45 degrees in CA, what to wear for 6 month old under Ergo outside? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-08-2013, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello all! Debating on wind-proof fleece vs down fill. First of all, I know it is frigid everywhere else, so I am not complaining! :)

I would like to order our son something to wear outside this time of year, in these slightly chilly CA winters. This is our first winter with a baby. We love to take him out, either on hikes in his Ergo, or on stroller walks.

I am debating between a Columbia all-in-one bunting "snowsuit" in two different materials..... (if that's the word, but the legs and arms are independent, not like a sack)......either in a nice quality (not thin but not insanely thick) fleece that is treated to be wind and water resistant, or just getting the down puffer, 100g.

It probably will be about 45 most of the time, for the time of day I'm wanting to take him out, and windy. When I go outside with a fleece as my outerwear, in 45 degrees here, I am okay, but I could see a baby might feel slightly chilly, especially with wind?

But considering it will be 45-50.....down fill puffer seems like overkill, and I'll have him in the Ergo half the time, so would he overheat in Ergo wearing down? But then I think, gee, fleece seems like not enough. If I am playing in the yard with him, I'm a little chilly in fleece. I keep going back and forth. Help!!!

#2 of 7 Old 12-08-2013, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

ps--I am going to get him a nice hat with ear flaps, and the bunting will have the fold-over fabric for his arms and feet, so I think those will be "covered" for chilly temps.

My son is crazy-active already, and hates being cooped up in the house all day. I am trying to help the poor kid out by giving him some outdoor time, even now! :)

#3 of 7 Old 12-08-2013, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I usually just have my kids in regular clothes (pants, socks and robeez, long sleeved shirts, maybe a sweatshirt and a hat.)  Then I wear them and zip up my jacket/ sweatshirt around them.  I also tuck a blanket around the legs if they are exposed.  I do this even into the  20s and 30s and they stay warm enough.  when I bundle them too much, it is hard to make sure they have a clear breathing path.... also I feel like it is easy for them to get over heated.  

For stroller, that is harder.  I would say one of the stroller zip up sleeping bag things?  I wonder if you could heat up a little rice pack for under his bum on the seat (that is where my kids feel the most cold when we are walking.  Mine all much prefer staying close (wearing) when it is cold.  Now that my olders are 3 and 5, they will ride in the stroller with hats, gloves, and blankets all around them.... they can control things covering their faces though.  

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#4 of 7 Old 12-08-2013, 03:47 PM

It gets colder here in New England and I used the fleece. I find it's easier to put on and for them to move. My older son is 4 and he still uses fleece to play in the snow. for the ergo the puffer will likely be too hot and uncomfortable. the oversized jacket for you zipped over both of you is fantastic for front carry cause it's less work dressing and undressing. But for back carry the fleece is great. Stay warm :)

:
#5 of 7 Old 12-08-2013, 07:50 PM

I think the fleece is the way to go.  Down will be waaay warmer than you need.  I agree with PPs, the easiest way to keep them warm is to buy either a baby wearing jacket (pretty expensive though!) or an oversized jacket of appropriate weight/warmth for the temperature that you can zip around you both.  Then babe benefits from your body heat and vice versa.  I also found baby legs really great for winter baby wearing because their pant legs tend to hike up in the Ergo so these keep their little legs covered and warm.

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#6 of 7 Old 12-12-2013, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! smile.gif well, I ordered the fleece one....but it ended up being the wrong size, and now that I have thought about it more, I am going to just put two pairs of his cotton pants on him. He also received a fleece jacket as a gift, so I will make that work smile.gif

Thank you for the ideas! It sounds like he'll be okay. I may get the weather shield for our jogging stroller, so his face doesn't get chapped smile.gif
#7 of 7 Old 12-13-2013, 11:19 AM

I would do something warmer for his legs and feet.  Wool or fleece pants to go over cotton ones, and shearling or fleece booties with socks for the feet.  My kids always get cold limbs on winter hikes in the ergo- I feel so bad when their tiny dangling feet get so cold!

And- I have that Columbia down bunting.  I love it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page