How do babies learn to crawl? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 04-27-2004, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, my 9 month old son isn't crawling yet. He's not even showing signs that he's interested. He just sits and plays with his toys and will occasionally reach out for a toy that he's batted away but then he just falls over and cries helplessly.

Now, last time I posted about this (when he was 8 months) everyone said not to worry that he will crawl in his own time. I get that. I just want to make sure I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing to facilitate the crawling.

For example... will he go from sitting to crawling or from tummy to a crawl position? Should I be giving him tummy time? Should I be urging him to crawl? Should he be on a boppy pillow?

In other words... from a developmental perspective babies begin to crawl when "what" happens? Fill in the "what."

I just want to make sure I'm not the one delaying his progress and I want to give him experience doing whatever it is babies do right before they crawl.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 24 Old 04-27-2004, 11:43 PM

Tummy time... That's when he learns to push himself up on his hands and knees... My DS2 just rocked back and forth forever!!! Then, one day, right after I said to my mother, "I don't know if he'll ever crawl", he took off headed straight for the newspaper!!! :LOL
#3 of 24 Old 04-27-2004, 11:46 PM

Oh i'm gald i'm not the only one obsesed about when my child will learn to crawl. I get down on the floor and try to show her!!!
#4 of 24 Old 04-28-2004, 12:57 AM

Definitely tummy time. My boys both did the army crawl first, then moved up to the hands and knees crawl.

But, crawling isn't a necessary developmental stage. Just remember that. Not all kids crawl, and they develop just fine.
#5 of 24 Old 04-28-2004, 02:46 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, if he never crawls, and I'm open to that since he never rolled over either (except 3 times in rapid succession when I was trying to prove to hubby that he couldn't roll over...). But then is he going to go to the walking stage? And how will that happen?

I guess my revised question is... how can I get him interested in moving? I mean, when I put him on his tummy he acts like a turtle on his back.
#6 of 24 Old 04-28-2004, 04:27 AM

Does he not roll over anymore? I ask b/c for a long time before Will tried to crawl, he was rolling all over the place. He would get interested in a toy or something and roll over to it. Then I think that stimulated his interest in crawling - seeing that he could move and get stuff.

Maybe you could show him how to roll toward something that he's interested in?

Just for anecdotal purposes, I never crawled (I mean, obviously, I know how to crawl NOW, but as an infant/toddler I didn't crawl. Mom says I did this funny "humping" (her description) on my back, pushing w/my heels. Then I walked. Now my son rolled like a maniac, then army crawled for a looooong time, and had been "cruising" on the furniture for a while before he learned to crawl "properly".

Oh, and Will hated "tummy time", too - he would roll over as soon as he could. I didn't force it. Instead, I did a lot of holding him upright on my lap. That way, he could see the world, and I think it helped to get him interested in moving around.
#7 of 24 Old 04-28-2004, 09:46 PM

Does your baby have any baby friends he can watch crawling/walking/rolling? I ask because my 7 month-old started crawling with a vengeance after going to a LLL meeting with me, and intently watching all the older babies crawling and walking... Seems like they inspired him or something. ?
cynthiamoon likes this.
#8 of 24 Old 04-28-2004, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

he doens't have peers, but that's a great idea. Maybe I'll take him to Gymboree or something similar where the babies are hanging out. Thanks for the idea!
#9 of 24 Old 04-28-2004, 10:40 PM

OOPS! Double Post

Working on getting used to the new format - guess I goofed!

- see below!
#10 of 24 Old 04-28-2004, 10:41 PM

Is your baby just a mellow, content kid?

Don't stress about it. There are no rules of how a child learns to crawl. My middle child didn't crawl until he was 10 1/2 months old. He could sit up by then and was happy to play with toys sitting up, but didn't care if they went out of his reach. He'd just play with whatever toys were nearby. He didn't roll over often, even though I knew he could b/c it happened once or twice. He was not into tummy time, so I didn't push it. He started crawling by sitting up and then leaning onto his hand and getting up on his knees from there and moving forward (does that make sense?).

From what I've seen with my boys babies learn to walk by first learning to stand by holding onto something - like pulling up to the coffee table. Then they start to cruise - walk around the coffee table holding onto it for stability. Then they start to make short little walks - like coffee table, step, step couch, tah-dah!

