Book suggestions? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 12-16-2013, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all. I'm new to this site and ttc #1. Any recommendations for books about progressive parenting? Thanks in advance!

Me (38), single parent by choice and transgender, TTC #1 via IVF.  

tried unsuccessfully via BD in '01 and unsuccessfully via ICI in '11. Endometriosis, ovarian cysts, anovulation, oh my... left fallopian tube removed in '12. now on to IVF.  my IVF journey is at pride-of-lions.blogspot.com

#2 of 28 Old 12-16-2013, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
I liked " radical parenting"
Best
#3 of 28 Old 12-17-2013, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, tracyamber! I read the review online and it looks good - I will check it out!  

tried unsuccessfully via BD in '01 and unsuccessfully via ICI in '11. Endometriosis, ovarian cysts, anovulation, oh my... left fallopian tube removed in '12. now on to IVF.  my IVF journey is at pride-of-lions.blogspot.com

#4 of 28 Old 12-17-2013, 07:27 PM

I guess I'm not really sure what qualifies as progressive parenting, but if you're into a very gentle, kind approach to parenting which focuses on the relationship between parent and child rather than strategies for making them behave, then I recommend The Vital Touch for babies and Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids for older children.

SAHM of newborn boy, 2 year old girl, and 4 year old boy. Visit my website: http://researchparent.com
#5 of 28 Old 12-18-2013, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, researchparent!  That's helpful! I wasn't sure exactly how to ask what I'm trying to ask... I guess I could rephrase the question as - what is your favorite book that I may not hear about in groups of mothers that are afraid of cosleeping, natural birth etc, for infancy and beyond?  Not sure if I muddied the waters at all.  I'm new here. :2whistle

Maybe I should just ask your favorite parenting books in general.  :)

I will check out the two you recommended.  They look great!

Thanks again!

#6 of 28 Old 12-18-2013, 03:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Not sure what topics you're interested in but you could look at Pinky McKay's books. She is a lactation consultant and has written a book on baby sleeping and another one on parenting toddlers. She is very pro-gentle/natural parenting. Absolutely against CIO, harsh discipline etc.

If you're on Facebook she also has a page there where she posts info and links to her blog.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#7 of 28 Old 12-18-2013, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I love The Continuum Concept by Jean Liedloff--not exactly a parenting book, more about life in general, but does have good arguments for the natural approach.

Adventures in Gentle Discipline by Hilary Flower is my top recommendation for prenatal reading on discipline; it gives you a good foundation for the early years.

How Children Learn by John Holt is a great way to open your eyes to what your child is learning from everyday life, especially around 1-5 years old.

The Family Bed by Tine Thevenin is a great argument for co-sleeping.

The Baby Book by Bill & Martha Sears is a great general reference, very supportive of AP.

Here are my reviews of all of the above with a little more detail.

I got from the library a book that I think was called Our Babies, Ourselves by Meredith someone?  Cross-cultural comparisons and very interesting.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#8 of 28 Old 12-18-2013, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

OMG - YES! This is great - thank you all!!!  Now to start reading.  :)  Thanks!

#9 of 28 Old 12-27-2013, 11:14 AM

for the early baby stuff, I'm a fan of most of the Dr Sears library; my favorite book on decision in vaccines is Vaccinations: A Thoughtful Parents Guide on the Risks, Benefits, and Alternatives by Aviva Jill Romm and i think she has a good book on alternative healthcare for babies/kids though i've not read it but i like her writing style; it's dated but i still love the book "How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of your Doctor" by Dr Robert Mendelsohn...and as for books on parenting/discipline in general, i really enjoyed the book "Positive Discipline for Preschoolers"-- though i'm sure other books in the series are also good, same theory, getting away from a "punishment"minded way of raising kids, etc. Really helped me to get into the mind of my 2-3 yr old and why he behaved as he did, and how to work WITH him in helping him learn to handle his own big emotions and also to set ourselves up for success so things werent always a battle of wills.

and not books, but I've learned a LOT from articles in Mothering magazine back when it was in print, so if you can come by any old copies, some of those articles were really helpful. First time I ever read something at length about nursing past the first year, was in an article in Mothering magazine. At the time i thought "cool, but I dont see me doing it" --- that was when my first was 2 months old. LOL, i ended up nursing him til he self weaned at 22 months, and i'm still nursing my youngest who is 4  yrs ;-)

#10 of 28 Old 12-27-2013, 11:26 AM

Sage Parenting: Where Nature Meets Nurture by Rachel Rainbolt, M.A., CEIM. Here is the website: http://www.sageparenting.com/

#11 of 28 Old 12-27-2013, 12:01 PM

Raising an emotionally intelligent child by John Gottman
#12 of 28 Old 12-27-2013, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My favorite books:

the business of baby  http://www.amazon.com/The-Business-Baby-Corporations-Childbirth/dp/1451636083/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388174771&sr=8-1&keywords=the+business+of+baby

Simplicity parenting  http://www.amazon.com/Simplicity-Parenting-Extraordinary-Calmer-Happier/dp/0345507983/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388174812&sr=8-1&keywords=simplicity+parenting

Baby matters  http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Matters-Revised-2nd-Edition/dp/0975317016/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388174851&sr=8-1&keywords=baby+matters

And the classic la leche league book The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding was very helpful to me in the first few weeks

I also love How to Raise a healthy child in spite of your dr, recommended by another poster.  I keep that one as a reference and always refer to it when my kids get sick,

All the best!!  Getting ready for your first child is SUCH an exciting time :)

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

#13 of 28 Old 12-27-2013, 12:17 PM

Anything in the Sears family of books and probably the most influence on me as a young parent was the Continuum Concept. Not a manual but rather something that will give you a profound understanding of human nature.
#14 of 28 Old 12-27-2013, 02:06 PM

I'm currently reading Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves by Naomi Aldort and ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!! Definitely definitely check it out!

