9mo doesn't roll over...has anyone else experienced this? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-04-2014, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my dd is 9mo and very, very rarely rolls over. she rolled over first time when she was maybe 4-5 months. it seemed like a surprise than an intention. now she seems to TRY to roll over (belly to back) and can't do it. maybe she is trying something else -- hard to say. she will pull one knee up toward her chest, put the side of her head to the floor and (seemingly) try to roll. have any of you seen this with your baby? it worries me a bit.

she easily flips from side to side in bed next to me -- several times a night, little wiggle worm that she is.

she learned to sit by herself at just under 6 months & occasionally rocks on all 4s in preparation for crawling but still seems a long way from being able to crawl.

sent using Tapatalk
#2 of 8 Old 01-04-2014, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
My ds son rolled about two times.....learned to walk at 11 months and everything else is fine. I would try not to worry too much mama.
#3 of 8 Old 01-05-2014, 11:11 AM

My boy is 7 months, so I'm not quite at your stage yet, but he doesn't roll from belly to back either. He tends to get up on hands and knees and then cry because he doesn't know where to go from there. :-) I wouldn't worry too much about it.

#4 of 8 Old 01-06-2014, 02:35 PM

My DD1 was very slow developmentally. She rolled over only a few times before a year, never crawled, wouldn't put weight on her legs, etc. At 14 months I decided to pursue physical therapy, and she finally walked at 19 months. She's 4 now and you couldn't even tell she was slow to do all these things. She is a monkey on the playground and continues to challenge herself. Some kids just develop slower than others.

My pediatrician was very worried about her lack of rolling over and crawling, but I'm glad I waited until she was past her first birthday to pursue anything.

I thought this article by Mayim Bialik was a helpful perspective on not rushing to physical therapy. It made me feel better about my own decision to wait, even if we did eventually go that route: http://www.today.com/moms/why-i-dont-force-my-kids-say-please-or-walk-1C7398514

crunchymama19 likes this.

Mom to two little girls... wonderfully 4 years and delightfully 1.5 years

Passionate about birth... GeorgiaMomsforBetterBirth.com

#5 of 8 Old 01-09-2014, 04:44 PM

Neither of my kids seem to be interested in gross motor stuff, and are content to lie around/sit forever.  It's actually nice--I figure their brains will develop a bit, and they'll be more cautious when they can finally move around well.

#6 of 8 Old 01-09-2014, 05:12 PM

My son wasn't a roller. He COULD, but he rarely did it before he was a year old. He was 9months before he crawled but walked and ran weeks later. He's 5.5 now and has great motor skills.
#7 of 8 Old 01-10-2014, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
My younger DD never really rolled. I know should could have but her big fluff butt (cloth diapers) seemed to get in the way and we also had laminate floors which she found difficult and hard to roll on.

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30***35****40**

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#8 of 8 Old 01-12-2014, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

From what I seem to hear from the medical community, straying from the "average" rarely means anything other than the baby has a different pace of development.  Keep your health care provider informed, but otherwise I wouldn't worry too much.

--Breastfeeding----2nd grade Teaching----Cosleeping----Cloth Diapering -- --Bookworm Mom

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page