Keeping baby #2 safe in a house with a curious toddler - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-08-2013, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Hi Mamas,

I've got a very active, very curious 2 year old who loves his 2 month old baby brother like crazy. DS2 is still tiny and happiest in my arms, but a time will come when he'll want to be out of my arms a little more (and when I'll want that, too.) Right now I wear him most of the time, but I'm thinking ahead to that time when that won't be the case.

I never used a playpen with DS1, but I'm thinking about it now. But I'm terrified that DS1 will try to climb in and pull the whole thing over. Apparently I did something similar with my little sister in a bassinet when I was 2.

Any of you have a new baby with a curious, toddler sibling? How do you keep the littlest one safe?

x-posting to life with a toddler.

Thanks for any ideas!
#2 of 6 Old 12-08-2013, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

You really need to either keep baby up in arms, or in a playpen, right by you.  My first 2 were just over 2 years apart, and even when they are just trying to be curious, they can really hurt a baby.... that is not to mention when they do things to purposefully hurt the baby.   I still have to keep DS up most of the time, or right in the room with me.  He is 10 months and the others are 5 and 3.  there is just so much that can go wrong.   Tummy time and playing has to happen when you are right there.  My 5 year old 'gets it' and still does so many things to DS that can hurt him.  

They will eventually grow and you will have more free time for them to play together, but that won't be for a while (like when baby is 18 months).

I just don't get much done unless DS is in a carrier and the other 2 are playing.  Most house work happens after DH gets off work.  

Good luck. 

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#3 of 6 Old 12-08-2013, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
My oldest was 2.5yo when DD2 was born. I wore her constantly for the first 4 months or so but I would have done that anyway (4th trimester). Other than that, it was just constant supervision, constant reminders (no jumping on the bed when the baby is there) and both of them getting older so DD1 is slightly more controlled and DD2 slightly more robust.

It is constant though. I was reflecting the other day that that I must have said "don't pull I's legs" approximately 3000 times now and it is still happening one year on. Guess I should have come up with a more creative strategy but I'm too sleep deprived to be imaginative.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#4 of 6 Old 12-08-2013, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm in the same boat and subbing for ideas... my DD is 2.5 and her little sister was born a week ago. The first time around, we went super-minimal with the baby gear (no crib, play pen, bouncers, etc) but I'm wondering if I'll need to rethink that this time. 

#5 of 6 Old 12-08-2013, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I guess it depends on your lifestyle and individual kids. We didn't have any of those things for number one either and didn't find we needed them for number two. I did wonder about a basket for sleeping in during the day but she just slept on me or in our bed (once she was a bit older) during the day.

We did add a single mattress to the family bed before DD2 was born, to give us more space. DD1 slept on that and DD2 slept between DH and me on the queen mattress. When DD2 was about 8mo she and I moved to the spare room so I could night-wean DD1. We all slept so much better that we've stayed there. DH and I miss each other and we miss a family bed but it's working well for all our sleep needs for now.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#6 of 6 Old 12-11-2013, 06:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wore baby#2 for the first half year and that kept him safe. Then an eight year gap between kids means that I can leave#3 in their arms for a few minutes and trust them with their sister! Awesome perk!

nak.gif Relentless mommy of 2 mancubs, 8 & 10 years old.... and now a little lady (Oct 2013)!      computergeek2.gif   http://relentlessmommy.com   

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page