I also really liked It's OK Not to Share and Other Renegade Rules for Raising Competent and Compassionate Kids by Heather Shumaker...though to be honest I need to go back and finish it now that my child is a little older. I have a friend who uses this book as her constant guide and I keep meaning to restart it.

Joyfully married to my luv (6/7/09) blowkiss.gif / Early loss at 11w3d w/ Minerva (6/23/10) angel1.gif / Beautiful breech homebirth.jpg w/ Aurora Jan (5/29/11) / Due with our son in April 2014
#15 of 28 Old 12-27-2013, 02:33 PM

P.E.T. (Parent Effectiveness Training) is all about being an active listener and really LISTENING to what your child is saying or struggling with as a way to have more positive conflict resolution throughout your life as a parent. Talking with the child rather than AT them. I loved it, in fact it really helped interactions with all people in my life. Any parent or potential teacher should read it for sure!

#16 of 28 Old 12-27-2013, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Oh wow - these are amazing.  Maybe now I won't mind that IVF is such a long process. You have given so many great suggestions here, I can keep busy reading while waiting.  :thumb

Thank you all - and have a great weekend!

#17 of 28 Old 12-27-2013, 03:57 PM

Liberated Children, Liberated Parents by Mazlish and Faber is my favorite.  Dr. Sears is wonderful for babies and toddlers.  But perhaps the one that has stuck with me the most is The Inner Work of Mindful Parenting by Jon Cabat-Zinn and Myra Cabat-Zinn.

#18 of 28 Old 12-28-2013, 04:12 AM

The Continuum Concept,    Our Babies, Ourselves  All books by Jane Healey,  The Family Bed   Magical Child   John Holt's books on unschooling offer profound wisdom about children, Mothering magazine, of course - I started reading it years before I had my son and it altered, for the better, every single view I had on children and parenting.  Dr. William Sears has some great books out. Good luck!

#19 of 28 Old 12-28-2013, 09:53 AM

I'm also not sure what qualifies as "progressive" but here are my top favourites and I keep going back to them:

• Between Parent and Child by Dr. Haim Ginot
  • How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk  and Liberated Parents, Liberated Children, both by Faber and Mazlish
  • Simplicity Parenting by Kim John Payne and Lisa M. Ross

​and so far my favourite:

• Hold On to Your Kids by Neufeld and Mate  <--- This book is helping me the most now that DD is no longer a baby but a strong-willed child with very clear opinions. 

Mama to my little Lily luxlove.gif (09/2010), and a sweet baby boy joy.gif (12/2012)

#20 of 28 Old 12-30-2013, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)

I recently got EC Simplified. It's not a general parenting book- but I want ot mention it because I desperately wish I had known about elimination communication before kiddo came around and it's a really good introductory book. :)

#21 of 28 Old 12-30-2013, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

oooh - I don't even know what elimination communication is.  :)  guess I will need to do some more reading.

I'm trying to check out as many of these as I can.  You all rock my world!

#22 of 28 Old 01-02-2014, 09:18 AM

Unconditional Parenting by Alfie Kohn is my favorite

#23 of 28 Old 01-09-2014, 07:56 PM

Nothing to add, as these are all great suggestions--except read now while you still can!  :thumb

#24 of 28 Old 01-12-2014, 08:06 PM

I joined this site (i'm a shameless lurker! <3) just so I could post my fave book.

Parenting for a Peaceful World by Robin Grille

I read it every once in awhile and it's just such an awesome book. I highly recommend!
#25 of 28 Old 01-14-2014, 11:17 AM

Pink Brain, Blue Brain is one I am reading now.  It is about brain development and how gender roles are not as set as we like to believe.  She makes suggestions for raising boys and girls to develop areas of the brain that traditional gender roles preclude.  It is a fascinating and I am hoping useful book.  I am pregnant with my first child so cannot comment on results yet.  :)

Another one I just read is called Conscious Parenting. She talks about how kids can trigger areas of unconsciousness and that they can be an opportunity for us to become conscious and present and heal past hurts basically.  Really interesting book as well.

One that is on my shelf is Raising Children Compassionately: Parenting the Nonviolent Communication Way.  I have not picked that one up yet but it sounds like something that would be helpful in raising compassionate kids.

Anyway, just some ideas.  :)

pokeyac likes this.
#26 of 28 Old 01-14-2014, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Wow! These are great suggestions. I feel so behind already and my baby is only 6 months old. So many expectant parents spend so much time preparing for the birth we forget to learn about what happens after.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#27 of 28 Old 01-14-2014, 12:14 PM

Course there is no guarantee when you read a book.  The baby could be born and nothing you read helps at all!  Congratulations on your beautiful baby.  :) 

#28 of 28 Old 01-14-2014, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by India3412 View Post

Course there is no guarantee when you read a book.  The baby could be born and nothing you read helps at all!  Congratulations on your beautiful baby.  smile.gif 

So true! Plus, it could be true one week and then change the next.

Thank you!

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page