Homemade Baby Food... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 03-14-2014, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey There,

Well im a new Young mother, im 21 my beautiful daughter is 7 months old. 

I have decided to start making her food home made, its cheaper, healthier and to be honest i love that i control what she eats.

So i just started and havent found as much info on the internet as i want, i want opinions, ideas, experiences of how other mothers have done it, basically the does and dont's.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thank You so much in advance...

Armanis Mommy dust.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 03-15-2014, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi!

I also have a 7 month old and we're not buying baby food. Have you heard of baby led weaning (self-feeding)? We are doing a bit of that and some purées. Were you looking for recipes? Or just suggestions on what foods to introduce?

I recently found out I can give DS spices (not like hot spices, but basil, cinnamon, cardamom etc). He really enjoys bananas and cinnamon, much more than plain old banana. It keeps it interesting I guess :)

#3 of 22 Old 03-15-2014, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Baby led weaning? no i have not what is it?

Recipes or suggestions of new foods and what is ok to try, she has had : peas, carrots, squash, bananas with cinnamon, peaches, avocados, blueberries, apples and cinnamon, sweet potatoes. 

ive heard lentils and beans are good but what kind of beans...

and i asked her Dr about meats and she said that was fine but eww lol pureed meat yuck. 

Thnaks for your reply btw.

peace.gif

#4 of 22 Old 03-15-2014, 03:24 PM

Baby led weaning:

http://www.babyledweaning.com/

Basically, you give large pieces of food and the baby self-feeds. We have done avocado, banana, cooked apple, sweet potato and squash like that.

Maybe try red or white kidney beans? They're really soft. I'd add lemon maybe? Garlic? I'm new to this too, so just brainstorming:p

DS likes red lentil mush with mild curry powder.

#5 of 22 Old 03-15-2014, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

i have made baby food for all my kids since they where about 4 to 6 months old i have found out that all my kids have like cherry and bananas puree just throw a few cherry and a banana in the blender with about 1/4 cup of water you can also do mangos too 

happily in love with dh blowkiss.gif and raise my three jelly beansjumpers.gif and missing my  babies in heavenangel3.gifangel3.gifangel2.gifangel1.gifangel1.gifangel1.gif angel.gif we finely got are rainbow and me and her daddy are so glad are rainbow is here  born on 11/07/2013 
#6 of 22 Old 03-17-2014, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Your foods so far sound like really good choices!  My son's favorite beans when he was a baby were black beans mixed about 3:1 with spaghetti sauce.

We usually just turned some of our food into baby food with a hand-powered grinder.  Here's my review:

http://articles.earthlingshandbook.org/2012/07/25/easy-homemade-baby-food/

It's easier than making a whole batch of baby food and having to store it.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#7 of 22 Old 03-17-2014, 01:29 PM

I know some people on here are really into baby-lead weaning, but I've never had kids that would eat chunky foods that early, so I make my own baby food (purees). 

Things my kids have liked during the early stages were sweet potatoes, bananas, applesauce (usually blended with something else like blueberries), pear/apple sauce, pumpkin, butternut squash, etc.  These are all pretty easy to make (I use my blender/food processor), and I live in an area where organic fruit is really easy to come by.  Another easy one is split peas, red lentils, or chickpeas with a little seasoning. 

An easy way to make a big batch of purees is to use icecube trays and put them in a big ziplock bag and just thaw what you need.  For about the same price of one jar of baby food, you can make a whole bunch--anywhere from 6-12 servings for the same price...and lets face it, it tastes waaaay better, so I never have problems getting them to eat it (if they're hungry).

#8 of 22 Old 03-18-2014, 12:54 PM

I purée cooked chicken breast and then mix that into puréed sweet potato with a spoon. You can also make patties out of ground turkey and bake them, then either crumble or purée. The texture of the meats can be chalky, so another purée mixed with, helps.

