if she doesn't fall asleep quickly?

For example, I just nursed her to sleep, laid her down, and she woke up. She is still calm and quiet in the room with he sound machine on., but not sleeping. Is 15 minutes a good amount of time to wait if she remains calm but not asleep? Or should it be longer to give her a chance to self soothe?

(Btw, I'm trying to get away from baby wearing for all naps, that's why I am trying this, and I am happy to nurse her to sleep in bed when I can, but it's not always clear when she is going to fall asleep for nursing, so I don't always get to nurse her in bed)

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#2 of 6 Old 12-02-2013, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

If she's calm and not fussing, I would say leave her as long as she's fine (or until she falls asleep).  There were naps where my daughter would coo in her crib for 45 minutes before falling asleep.  Sometimes babies need some alone time too.  :)

I can't remember how old your LO is, but we started putting our daughter down drowsy but not asleep for naps around 5 months and I think it made a huge difference in her nighttime sleep a few months later.  She could self-soothe and get herself back to sleep pretty easily.

Backroads likes this.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012.  Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013.
#3 of 6 Old 12-02-2013, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Interesting. Today she seemed calm for about 10 minutes, then excited, and finally sounding lonely after about 20, so, no sleep, but not a bad experience overall. I'll keep trying this and see if she ever falls asleep on her own! 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#4 of 6 Old 12-02-2013, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have a mobile for times like this (we co-sleep most of the time, but there is still a crib...).  She loves that thing, and more often than not it helps her back to sleep.

--Breastfeeding----2nd grade Teaching----Cosleeping----Cloth Diapering -- --Bookworm Mom
#5 of 6 Old 12-02-2013, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

@Backroads, that's interesting. DD seems to find hers quite stimulating. She gets excited when I put it on her bassinet (it's removable). How long does she look at it before sleeping usually? 

#6 of 6 Old 12-02-2013, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthiamoon View Post

@Backroads, that's interesting. DD seems to find hers quite stimulating. She gets excited when I put it on her bassinet (it's removable). How long does she look at it before sleeping usually? 

A couple of minutes, tops. 

Granted, I never expected that. I had always heard mobiles were usually distracting, and I didn't give her one till she was about five months (I intended it to be for play time.)  But it plays classical music... and somehow it sends her to sleep.

--Breastfeeding----2nd grade Teaching----Cosleeping----Cloth Diapering -- --Bookworm Mom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page