extremely forgetful! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-15-2014, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I remember having a little bit of baby brain after my son was born 2 years ago, but now that I have a 4 week old and a 2 year old, I am having a really hard time remembering things. To start with the most disconcerting thing - I have flooded our laundry room twice now. DH is on the way to rent a fan to dry out the carpet the flood soaked again. I intend to "soak" something and leave the room, thinking I will come back to turn the tap off (and this is with DH watching the boys, so you would think my attention wouldn't be that divided). I also forget often where I put the mail/bills, if I've paid them, and if I've written checks properly. Not to mention forgetting where I put lists and what the heck was on them. Or what I intended to say or remember to do/look up. I try to finish sentences, even when we get interrupted by phone calls, a toddler request/meltdown, because I know that in 15 minutes, I will not remember, and before I know it, it will be a week later.

I feel pretty impaired and frustrated with myself. I am trying so hard and I feel like nothing is getting done. I know that in reality I am way more functional than after the birth of my son, but I obviously need to take it easy somehow, I just don't know when or how. I had hoped to use the next few months to prepare myself to start a small business (I would be the only employee and it would be so part-time), maybe when the littlest one is 9-12 months. I can't imagine planning dinner, let alone educating myself about business structures, taxes, billing, etc.

Does this get better? When does it stop? I feel like I'm getting OK sleep since I'm co-sleeping, but my mind does not seem to work like it did, even though I was sleep deprived before waking up with the 2 year old. ??? DH is helping a lot and I actually have a lot of support, so I guess I'm judging myself for complaining but I feel like I need some advice.

#2 of 7 Old 02-16-2014, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

anyone?

#3 of 7 Old 02-16-2014, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I see what you are saying, I too started noticing a bit of pregnancy brain in my third trimester but it increased gradually to a point where i was feeling stupid, i could not solve a simple problem and would forget things. I was seriously thinking of getting some treatment because I dint relate it to pregnancy and breastfeeding at that time. And then something happened, as I started weaning my twin boys ( they were breastfed exclusively for 6 months and weaned from 24 months and completely stopped bf by 26 months) I started noticing that my brain started having normal function again. So, I suppose its the nutrients or fatty acids that keep the neural tissue well connected is constantly being depleted by less sleep and breasfeeding. Hold on and get enough sleep, I know its not possible, but try and you will be back I am sure.joy.gif
#4 of 7 Old 02-16-2014, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Oh goodness, I had it so bad! I'm sorry. It does get better...

Mama to Silas Anansi, born 9/9/10 and Petra Eadaion, born 10/1/12.

#5 of 7 Old 02-17-2014, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

I backed our car into a truck.  I didn't see it at all, and it was a really big truck!  That was embarrassing.  I started to feel clearer around 4 months.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#6 of 7 Old 02-17-2014, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
A mother with twins about 2 years old backed into me. She forgot to look. She was so embarrassed but I totally understood.
#7 of 7 Old 02-20-2014, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! Hitting a car would be worse. We put a rubber band on the utility sink faucet so I can't leave it in the "up" position. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page