SLEEP ISSUES? You might want to read this! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-08-2014, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

In all honesty, I should probably submit this to Mothering as an article because it will be long. So here goes...My baby's birth was chaotic, nothing went according to plan but everything was more or less average for a birth experience. I first noticed a problem with my baby when it came to feeding. I had a cesarean and my birth plan was constantly being violated by the nurses especially when it came to feeding. That was an issue but the major issue was how he'd handle the formula. It seemed like every time he ate he was in distress- not just gas but screaming bloody murder it would take hours for us to help him relax. I thought it was how the formula interacted with his tummy because by then we had already had so many antibiotics in our system his system couldn't possibly handle the introduction of foreign biota and complex macro molecules - and it was. I thought if we worked extra hard to breast feed this problem would take care of itself so we worked hard on our latch and I pumped like the dickens. I think the hustle and bustle of the hospital [plus non stop screaming]exhausted him so when we got home  he slept like a rock the first few days, breastmilk did seem to help his symptoms but something wasn't quite right. His feedings were filled with anxiety and tension, it was always a struggle. He would nurse for hours but always seem hungry. He was irritable! He also spit up quite a bit. When we took him to the doctors they said it was colic so we assumed that it would pass by three months time. In three months time, the situation went from bad to worse. He'd only nap in the carrier then my child started skipping naps entirely. I started to panic because it was just me and I was already so exhausted.  I tried everything I could to get my baby to sleep but I couldn't. Per my doc's advice, I gave him Benedryl (which helped his eczema)  and he'd be up after a 20 minute catnap. I read many sleep books, the most successful was The 90 Minute Baby Sleep Program by Dr. Polly Moore but even that wouldn't stick. I felt super frustrated I even let him cry it out(CIO). I went back to the hospital many times trying to figure out why he couldn't sleep. One ER doctor diagnosed him with GERD. Since she didn't recommend medication for him I didn't think much of it but then his sleep patterns got worse. Not only did he not sleep in the daytime, his night time sleep went from 12hrs to 10hrs to 8hrs to 2hrs in about the timespan of 4 months. He would feed for like 5 minutes then go back to bed, it drove me nuts he couldn't finish a feeding. My milk was practically nonexistent because it was so erratic. He would wake to feed about 5 times a night and I was exhausted! He was getting thinner by the day but every time I pointed this out to someone they would mention his weight is healthy for his age (but I knew it wasn't healthy for his build).  I began to do research on sleep issues and couldn't find anything relevant on infant sleep. He also had a flat spot from us leaving him in his carrier to sleep in earlier months. I was concerned that a flat spot on his head and sleep problems might be related. Most pediatricians recommend CIO because they simply did not know how to address the issue. One pediatrician said point blank that he was spoiled. I saw many pediatricians and finally one started to take my concerns seriously.She referred me to a physical therapist and an  orthodics clinic for the plagiocephaly and a gastroenterologist for the GERD. I'm still in the process of obtaining an appointment but I was able to get Zantac for him. For the first time today he was able to eat to appetite and sleep easily and soundly. Honestly, it has made such a difference in his disposition. I think it was "silent" reflux all along. I feel terrible that it's taken him this long to receive the appropriate medication and I'm disappointed in the doctors for resisting treatment. Thinking about it now it would make sense that all these health problems are related because a GERD infant only sleep best when elevated. If your gut tells you something is wrong, listen to it! If anyone tells you that infant sleep is erratic and not to worry- it is NOT normal and don't believe it! Sleep is a necessity and any healthy person (child or adult) needs it to function. If your infant shows any sign of distress push for help! I wrote this in hope that it will reach a stressed out mom or dad looking for answers and give them the courage to talk to their doctors about their child's behavior.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 03-15-2014, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Thanks

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page