Red lentils, I soaked for a few hours, then cooked, then had to purée actually. He doesn't do great with veggie skins. We used great northern beans....but so far he likes lentils more. The beans you soak overnight before cooking and pureeing. Canned is okay but has bpa in the can, except Eden brand. Canned is much more gassy though. You can stir in 1/4 tsp extra virgin olive oil to add some good fats, good for the growing brain.

He can handle the floret part of broccoli at 9 months but still doesn't do really fiber-y veggies without being puréed. He does plain organic Cheerios as finger food. He can do banana pieces too.

We use earths best oatmeal for babies. I personally think it's crucial to do a cereal for the added iron. After 6 months they need some iron. Everyhing else he eats is made by me, excluding Cheerios.

It's a lot of work, but I feel it's important to get in the habit of cooking for your children, not opening a package. Avocado fills him up at night before bed and he loves it. Good luck!!
#9 of 22 Old 03-18-2014, 12:55 PM

Oh, cooked egg yolk is excellent for babies, but my son must have an allergy because he throws up all day when he eats it greensad.gif I was so bummed!!!
#10 of 22 Old 03-18-2014, 01:00 PM

We do tons of veggies, but those are more self explanatory. The best website I have found, hands down, is wholesomebabyfood dot com. It has answered all my questions about when to introduce.

Baby led weaning was not my cup of tea. Too much effort for things he is just gonna knaw on? I needed to get the food into him!!!! My kid was really hungry and wanting more than just breastmilk. He would beg for our food but was too going to eat like an adult!!!
#11 of 22 Old 03-18-2014, 01:02 PM

Remember that grapes are a choking hazard. For that reason, blueberries scare me too!!
#12 of 22 Old 03-18-2014, 09:42 PM

Yeah other than wild blueberries, which are much smaller, I don't offer whole blueberries until around 2 or so. Same reason.
#13 of 22 Old 03-19-2014, 09:38 AM

Canned beans are MUCH less gassy if you rinse off the liquid in which they're canned.  Adding olive oil is a good tip.  My homemade spaghetti sauce always has olive oil (first step in making it is cooking the onions and other veggies in oil) but store-bought sauce is sometimes fat-free or can have bad oils like soybean.  I don't buy the brands with bad oils, but I don't think it ever occurred to me to add olive oil to baby's beans+sauce if using a jarred sauce with no oil in it.

Quote:
 We use earths best oatmeal for babies. I personally think it's crucial to do a cereal for the added iron.

headscratch.gif Beans have iron.  Many dark green vegetables have iron.  If you feed baby meats, those have iron.  I don't see cereal as crucial for that reason.  My son never got any baby cereals, but we did give him some cold cereals like oaty O's for self-feeding, and when I was eating oatmeal (with almond butter and flax oil and all kinds of good stuff) I would give him bites with no raisins, until he could chew the raisins.

In addition to the choking hazard, another reason not to give toothless babies blueberries is that they'll likely swallow them whole, so the nutritional value is questionable, and then they're alarming to find in the diaper--"What are these black globs?? Blood clots?! bigeyes.gif"

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

#14 of 22 Old 03-20-2014, 12:38 PM

Thanks for the tips! Yeah, I do realize some of those foods have iron...but wasn't sure how much he's getting...I guess I need to add it up. He actually prefers green veggies to cereal. I was using the cereal with the understanding that he isn't ingesting very large quantities of the veggies or beans yet. I probably could do without it, though. The idea of needing supplements with such a good diet is counterintuitive. I think a lot if babies probably do need it though, in a typical household in the u.s.
#15 of 22 Old 03-20-2014, 01:15 PM

Sage owl, when did you introduce pasta? Do u use wheat noodles? I know pasta sauce can go on other things though!
#16 of 22 Old 03-22-2014, 07:55 PM

I don't give wheat until much later-- DS1 was allergic to it when I introduced it at 9 mos! I'm not giving it to DS2 until at least 12 mos this time... Or whenever he gets more teeth. Probably doing gluten free first too--so paranoid after last time.
#17 of 22 Old 03-29-2014, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

ohhh i never thought of cherries, ill try that next  thanks :)

#18 of 22 Old 03-29-2014, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnviroBecca View Post

