Getting an older infant to accept bottle when breast unavailable - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-23-2014, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anybody done this successfully? 

D is 9 mon and had never had a bottle. He's been EBF but eats a wide variety of solids in good amounts. So far he will only drink water from a straw that I'm holding a finger on the end of. I've tried a straw sippy. 

I'm going back to work very part time when he's 12 mon (one 8hr and one 4hr shift a week). He'll be with DH. I'm hoping he can get to the point where he'll accept a bottle of cows milk from DH for comfort when I'm not there to nurse. Can this be done at this age? I've never been able to pump more than an oz or two, though I've only tried a hand pump. My older son was in the same situation when I went returned the work, same hours and he screamed for hours for months while I was gone greensad.gif The thought of putting another child through it breaks my heart.  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 02-23-2014, 03:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
My last was 14 mos when I went back to work (3 4hr shifts). Dh never could get her to take a bottle or even EBM from a cup, but after the first few times she was fine with table food and water to drink. I'll ask him for tips if you want...I do remember that for the first while he tried to be out of the house as much as possible visiting or outside with other kids, anything that would keep her engaged and too busy to fuss for Mama milk.
I'm sorry your first little one had such a hard time, I know how hard it is. The first day back when I came home to a baby who had obviously been crying awhile I cried too..if our health ins hadn't been riding on my job I would have quit right there. greensad.gif
#3 of 9 Old 02-23-2014, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Yes I wish I didn't have to work, but we're dependant on the income to pay the bills. My DH prefers to be at home and has always been reluctant to go anywhere with babies and young toddlers without me. But I'm hoping he'll make an exception this time.
#4 of 9 Old 02-23-2014, 01:33 PM

I think it could be anything interesting that he doesn't associate with Mom....the back yard, even. Of course you could get lucky with this child; my older took a bottle/sippy from dh at that age with no problem as long as I was not there.
Yeah, we needed the $ too....I probably should have gone back to work sooner than I did.
#5 of 9 Old 02-23-2014, 03:26 PM

I was in a similar situation with my younger son.  He would never take a bottle, pacifier, or even a soft-spout sippy.  I had to go to work when he was 8months.  We finally found that he would take a hard-spout sippy.  And he wouldn't drink formula either.  If he wanted more than what I had pumped, (besides food), he drank organic whole cow's milk.  I know they aren't supposed to get cow's milk before 12 months, but that's all he would drink. 

bellyhair.giftreehugger.gif     coolshine.gif      greenthumb.gif     read.gif
#6 of 9 Old 02-24-2014, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you both for sharing your thoughts and experiences redface.gif
#7 of 9 Old 02-24-2014, 01:57 PM

If he's eating a good amount of solids can he just wait until you get back for milk? At a year mine could go that long on just food (we don't do cow's milk but she is still BF). Also, try a variety of straw sippy's. We like the munchkin ones from Target. By that point he might take one.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#8 of 9 Old 02-24-2014, 02:16 PM

At that age I'd skip a bottle and go straight for a cup or sippy. We started our babe with little shot glass-type cups at 6 months and a straw sippy (like Lollacup) at 10 months. She loves holding her own cups!

Me + DH  partners.gif And E baby.gif makes three! 3.2.13 stillheart.gif

#9 of 9 Old 02-24-2014, 03:10 PM

Just struck me, is it you trying to give him a bottle now, or someone else? We babysit for a little guy who gets formula while mom is at work. So he's used to a bottle but he won't take one from me because he can tell somehow that I have milk (smell, I guess?).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page