What songs do you like to sing to your baby? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 33 Old 02-17-2014, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I remember singing Three Little BIrds sometimes . . . "Don't worry about a thing, 'cause every little thing, is gonna be all right."

I never sang "rockabye baby on the treetop . . . "

What songs do/did you sing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 33 Old 02-17-2014, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
With DD, I sang Beautiful Dreamer a lot. She would be so fussy, and that song would calm her right down, like magic.

With DS, I sang Beautiful Boy, which he still loves to hear at 9 years old.

I sang (and still sing) many, many more songs to them, but those two were their own special songs as babies. love.gif
mamazee likes this.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#3 of 33 Old 02-17-2014, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)

We sing "Soft Kitty" from The Big Bang Theory.  It's our bedtime song.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Married to a wonderful woman
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our

#4 of 33 Old 02-17-2014, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have always sung all the pretty little horses to my daughters. Well, at least one simple version of it =]

mamazee likes this.
#5 of 33 Old 02-18-2014, 09:56 AM

I also sing "3 little birds" and many other Bob Marley songs, "Wake up and Live" is our fun dance party song we like and "Stir it up" when we are making meals. I often use their name in a song or just make up some rhymes, as long as they can tell YOU are enjoying yourself I dont think they care what you sing!

We have been enjoying anything by Elizabeth Mitchell lately, she often covers Woodie Guthrie songs and they are SO much fun for kids!

mamazee and stephiecordova6 like this.

We are a treehugger.gif family by nature...my beloved partner in life hippie.gifour little drummer boydrum.gif(Apr.2011) and Autumnal girlflower.gif(Oct.2013)       goorganic.jpgsigncirc1.gif  h20homebirth.gif  namaste.gif 
#6 of 33 Old 02-18-2014, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

Mine goes through stages he needs me to sing him to sleep sometimes. My/his favorites are:

Blackbird (Beatles)

Puck's Song (Kipling/Leslie Fish)

Hush-a-ba-burdie

Amazing Grace

Silent Night

#7 of 33 Old 02-19-2014, 05:37 PM

Well its been 5 or 6 years but this rings a bell.. I just realized I sang "America the Beautiful!" ha!  (probably because I knew all the words to that one!) I have a bad habit of forgetting the "rest of the words" to so many songs..  I did that while breastfeeding a lot and him falling asleep ... Ahh thanks for the memory trip :)

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
#8 of 33 Old 02-19-2014, 06:25 PM

I sing songs I know--which aren't necessarily kid songs :

Karma police and street spirit by radiohead

Luna , mayonnaise, into the arms of sleep, 33, beautiful by smashing pumpkins

Goodnight by the Beatles

Everlong, skin and bones and stranger things have happened by the foo fighters
#9 of 33 Old 02-19-2014, 08:47 PM

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I sing some old hymns I know from childhood, such as Amazing Grace, Swing Low, Sweet Chariot, I Come to the Garden, Jesus, Help Me to Stand (not from childhood), and etc.

I also sing America, the Beautiful, and the Star Spangled Banner, and a few other patriotic ones to which I know all the words.  

I sing lullaby songs like Lullaby, Twinkle-Twinkle, Black Sheep, Black Sheep, and also seasonal songs (mostly Christmas), not necessarily in season.

A lot of what I sing is based on which songs I can remember most of the words for, or sometimes I look up the verses, and learn new ones.

And sometimes I just hum a random tune. 

CynthiaCharleen likes this.

Wife to
since '98;

(former) Homeschooling, doctorate & becoming crunchier by the day;
Mom to
DSs:
06/10,
12/05, &
1/99 &
(3/15)
#10 of 33 Old 02-19-2014, 10:30 PM

To both my children and their children, I sang the songs that come to mind such as Jesus Loves the Little Children, Hush Little Baby, Away In A Manger, Amazing Grace, John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt, Lullaby and Good Night, and hum the parts I don't remember...When time came to go to bed when they were little, my grandsons would say "Sing me the baby songs, Grams!" and off we would go to rock and sing.

I will always treasure those quiet, sweet moments as they drifted off to sleep.

I told my grandson over the weekend that I had posted this answer to a question and he smiled real big as we talked about the singing as we rocked.

#11 of 33 Old 02-20-2014, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

"Beautiful Boy" by John Lennon

"Lullaby" by Dixie Chicks

"Is This Love" by Bob Marley

and of course "You are my sunshine" :)

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#12 of 33 Old 02-21-2014, 04:35 AM

Tura Lura (did I spell that right?  It's an Irish lullaby), and hubby sings U2 songs to them.  There's one that I used to have on tape and played it for my oldest when he was a baby, now he sings it to the little ones, it's called "Bear, oh  Bear."  And everyone's favorite is the Winnie the Pooh song :)

#13 of 33 Old 02-21-2014, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Beautiful boy.

Yellow.

And I humm the Babies 2010 soundtrack literally all day.

#14 of 33 Old 02-21-2014, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Manx Lullaby

Jesus Loves Me

Edelweiss

Silent Night and other Christmas carols

Said the Kind Kangaroo

Warm Kitty, Soft Kitty (which, incidentally, really was written as "Warm Kitty, Soft Kitty" and has been passed down that way in my family for generations; apparently a recent movie incorrectly popularized the lyrics as "Soft Kitty, Warm Kitty")...so if you want to sing it right ;) .... now you know.

pokeyac and CynthiaCharleen like this.

