When and how were you able to transition baby from napping only in carrier to napping on own? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-07-2014, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD is 8 weeks. Still way too early to be worrying about this, I know, and for now the fact that she will solidly sleep in the Moby or mei tai has been a godsend. But, I can see a point in the future where my back will prefer that she be able to nap in her crib or pack n' play for more than 20 minutes at a time--right now she soothes to sleep easily, but will not *stay* asleep for more than 5-10 minutes--occasionally we get 30-45 minutes.

Parents of older babies who slept only in the carrier or in arms as a newborn--when was your baby able to stay asleep in his/her own bed? How did you encourage this transition?

FWIW, we do not really co-sleep (though she comes into bed after her 2nd wakeup, usually between 5 and 6 a.m.) She is a crazy spitter/refluxer (not sure it causes her pain, but the spitting up does wake her up sometimes) but after several false starts at getting her down, she generally sleeps well in her inclined bassinet at night--she'll do 3-4 hours the first stretch, then 2-3, then into bed with us.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#2 of 5 Old 03-07-2014, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I can't help, but I'm curious about this too. DS is 6 months and take nearly all his naps in the Ergo.

#3 of 5 Old 03-07-2014, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Will she transfer out of the carrier to her bed? I used to put my youngest to sleep on my back in the ergo (from probably 3-8 months or so, it was the only way I could get him to fall asleep!) but then i would have a trick where i'd first unbuckle the chest clip, then lay on my tummy, then sorta slither out from under him and he'd usually manage to stay asleep during the transfer. I let him sleep on his tummy. I think it'd be hard to transfer to a crib/bassinet with that method, but that method is only for back carries. I think a transfer would be pretty difficult with a moby. Its pretty easy to transfer to a crib with a ring sling or pouch sling. Lean over the sleeping surface until baby's body touches it, then duck your head out of the carrier! some babies might wake up with any transferring tricks, so it might not work. And if that's the case.. all I can suggest is, babies like to form habits and "train us" that a certain way is the only way that works, then we get comfortable with it, and they switch up the rules. Those changes could happen overnight. So right now napping in a carrier might be the only thing that works, but then tomorrow, or next week, or next month, it could be totally different! And you won't have to "do anything"
except figure out what the "new rules" are;) It can help to once in a while, at nap times, just try another method first to see if it works, then switch to the carrier if it doesn't.. no harm in trying. 

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#4 of 5 Old 03-07-2014, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks, L'il Star--I don't think I could transfer her--maybe down the road I could from the mei tai but so far she wakes up any time her sleep environment changes, no matter how deeply I think she's asleep! The weird thing is, I do have one of those mythical infants who has gone to sleep when put down awake--she's done it a few times for naps and night--but she just doesn't stay asleep. This gives me hope that eventually she'll get the napping thing down with practice.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#5 of 5 Old 03-07-2014, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

My middle kid was probably my weirdest to get to sleep as a tiny baby. It had to be snuggled in my arms, nursing at first but my let down was too fast and he filled his tummy before he filled his suck needs, so I would switch to a finger that I rested against my breast so it still felt as close as possible to nursing, then I had to transfer him very quickly after he was asleep, and still in "falling asleep" mode. He could not be in a deep sleep. Its like setting him in bed made him stir a little, and if he was still in the middle of falling asleep, then he'd continue falling asleep, but if he was done "falling asleep" and already solidly asleep, then that slight disruption in sleep would just trigger wake up time. And thats what I mean by these darn babies switching up these crazy rules for us to figure out! lol

Blanca78 likes this.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page