How cold is too cold? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-11-2013, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The weather is getting pretty cold, today is 21 degrees but with the wind it's 9. I think it's too cold to take baby out even bundled. So what is the cut off temp? I am thinking with wind chill maybe 25?
#2 of 8 Old 12-11-2013, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Well, I've had my kids outside when it was colder than 9F before the windchill, dealing with cold is a skill, just like anything else.  Personally, I found an amauti to be useful.  In some places people make a point of taking babies outside in the cold.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21537988

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amauti

#3 of 8 Old 12-11-2013, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelsmama View Post

Well, I've had my kids outside when it was colder than 9F before the windchill, dealing with cold is a skill, just like anything else.  Personally, I found an amauti to be useful.  In some places people make a point of taking babies outside in the cold.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21537988

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amauti

Wow that was pretty interesting! And here I thought I would be stuck inside!

How do you keep babies face warm? Do you use a scarf or anything?
#4 of 8 Old 12-11-2013, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylab View Post

Wow that was pretty interesting! And here I thought I would be stuck inside!

How do you keep babies face warm? Do you use a scarf or anything?

I never had much luck with scarves staying in place, but the kids both had knitted wool "neck warmers" that could be pulled up over their lower faces, their hats had ear flaps, etc... and when they were in the amautiq or other carrier they could just duck down inside if they liked.  I find that stores that cater to hikers, cyclists, campers, etc... (like REI or MEC) tend to have a useful assortment of kids' winter gear since they cater to people who want to spend time outside.

#5 of 8 Old 12-11-2013, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Yep, there's no real cutoff. We took my 6 month old daughter out skiing and snowshoeing in the teens last year and she stayed super warm and loved it. She was in a bunting with extra hat, gloves, and socks and cozied up in the Ergo. Babies live in very harsh climates and survive just fine. Just use your common sense and if the baby seems fussy or upset, take her inside to check for possible chill.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#6 of 8 Old 12-11-2013, 11:38 PM

I live in Alaska and if 9 degrees above zero was too cold for babies, we'd be stuck at home all winter. Which is about 8 months long here. I try to avoid going out with baby when the temp drops to 20 below zero but sometimes it can't be helped. It gets to -40 here now and then and even that won't stop us from having to go out on occasion although I don't much enjoy it. I have a large coat that I like to wear baby inside and or if I don't want to take baby out of the car seat, I have a cover that goes over the top of it to keep the wind out. It's all about making sure baby is bundled well. It's no big deal. 

Mama505 likes this.

~Stephanie )O(

DS- 07/01 & DD- 09/05 & DD- 12/07 & DS- 10/13

#7 of 8 Old 12-12-2013, 12:42 AM

We've been doing walks with our 3mo old and it is around 10*F here right now.  Just like everyone else said, we bundle him up and keep an eye on him to make sure he seems comfortable.  He wears a pilot cap under the hood of his bunting thingy, but if his face gets cold he buries it into me (I carry him in an Ergo) or DH (he carries him in a ring sling).  There are really cozy woolens for babies out there, just google 'wool onsies' or 'wool bodysuits for babies'. 

Get out there and have fun this winter, and congrats on the new babe!

#8 of 8 Old 12-12-2013, 09:14 PM

We had a cold snap of around 10 degrees and I bundled my daughter up in a wool ruskovilla bodysuit or in Engel wool pants and shirt and a wool Engel romper plus a wool pilot cap. We didn't spend much time in the cold. When we do, I also add a Capilene layer, which a performance synthetic from Paragonia. The getup is $$$, but she was warmer than I was in my clothes!

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page