How do you keep baby asleep? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-28-2014, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 10 week old will only sleep for 20 minutes at a time during the day, and that's usually only if I'm holding her. If I try to put her down (in the bassinet, swing, bouncy seat...I've tried every safe place to lay her down) she either instantly wakes up or does so within 5 minutes. Even in a sling or wrap she only sleeps for about 20 minutes. In between her catnaps she's just crying unless she's attached to my boob. She's not hungry, doesn't need her diaper changed, she just cries and I'm pretty sure it's just because she's tired. Needless to say it's really stressful being home with a screaming infant all day.

She seems to fight falling asleep too. She'll start to drift off and close her eyes then they just pop back open and she's awake but cranky again. Everyone keeps saying she'll grow out of it and it''ll get better as she gets older, but honestly it's getting worse. She would sleep in the car seat for 2-3 hours but now she fusses every 10 minutes or so that she's in it. I want to help her sleep better, and I'd also like to get to shower and eat at some point during the day. Is there anything I can do to help her sleep longer than just 20 minutes?

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#2 of 12 Old 02-28-2014, 08:18 PM

Have you tried eliminating dairy and gluten from your diet? Sounds like my daughter at that age. We didn't figure out her allergies until she was on solids and about 11 months old. It sounds like something is upsetting her system. Those are two likely culprits. You could try an elimination diet if that doesn't work. With my son it was his alignment. Took him to a chiro and after 3 visits he was sleeping. 

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#3 of 12 Old 02-28-2014, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

She's been to the chiro a few times. She needs another adjustment but our chirp has been out of town. I've been wondering if I should do an elimination diet. I'm mostly dairy free (just cheese and butter on occasion) so that will be easy but I eat a pretty gluten-full these days since those foods seem to be the quickest to grab. Right now I'll try just about anything to help her sleep.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#4 of 12 Old 02-28-2014, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I would try an elimination diet too. If dairy isn't the culprit gluten is the next best one to try. There are great gf subs these days. If you have a trader joes nearby they carry Udi's gf bread (for less than anywhere else) which IMHO is the best commercially made gf bread. TJ's also has good gf pasta, pizza, oats, etc feel free to pick my brain about making the gf switch. I was religiously gf for 6 yrs!

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#5 of 12 Old 03-01-2014, 10:19 AM

I've had good luck with a swaddle, white noise (fairly loud, I use an open FM station), a really dark room, and one of those reclining swings.  A lot of things I learned from Happiest Baby on the Block!

#6 of 12 Old 03-04-2014, 12:12 PM

My DD is 7.5 weeks old (though born 10 days early, so maybe more like 6 weeks adjusted?) and pretty similar, though she WILL nap in the carrier for 1-2 hours. Up until a week or two ago she would stay asleep for 45 minutes in the bassinet occasionally, but now it's up and crying within 5-15 minutes, 25 if we're REALLY lucky. One thing I've realized is her awake time is less than I would have thought--she starts acting tired within 45 minutes of being up. That has helped with getting her to sleep, but not getting her to stay asleep. Swaddling and white noise don't seem to make much difference for us.

Mine is a big spitter and I am also wondering about dairy sensitivity, though I read that's only an issue in 2-3 percent of babies, so I guess I'm a little skeptical of it as a go-to diagnosis (or maybe I just don't want to have to cut out dairy!). But if you're already almost there with eliminating potential culprits, it sounds like a good thing to try. My take on it is her sleep cycles just haven't matured. My older DD drove me mad with short naps, at least through 4-5 months (though she would throw in 2-hour ones now and then, so not as bad), but they DO grow out of it--by 7 or 8 months short naps were a thing of the past.

So at least in our case, my gut says it's something we'll just have to wait out--in the meantime we keep "practicing" with the bassinet naps. I know that doesn't help much, though--I remember how intensely frustrating it was with DD #1. This time I'm giving into the carrier nap, though it sounds like that isn't very useful for you. Hang in there--I hope you get some respite soon! Will she sleep longer if you lie down with her and nurse? Somewhere I saw someone refer to that as a "suck n' snooze," and it's at least one good way to get some rest yourself if you can get the hang of nursing lying down.

