Cradle cap on face? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-28-2014, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
My DS, who is now 4 months old, has a large, red, rashy and now scaly patch on his forehead and on the back of his head. A doctor diagnosed it as cradle cap. It started out as a red, pimplely rash and seemed to spread as he itched. It now has a dry, scaly crust on it. It doesn't look like typical cradle cap to me, but then again I don't have a lot of baby experience.

I tried the usual treatment (soaking with oil, gently brushing scales off with a toothbrush) yesterday. After removing the scales, the rash was weeping clear fluid, and it's crusted over again today.

I've been putting a plaintain/wild chamomile poultice on it to soothe the itch, and I've also been putting a bit of tea tree oil diluted in grapeseed on it. In the past I've also used shea butter and Earth Mama Angle Baby's Bottom Balm, to relieve the dryness.

Does this sound like cradle cap to you? Has your baby ever had something similar on their face? What worked for you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 02-28-2014, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Hmm... I've seen it around the eyebrows  and behind the ears, but not all over the forehead. I don't remember ever having a baby whose skin weeped from it but maybe ours was mild.

I would be inclined to consider an allergy of some sort? Soap or laundry detergent possibly? Is he having any digestive issues that would indicate a problem?

#3 of 5 Old 02-28-2014, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I don't think it's an allergy to soap. I wash him only with water, and he doesn't have any kind of rash on his trunk/arms/legs.

I don't think there are any digestive issues...however, DS1 (who is 2 and a half and still nursing) has had a persistent yeast diaper rash for months. Nothing will kill it. I wonder if it's something in my diet?
#4 of 5 Old 03-03-2014, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That doesn't sound like cradle cap at all to me. greensad.gif
#5 of 5 Old 03-05-2014, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
my baby recently got cradle cap and i did a search on it. here is the site i found most useful. it says that yes, babies can get it on their skin, and yes, it can ooze if you pick at it too aggressively. i had only been washing my baby with water, but after reading this i am using a gentle baby shampoo (burt's bees) and the cradle cap has gone from looking like nutritional yeast flakes on her head to a mild case of dandruff.

here's the article i used:
http://health.howstuffworks.com/skin-care/problems/baby/5-ways-to-prevent-cradle-cap.htm

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page