Happily married for 11 years. 9 year old son, 7 year old daughter, 5 year old daughter, and baby daughter.
#15 of 33 Old 02-21-2014, 09:13 PM

I sing "Not Even the King" by Alicia Keys and "How Much" by Mandisa. She loves it when I sing to her.
#16 of 33 Old 02-22-2014, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)

When they were tiny my top favorites were:

"Poor Boy" by Elvis Presley  (They call me poor boy poor boy, poor boy/ But I ain't lonesome/ and I ain't blue/ 'cause I'll never be a poor boy/ as long as I've got a dolly like you..."  That's dd1's baby song.

"Laudy Miss Claudie" by Elvis-- For dd2 we had a big bouncy ball for me to sit on, and I used to play this cd with old Elvis songs.  The music's rhythm was just perfect to bounce to, and this one was my favorite.  Now we call it "dd's bouncy baby song".  She's 7 now.  My collection of Buddy Holly songs was nearly as good, but not quite.

"Shenandoah" as sung by Jerry Garcia

"No Woman No Cry" by Bob Marley.  I'm not sure if  sang this for the baby or for me!

Amazing Grace

Mariah

Edelweiss

Ripple

Scarborough Fair

"For Annie"(?)  The Simon & Garfunkel song that begins "I hear the drizzle of the rain/ like a memory it falls/ soft and warm continuing/ tapping on my roof and walls"

I sang to the girls a lot.  These are just the baby songs, and just a few of them at that.  The songs helped to calm me almost more than for the baby.  More songs came later as we started dancing together.

CynthiaCharleen likes this.

"She is a mermaid, but approach her with caution. Her mind swims at a depth most would drown in."
#17 of 33 Old 02-22-2014, 04:46 PM

I love this thread. 

Three little birds here too!  Also Cat Stevens--Wide World, Oh Very Young, Peace Train, Wind, Moonshadow, Kebmo--various, Burl Ives--Green Grass Grew All Around and Froggie Went a Courting

Also Adelweiss and anything SOund of Music/ 

stephiecordova6 likes this.
#18 of 33 Old 02-22-2014, 04:47 PM

Edelweiss, not Adelweiss, which I switched to on second thought after first spelling Adelvice, lol. 

#19 of 33 Old 02-22-2014, 05:47 PM

I used to sing Thunder Road by Bruce Springsteen as a lullyby. I also used to sing the entire Rocky Horror Picture Show sound trak!

#20 of 33 Old 02-22-2014, 10:30 PM

Sang Edelweiss to my firstborn, a December baby. I sing "Stay Awake" from Mary Poppins. Stay awake/don't rest your head/don't lie down/upon your bed/you're not sleepy/as you seem/stay awake/don't nod and dream.

And not as a lullaby, but "My Baby Takes the Morning Train." It always grabs their attention during diaper changes.

pokeyac likes this.
#21 of 33 Old 02-23-2014, 02:01 AM

Here Comes (my) Sun, Beatles
Beautiful Boy, John Lennon
to my first son

I'll Take You with Me Everywhere I Go, Willie Nelson and Emmylou Harris
To my second son

The chants (yoga), Om Namo Bhagavate and Om Nama Shivaya to both.

My husband songs old Irish folk tunes to boys. smile.gif

As first son gets older, he and I are loving Big Rock Candy Mountains and playful "adult" tunes, ie. Yellow Submarine by Beatles, Apeman by The Kinks, Ani Difranco's songs on Puddle Dive...
#22 of 33 Old 02-23-2014, 04:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I make up a lot of songs during diaper changes and such;)

But real songs that we sing are: oh mr. Sun, you are my sunshine and lots of Laurie burkner songs.
#23 of 33 Old 02-23-2014, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
I always sang Baby Mine from Dumbo and Elvis I can't help falling in love with you...Our current long standing favorite though is John Denver's For Baby(Bobbie)...
#24 of 33 Old 02-23-2014, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimico View Post

Sang Edelweiss to my firstborn, a December baby. I sing "Stay Awake" from Mary Poppins. 

Feed the Birds was my personal favorite when they were little.

"She is a mermaid, but approach her with caution. Her mind swims at a depth most would drown in."
#25 of 33 Old 02-23-2014, 08:00 PM

When my son was small, I sang whatever songs I have memorized! Faith, by George Michael, Sleep (or perhaps it is called MLK) by U2. But his favorite was One More Minute by Weird Al Yankovich. I sang it once out of frustration, and it totally calmed him down. The chorus is "But I'd rather spend eternity eating shards of broken glass than spend one more minute with you." Ha! My mom used to tease me about what I would say when he grew up and asked, "Mommy, what sweet songs did you sing to me when I was a baby?"
pokeyac likes this.
#26 of 33 Old 02-26-2014, 07:31 AM

Smile by Nat King Cole and Dream a Little Dream by the Mamas and the Papas

#27 of 33 Old 02-28-2014, 09:09 AM

I'll Fly Away
Inch by Inch
Wild Mountain Thyme
John the Rabbit
This Pretty Planet by Tom Chapin
Old Joe Clark
Iowa by Dar Williams
New River Train
We Come from the Goddess
Little Red Caboose

And others...we sing a lot in this house.

Mama to T
(2007), A
('10), E
, and someone new
coming late this summer
#28 of 33 Old 02-28-2014, 09:22 AM

Lots of Johnny Cash songs!

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

#29 of 33 Old 03-01-2014, 04:29 PM

We have sung Three Luttle Birds ever since I got pregnant. DS is now 4 and we sing a mix up of all the Jungle Book Songs and then Three Little Birds, Hey Jude, and Twinkle Twinkle.
#30 of 33 Old 03-03-2014, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
GISDiva-I just found a Johnny Cash kids album on Amazon the other day. I had no idea he ever made a kids album. But since I am more familiar with his regular songs, I would probably sing those to my baby.

Married to a wonderful woman
since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page