Canned beans are MUCH less gassy if you rinse off the liquid in which they're canned.  Adding olive oil is a good tip.  My homemade spaghetti sauce always has olive oil (first step in making it is cooking the onions and other veggies in oil) but store-bought sauce is sometimes fat-free or can have bad oils like soybean.  I don't buy the brands with bad oils, but I don't think it ever occurred to me to add olive oil to baby's beans+sauce if using a jarred sauce with no oil in it.

headscratch.gif Beans have iron.  Many dark green vegetables have iron.  If you feed baby meats, those have iron.  I don't see cereal as crucial for that reason.  My son never got any baby cereals, but we did give him some cold cereals like oaty O's for self-feeding, and when I was eating oatmeal (with almond butter and flax oil and all kinds of good stuff) I would give him bites with no raisins, until he could chew the raisins.

In addition to the choking hazard, another reason not to give toothless babies blueberries is that they'll likely swallow them whole, so the nutritional value is questionable, and then they're alarming to find in the diaper--"What are these black globs?? Blood clots?! bigeyes.gif"

why didnt you give cereal?

#19 of 22 Old 03-29-2014, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Our family doesn't eat grains at all when we can avoid it, especially for babies. It's very inflammatory and hard to digest, has many anti-nutrients, and veggies are way better sources of the good things grains have (like fiber and good carbs and vitamins and minerals). When we "cheat" and have rice, we do share a bite with the baby after 10 months, maybe wheat after a year but gluten is very inflammatory.

#20 of 22 Old 03-29-2014, 01:21 PM

We just give our nearly 7 monther food. Nothing he can choke on, and try to go for veg over fruit. Organic when possible. We don't have a family history of allergies, so I'm not walking on eggshells.
#21 of 22 Old 03-29-2014, 03:37 PM

My friend whose son is 10 weeks older had started him on rice cereal. He immediately became constipated and was miserable. I remembered another friend's baby had this experience a couple years earlier. I mentioned it to my mom, and she said, "Well, imagine how your digestion would be if your only food was rice!" And told me she started me and my brother on fruits and vegs and thought it worked much better. So that's what I did.

We did feed him grains later--but we never bought special baby versions.

#22 of 22 Old 04-24-2014, 03:10 PM

My son didn't seem to get constipated from rice cereal, but he also ate homemade green bean purree, pea puree, sweet potato puree, etc etc, daily. Sometimes I'd add about 1/4 tsp extra virgin olive oil. He would also get 1/4 to 1/2 of an avocado nightly. Usually I'd give him one orange and one green veggie a day, and one serving of cereal.....maybe two tablespoons. So maybe all the other good stuff prevented the constipation. However, I keep hearing parents saying it makes their baby constipated. Who knows! Maybe it's different for different babies. Another thing we did, was water in a sippy cup, and he would take a few sips, until he felt satisfied. We did this because he was always grabbing my water glass and trying to gulp some down. The brand of rice cereal we normally use is Earth's Best, which is whole grain. But, we started with the Beechnut, at first. 

I'm only sharing this because I think cereal has been a good thing for him. He has never had any of those baby food jars or pouches. Who wants prepackaged vegetables? Ew. As an adult, I feel like my body is lacking something if I don't have some grains to balance out my diet.....even if I were to substitute sweet potato. I feel hungry without them and like I can't function. :) So I think you just gotta make the best decision, based on your intuition on what your baby needs. Until he was a really good eater, I also worried about anemia. Might be an unfounded fear, because I never had him tested, but I liked knowing he was getting at least some iron daily, even if he refused certain foods. 

Baby cereal is something I have a strong opinion about, because I have a lot of mom friends who refuse to give it to their baby, and some of those babies are not good eaters at all, and I feel bad for the baby, because the mom throws all kinds of pouches at them, but maybe the baby wants to practice on something more bland, or something with a different texture? Or, maybe the baby just wants to wait. So I think it just depends on your baby, what they need, etc, but I don't think you should NOT try it based on something you worry will happen, that might not happen. If they get constipated, even once, just stop using it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page