I don't think you need to worry about motivating your child to move more if he's not interested. He will when he's ready.
#11 of 24 Old 04-28-2004, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
my older dd didn't crawl til she was about 10 mo. she was just more concerned with her fine motor development rather than large motor i think. she loved to play with little things with her hands.

i have a friend who's ds2 never crawled but scooted on his bum instead. he could really move fast, too.

i wouldn't stress about it. he'll develop in his own time at his own pace and you might have the benefit of not having to chase him around as much as those early large motor skill developing kids who crawl at 5 mo and walk at 8 mo.

hth

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#12 of 24 Old 04-29-2004, 12:51 AM

HI Erin! Our poor kids heck im currently obsessing that my son who is 6 months doesnt bounce when i hold him. I would give him a lil time however how is he doing with his other milestones? is he NOT consistantly rolling over? Does he reach and play with toys? If crawling alone is the only concern I wouldnt worry. HOwever as a mom we do.. If it does bother you then you may want to ask his DR some questions or maybe get a eval done..I used to be a therapist with children before a SAHM .
#13 of 24 Old 04-29-2004, 12:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How much tummy time do you give? My son h a t e s it. He is four months old and he wants to be held by me almost constantly. I don't mind; in fact I like it. I am worried about him being able to develop properly. I'll put him down adn he might stay under the TinyTots gym for twenty minutes but then he screeches for me. As far as tummy time goes, you can forget it! Like with yours, Erin, he acts like a turtle on his back when I put him on his tummy. Even for massage, he won't put up with it for long.

What would be a good goal for him to be on the floor reaching/trying tummy time? five minutes? fifteen? dont wory and just hold him all day?

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
#14 of 24 Old 04-29-2004, 12:55 AM

OH About your other question it can vary how they end up actually getting up to crawl ( as they can do it anytime) some do it after they have been on their belly.......they will lift themselves up, others when put in the sitting position ......will reach out and front and get on all fours and others by the time they crawl are able to get into sitting or tummy by themselves and do what they choose.. Does that make sense? Im sure as long as he has freedom on the floor you are doing great.. heck even when you are holding him thats good for him also ( vestibular input..movement)
#15 of 24 Old 04-29-2004, 09:27 AM

I just wanted to add that I read somewhere (can't remember where) that crawling isn't actually a developmental milestone. Some babies do the 'army crawl', some scoot, some roll...
#16 of 24 Old 05-01-2004, 12:21 AM

nak
i was talking about this with my mom when ds was a tiny baby. she brought up a good point: what about the american indian tribes in which cradleboards were used? those babies were strapped down like ALL the time against a rigid frame ... but when the time came for each baby to crawl, it learned to crawl. and jean liedloff wrote that yequana moms carried their babies in slings ALL the time, until the babies wanted to crawl, and those babies crawled too.

also i knew a chick once whose daughter was a very roly poly baby, quite round ... and she never crawled, she rolled. the mom said her baby would roll a ways, stop, sit up and reorient her trajectory, roll again and so on.

i personally wouldn't be too concerned about stimulating or motivating or any of that ... it seems to me that the babies have an incredibly powerful internal drive to progress and eventually their time will come ... and you'll wish for the peace you had when they were stationary
#17 of 24 Old 05-01-2004, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlndocs
nak
i was talking about this with my mom when ds was a tiny baby. she brought up a good point: what about the american indian tribes in which cradleboards were used? those babies were strapped down like ALL the time against a rigid frame ... but when the time came for each baby to crawl, it learned to crawl. and jean liedloff wrote that yequana moms carried their babies in slings ALL the time, until the babies wanted to crawl, and those babies crawled too.

also i knew a chick once whose daughter was a very roly poly baby, quite round ... and she never crawled, she rolled. the mom said her baby would roll a ways, stop, sit up and reorient her trajectory, roll again and so on.

i personally wouldn't be too concerned about stimulating or motivating or any of that ... it seems to me that the babies have an incredibly powerful internal drive to progress and eventually their time will come ... and you'll wish for the peace you had when they were stationary
i giggled like mad reading the roly poly baby bit.

and thanks for the reassurance.

