Introducing yogurt? What age? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-20-2014, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Dd has been eating solids since 4 months (now 7 1/2 months). We also allow sensibly soft table foods such as sweet potato and avocado and simple white fish. 
I can't recall if there is a specific recommended age for yogurt. I would add it into her breakfast routine. 

She LOVES food, and self feeds whenever reasonable. Still bfing 3-4 times a day. 

#2 of 12 Old 02-20-2014, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
From what I have heard it would be fine to start anytime. Our ped said all foods are ok except for honey and cow's milk. I think we are going to add yogurt for breakfast soon too because DS seems to be getting hungrier and hungrier for solid food. He is the same age as your DD.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 12 Old 02-23-2014, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
My ds loves it and has been eTing it since6 months!
#4 of 12 Old 02-24-2014, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

we've been feeding DS Stonyfield's organic full fat "Yo Baby" since he was 6 months. That's what the container recommends, since it is made from cow's milk. He loves it and has gone from eating a third of a container to a half and now a full container at a sitting. He eats about one 4oz container as a morning snack every day, and also loves sharing mom and dad's Chobani on the weekends :)

K and B, happily married partners.gif since 2005 and proud parents of one rambunctious C-monster babyf.gif
#5 of 12 Old 02-24-2014, 06:23 PM

I don't think there's a recommended age for that,if the little one loves it,allow him to eat it.its a healthier snack option.
Mine doesn't like yoghurt,I think it's because he doesn't want dairy products,except for the breastmilk.
#6 of 12 Old 02-25-2014, 09:04 AM

At 7.5 months a baby's nutrition should be coming from breastmilk even if the baby loves food. Babies need human milk for brain growth and development - that can't be made up later. Nursing 3-4 times a day probably isn't enough to get the amount of milk a baby needs. It is common for breastfed babies this age to still nurse 8 or more times/24 hours. Yogurt, of course, is made from cow's milk, the perfect food for baby cows. It isn't a healthy replacement for breastmilk. 

sageowl likes this.

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

#7 of 12 Old 02-26-2014, 03:55 PM

Gotta agree with foreverinbluejeans, but maybe 3-4 times a day excludes what's happening at night.
#8 of 12 Old 02-27-2014, 07:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Although yogurt is cultured, it is still cow's milk.  I held off until 12 months because my brother and grandfather had dairy allergies that were likely triggered by early exposure, so I figured it might run in the family.  There are plenty of other things to eat.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#9 of 12 Old 03-04-2014, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverinbluejeans View Post

At 7.5 months a baby's nutrition should be coming from breastmilk even if the baby loves food. Babies need human milk for brain growth and development - that can't be made up later. Nursing 3-4 times a day probably isn't enough to get the amount of milk a baby needs. It is common for breastfed babies this age to still nurse 8 or more times/24 hours. Yogurt, of course, is made from cow's milk, the perfect food for baby cows. It isn't a healthy replacement for breastmilk. 

Thanks, but you can preach it elsewhere. I have 22 years of experience wrt appropriate food for my children. Not one of them would nurse that often by 4-6 months of age. Even the ones who ate far less table food. They simply aren't interested in nursing that frequently and it is utterly assinine to try to force the issue with an otherwise happy and occupied baby. 
My question was regarding yogurt. Yogurt that is full of protein and helpful gut flora. 
I am not interested in a condescending mini lecture about cow vs. breastmilk. Thank you.

#10 of 12 Old 03-04-2014, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
@StartingAllOver mama, how are things going. Looks like you got lots of advice and we are wondering if our comments were helpful and things are going good. smile.gif
ian'smommaya likes this.
#11 of 12 Old 03-04-2014, 09:55 AM

It sounds like StartingAllOver has her mind made up that it is "assinine" to try and breastfeed a 7.5 month old baby more than 3-4 times a day because that is how frequently all her babies breastfed. One can easily find out when to start yogurt by going to google. StartingAllOver came to Mothering. Traditionally Mothering has been an advocate for babies and evidence based practice. I believe that if someone comes to Mothering for advice they should be open to well-meaning, baby-friendly posts. Facts (evidence based practice) can be hard to present without upsetting someone's beliefs ('22 years experience and my kids turned out fine', 'it is assine to try and breastfeed more than 3-4 times a day'). When you upset someone, they are no longer interested in anything you have to say ('I only want info on when to start yogurt').

We know for sure (evidence based practice) that a 7 month old baby needs around 30 oz of human milk at 7 months and needs to breastfeed at least every 3-4 hours (maybe one longer stretch every 24 hours, typically at night). 

Is it assinine to breastfeed more if a baby is fine with 3-4 times a day? Isn't it the mother's responsibility to make sure her baby get's enough human milk? If she isn't unwilling to change her breastfeeding behaviors, she can express and feed her milk by bottle or cup. She can seek out human milk from a milk bank or other sources.

StartingAllOver made her information a public discussion. What if someone read her question and thought it was okay to breastfeed a 7 month old 3 times a day because they read it on Mothering and no one commented on it? I probably couldn't have said anything that would have made any difference to the OP because of her beliefs. 

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

#12 of 12 Old 03-04-2014, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyamber View Post

@StartingAllOver mama, how are things going. Looks like you got lots of advice and we are wondering if our comments were helpful and things are going good. smile.gif

The answers that responded directly to my question were very helpful, thank you. 
I should have said so before. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page