Activities to engage baby pulling to stand? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-30-2013, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son has started pulling himself up about 2 months ahead of schedule. Not that the timing matters much, but I feel ill-prepared, and it's hard to keep up with him! I sometimes feel like no one can relate. He seems to be hitting these milestones pretty quickly, and I am struggling to keep him entertained. I was wondering what I can do to keep him happy and stimulated. He is a little explorer and a little escape artist. I guess all parents go through this issue, but I guess it's hard because none of my mommy friends are at this stage yet (the ones whose babies are my son's age, 6-7 months).

Basically, he wants to get into everything, he never stops. He was crawling 6 weeks ago, at 5 1/2 months, and is now standing. He climbs over things, opens cabinets, touches everything. He loves......everything. It is easy to entertain him, yet so hard to burn off all that energy. He is in the stage where he wakes up in the middle of the night to play and stand in his crib. He stands up, and wants me in there, just so I will pick him up so he can keep exploring the house. I read that that is the cause of the 8-10 month sleep regression. The big developmental milestones they go through, then alllll they wanna do is practice those new skills.

What do you all do? How do you get them to wind down when needed? And during play time, what are some age-appropriate games or activities? Help!

#2 of 3 Old 12-30-2013, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I bring mine to bed with me and snuggle him close when it's really time to sleep and he doesn't get it. Sometimes he yells and kicks for a bit, maybe stopping if I sing. Nursing back to sleep usually soothes him plenty but occasionally I have to pin him down like that.

Childproof all you can, block off one room to keep his things in and keep him there most of the time. High chair in the kitchen with food to distract him is good too. I never worry about finding things for them to do, just protect from dangerous things and keep an eye on him and let him do his own thing til he yells to hold him. From 6-10 months my early mover wanted almost nothing to do with toys, more wanted things from kitchen cabinets, phones or phone cases, video game controllers, etc. His brothers held his hands encouraging standing a lot, and played chase while crawling. He was standing alone by 9.5m walking by 10m or so. Christmas came round at 11m and he got http://www.amazon.com/KidKraft-Zig-Zag-Ball-Run/dp/B0040MERO4 and http://www.amazon.com/PlanToys-Plan-Preschool-Walk-Roll/dp/B000RMPQKU among other things now he plays with toys again sometimes.

#3 of 3 Old 12-31-2013, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are in the same boat.  DD is almost 7 months old and a mover and a shaker.  I call her my little spaz, lol! She is also pulling up and can cruise along some furniture.  Thank goodness she hasn't learned how to open cabinets yet, but she is trying.  I agree with the PP who said that focusing on making a safe place for them to explore is more important than trying to entertain them.  DD does want me to help her stand up, and she is much more socially oriented than my first was, so I understand that aspect to it too, making it harder for you to just let  them be a little.  My first was mobile relatively early too, but he was much more thoughtful about his actions, DD just goes and goes and goes, gets knocked over, and goes some more.  Cause and effect are still being worked out, haha.  

My advice is to kind of go with the flow.  You really can't stop their brains from focusing on this stuff.  I mean, try to keep a good bedtime routine to help them wind down, but realize that it's totally normal for them to have odd hours and not be able to settle down.  If you can just accept that this is a really fun (although tiresome!) part of babyhood, you can just relax and try to enjoy it a bit rather than try to fight it.  

With my son, I tried to let him learn natural consequences for things...like I would let him try to climb things and let him start to fall so that he understood that that particular activity was beyond his ability.  For us it worked really well - DS was able to have a really good sense about what he was capable of and what he wasn't, and I think that is so important because when something was outside of his ability, he wouldn't attempt to do it...or he knew which tables weren't sturdy enough for him to climb.  It was easier than constantly having to distract him from things.  

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page