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
#18 of 24 Old 05-01-2004, 03:19 AM

oh wow!! Can u just picture a cute little roly poly bub - rolling around the house. LOL........
#19 of 24 Old 10-25-2013, 01:22 PM

me and my wife had the same concern with our 8 months old son , 2 -3 weeks after he started crowling with no stop !!

we are glad that he is learning and moving , now he is 9 months and a week old , so from my experience as a father I  would say :

not to worry so much ...........

#20 of 24 Old 10-26-2013, 05:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The developmental textbook answer is when they are strong enough and motivated. So putting a single toy just out of reach would be a start.

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#21 of 24 Old 10-26-2013, 05:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welovedante View Post

Does your baby have any baby friends he can watch crawling/walking/rolling? I ask because my 7 month-old started crawling with a vengeance after going to a LLL meeting with me, and intently watching all the older babies crawling and walking... Seems like they inspired him or something. ?
Excellent advice smile.gif

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#22 of 24 Old 10-26-2013, 11:08 AM

Back in the day when babies used to sleep on their tummies crawling actually DID happen sooner. Now we have to carve out "tummy time" for babies who sleep on their backs and many freak out when placed on their tummies.

Yes, I would institute more tummy time. Make it fun for both of you, lie on the floor (or bed) at eye level with him and talk to him. Then use a toy to entice him to crawl. My babies all crawled at different ages, my oldest didn't crawl until 8 months, but she loved to sit and play at that age. My middle one was about 6-7 months, and she had a really chubby belly to get over to get into a crawling position. We worked with this for a while, as she would get half way over her belly and give up. My youngest (my preterm baby) was crawling before 5 months. She was so small and light that she was able to pull her entire body weight really young. She was also very motivated to get moving. She was my busiest baby! Always looking for paper to tear up and chew, VCR tapes to unravel, getting the velcro on her Papa's sandals to open and close them over and over again. (Yes. DH is a big nerd. He wears velcro close sandals.)

There are some theories that crawling with cross motion of arms and legs facilitates language learning. I do think it's important for babies to crawl. Some kids skip that step and go right to walking, but these tend to be early walkers.

Attachment Parenting: The radical notion that children are human. bfinfant.gif
#23 of 24 Old 10-27-2013, 07:03 AM

#1: don't stress about it.  Baby will crawl when ready, and it won't make any difference in 10 years whether she did it at 7 months or 12.

#2: while nothing will stop baby from eventually getting mobile, you MAY have a more self-confident and self-entertaining baby if you don't do things that impede natural development like excessive time in baby seats/bouncers/walkers, or putting baby into a sitting position that she can't get into on her own.  You said something about him falling over when he reaches for a toy, which made me wonder if he is ready to be sitting up like you have him.  My rule of thumb for natural gross motor development is to ALWAYS lay baby down on the floor on her back, and let her do her thing - if she's ready for tummy time she'll turn over on her own and do it, if she's ready for sitting up she'll turn over and get up on her knees and go back into a sitting position.  In other words, don't sit baby up and prop with pillows to keep him from falling.  Of course, that's in an ideal world and when baby is tired or cranky for whatever reason or is used to being entertained, he may not have the energy to entertain himself for long periods of time just laying on the floor.  But work toward that goal.

here's a helpful article on natural gross motor development: http://www.janetlansbury.com/2012/04/sitting-babies-up-the-downside/

Work at home, homesteading mom sharing child care 50/50 with my wonderful WAH DH. DD1 born Jan. 2010.   March '12.   DD2 & DD3 (twins) born Feb. 2013
#24 of 24 Old 11-03-2013, 12:15 PM

my first son was all about standing up. we did tummy time and he did roll over a handful of times, but he didn't like crawling. He wanted to be walking. My opinion is that if you do things like give them examples (of other kids), give them tummy time, do things that required them to strengthen their core/leg muscles, like carrying them on your shoulders while holding both their hands for balance or holding their hands and helping them stand/walk, don't prop pillows right behind them but just around them so they have to balance on their own more, they will develop at the pace they are interested in. 

I would also add that having an incentive for movement helps, that's how both mine ended up crawling/rolling over. But both my boys were walking when they were eight months and it became much harder keeping them safe after that. So as long as you are giving them movement opportunities, don't rush it. The immobile stage has its perks. :)

Also my two cousins who didn't walk until 14 months are now the most coordinated athletic people in my family. no worries at that age, k?  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page