baby led weaning - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-18-2014, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

DD3 is 7 mos old and started purees about a month ago.  I'm finding I have little patience with purees and spoon-feeding.  But the idea of giving her huge chunks of food is pretty scary too.  I know some people say there's actually LESS chance of choking, but it still makes me nervous.  Has a month's worth of purees ruined the reflex that's supposed to protect her while BLW?  I'm trying to decide which route to go, since it's not long till she will have the pincher grasp for tiny finger foods anyway.  I'd love to hear your experiences.

#2 of 9 Old 03-18-2014, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, I think you're going to need patience either way, but I totally get it. I have done a mix of purses and large finger foods, and personally found that mashes and purees are overall easier once baby gets the hang of it, but it takes a while. Two months from the firsts tastes for my LO until she was eating at a steady pace and for a solid meal. She is almost 8 month sold now and eats 3 meals a day, each taking 15-30 minutes of intermittent feeding while I eat my own food when she is more interested in the napkin.

I found it really helped my patience when I had other things to do, like feed myself. Or carry a conversation. Then, when she takes a break to just babble and watch us eat, I don't feel like I am wasting time just sitting there.

I think you can introduce finger foods now and keep feeding purees, but If we are just talking about convenience, I think purées take the cake. It's neater, my daughter still sets the pace for how much she eats. I find I have the least patience for the baby-led foods where she is feeding herself. It just takes her so much longer to eat that when I spoon feed her. Also, it is dramatically messier. Like, have to clean the table, mop the floor, and sink-bathe the baby messy sometimes.

With big food chunks the texture has to be just right or it's sliding out of her hand too much or not soft enough or too soft and gets smushed. That might be ok if you really don't care that she's not eating much and mostly playing with food, but my daughter quickly preferred eating to nursing, and so she needed to get food actually in her belly.

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#3 of 9 Old 03-18-2014, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I have the opposite perspective to Cynthiamoon. I would have no patience sitting an spoon feeing. With BLW I can eat my own meal or do something in the kitchen while my kids eat. I agree with her about the mess though :-) We live in a hot climate so I usually take off their shirt at least so I can just wipe them over with a flannel. And if cleaning up would be a pain I try to stick to less messy foods.

Both my girls were/are very much "food before one is just for fun" babies though so there was no real issues with getting volume into them. Now, at 16 months, DD2 likes to be spoon fed some things but I have never pureed anything specially for them.

I would suggest giving it a go. It's not set in stone. Just hand her a chunk of something and see what happens. If you both hate it, well you haven't lost anything by trying.
keakiepie likes this.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#4 of 9 Old 03-19-2014, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

On patience -- She's not eating much, so it's not about time.  It just feels really tedious.  And I feel silly to spoon-feed her; like if she was supposed to be eating food she should be able to do it herself.  Now considering I still have to do everything else for her, that argument might be a little silly.  To be honest, I think I'm sad about her being ready for solids.  I really love tiny babies and she's probably our last.

She's only been having solids for breakfast. I like to introduce new foods in the morning in case of a reaction. But morning is our most hectic time, so I'll try lunch instead, and maybe offer her something at other meals if it makes her more content.

I guess another thing I'm hoping is that self-feeding will make her more content during mealtimes.  She doesn't really like watching us from the highchair, and I don't really like struggling to eat my food while she grabs everything within reach from my lap.

I'm not looking forward to the mess either way.... 

Is it a bad idea to give large chunks and purees at the same time?   I thought not having puree experience helped prevent choking. 

#5 of 9 Old 03-19-2014, 06:11 PM

We have done both from the get go. She's had everything from steak strips and broccoli florets to glass-jar stuff and most recently little blobby things like mushed peas she picks up herself. I think she still has a really good grip on how to move food around her mouth. Sometimes a big chunk of a finger food will catch her off guard, but I've only had to interfere once, very early on.

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#6 of 9 Old 03-20-2014, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We do both smoother foods and chunkier finger foods as well and she goes back and forth just fine.  :)

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

#7 of 9 Old 03-24-2014, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

@mrsandmrs, I know you have lots of experience with this, maybe you can share some of your knowledge with this mama?

Now that I am a mom I no longer have time for knit.gif,teapot2.GIF,read.gif
#8 of 9 Old 03-24-2014, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by llwr View Post

I guess another thing I'm hoping is that self-feeding will make her more content during mealtimes.  She doesn't really like watching us from the highchair, and I don't really like struggling to eat my food while she grabs everything within reach from my lap.

this is exactly why we made the move from purees to chunks with DS when he was about 7-8 months old. He was so frustrated to not be included in meal times. I think he could tell from smells and colors that mom and dad don't eat mushy banana puree for dinner.

He is so much happier now that he can feed himself some. He still doesn't eat much but gets a lot of practice! Some of his favorite foods are freeze dried yogurt dots and stewed meat. At first I was much more conservative about chunk size, but DH (who is at home 2 days a week and therefore drives solid practices) will just give him a chunk of chicken or whole "tree" of broccoli to chew. He eats strawberries like apples. DS has a harder time with swallowing than biting, so accumulates chunks in his mouth but does the same with smaller pieces, so in the end I don't see a difference in choking risk.

K and B, happily married partners.gif since 2005 and proud parents of one rambunctious C-monster babyf.gif
#9 of 9 Old 03-24-2014, 12:57 PM

Have any of you with babies who don't like tw high chair tried those hook-onto-the-table types? We love ours because it puts DD right at our level for meals. When it's in the wash, she isn't nearly as happy in the other type.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page