I also recall that DD #1 was pretty fussy through 9-10 weeks, so maybe the poor sleep is corresponding with a natural fussy period, and will even out as she matures out of the newborn phase? I hope so!

p.s. Mine is also constantly attached to my boob--I don't remember my first wanting to nurse so constantly.

p.p.s. ETA I just reread your post and saw you've already gotten the "they'll grow out of it," so sorry to add to that chorus! I do also think babies cycle in and out of good/bad night/nap sleep cycles, so hopefully it is a phase. How does she do with night sleep?

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#7 of 12 Old 03-04-2014, 01:01 PM

Have any of you tried the Montessori baby nap mat called a topponcino? There are several different blog posts and etsy sites about them. I just grabbed this one...  http://montessoribeginnings.blogspot.com/2012/07/topponcinolife-saver.html

Seems like a pretty brilliant, why didn't I think of that sort of thing.  Basically it's a thin foam or cotton batting oval mat just a smidge bigger than a newborn and you hold baby on it so that when she falls asleep you just put baby down where ever and she stays asleep better cuz her surface temp, texture, smell never changed. 

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#8 of 12 Old 03-04-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prescottchels View Post

Have any of you tried the Montessori baby nap mat called a topponcino? There are several different blog posts and etsy sites about them. I just grabbed this one...  http://montessoribeginnings.blogspot.com/2012/07/topponcinolife-saver.html

Seems like a pretty brilliant, why didn't I think of that sort of thing.  Basically it's a thin foam or cotton batting oval mat just a smidge bigger than a newborn and you hold baby on it so that when she falls asleep you just put baby down where ever and she stays asleep better cuz her surface temp, texture, smell never changed. 

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that we have been using one, though not super consistently. I actually have another thread in this forum that I started about it. I haven't noticed that it makes a huge difference in our case, but other people swear by them...it does indeed seem brilliant!

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#9 of 12 Old 03-04-2014, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

That's pretty cool. I think I have everything you need to make one too. I'll give it a try. I've been trying the swaddling, white noise , and dark room combination with some success. I can usually at least get her down but she still only sleeps 20 minutes. She does so well at night but just refuses to nap. I'm trying to really pay attention to her awake time and start trying to get her to sleep by 45-60 minutes of being awake. It's bot really helping yet, but it's only been like three days.

We saw the doctor today and she agreed that baby girl has reflux and possibly some allergies. She gave me a bunch of stuff for the reflux (probiotics, and a couple of different homeopathic remedies) to try for the next two weeks. Also I'm supposed to cut out dairy, citrus, tomatoes, caffeine, and spicy foods. She did say wheat may have to go but for now try those. I'm really hoping that if we can get the reflux taken care of she'll get the sleep she needs.

#10 of 12 Old 03-04-2014, 09:18 PM

Sounds like you have a great doc!! Have you tried inclining her mattress at all? If she has reflux laying flat may be too uncomfortable.

#11 of 12 Old 03-07-2014, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

We see a naturopathic doc. She said she can prescribe medication for the reflux but we'll try the homeopathic remedies first, which is what I prefer. From some reading I've been doing it seems like the medications they give for reflux either don't make a difference or they may help the reflux but then cause constipation. That probably doesn't make for a happy baby either.

She sleeps really well at night when she's in bed next to me, it's just during the day that she doesn't want to sleep anywhere. We have an angled sleeper (like the Fisher price rock n play) that I've been trying to put her in, but so far that still only yields 20-30 minute naps.

#12 of 12 Old 03-07-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishWSU View Post

We see a naturopathic doc. She said she can prescribe medication for the reflux but we'll try the homeopathic remedies first, which is what I prefer. From some reading I've been doing it seems like the medications they give for reflux either don't make a difference or they may help the reflux but then cause constipation. That probably doesn't make for a happy baby either.

She sleeps really well at night when she's in bed next to me, it's just during the day that she doesn't want to sleep anywhere. We have an angled sleeper (like the Fisher price rock n play) that I've been trying to put her in, but so far that still only yields 20-30 minute naps.

Sounds familiar! (angled sleeper, etc.) Have you heard about the recent study on l.reuteri probiotic reducing colic and spitting up? I'm going to try it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page