5mo barely sleeps during the day - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-25-2014, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hey there! I have a 5mo DS who is such a lousy napper! Unless I lie with him and sometimes even that doesn't work. He honestly takes about three or four 15 to 20 minute naps a day. It drives me nuts because I know he is tired! He sleeps well at night for the most part but he's still not getting enough sleep. He's super happy and smiley and seems healthy in every other way. He honestly barely nurses during the day either but does a lot at night. He's just so curious about the world it's like he can't stop looking at it. Thoughts? This began at about 4 months.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#2 of 9 Old 03-25-2014, 11:57 PM

My baby started doing this around 4 months too- 15-20 minute naps 3-4 times a day- exhausting!! and not eating a lot during the day but nursing constantly all night. Here's what I did to change it:

During feedings during the day I would always be in a boring, calm environment. If I was out in public somewhere I'd block her vision with a blanket or put the hood of the carrier up. I wouldn't let her sleep during feedings during the day and would keep her up by stimulating her and not wrapping her in a blanket to get too cozy. I followed the play, sleep, eat pattern (I got lazy with this and I think that's why her rhythm got all messed up). 

I also started timing her awake time, a baby that is 4-6 months old can be awake for about 2 hours before it's time for a nap. I would catch this window in time to get her soothed before she got fussy and it helped extend her naps because she wouldn't be overtired when going down. I also started letting her sleep in the swing which makes for a pretty much guaranteed 45 minute nap. 

As soon as she wakes up from a nap I give her the boob and feed her a full feeding. 

When I did all this stuff consistently during the day, she started nursing less at night. Now at 5 months we finally have a nice routine going again (except now she's teething!)

good luck!

#3 of 9 Old 03-26-2014, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Yogini! Unfortunately, I can't carry him for long because I have back problems. It's even hard for me to pick him up and I'm alone a lot. :-/ If only I could carry him in my Tula he would eventually fall asleep and I could nurse him. I've also got a 4yo who adds a whole nother layer to things.

He WILL NOT let me put anything over his head. He will tear that sh*t down! LOL He hates it. Ugh...

I think what I'm most worried about is whether this will hurt him in the long run. It's that whole thing of "IS HE NORMAL???" 

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#4 of 9 Old 03-26-2014, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I think he's normal, dalia! My 5 mo sleeps a max of 40minutes during the day, unless his 2.5 yo brother is also asleep (and I'm holding him. He won't stay sleeping long if I put him down).

I often wonder if the crazy toddler keeps him awake/distracted in the daytime. I've been pulling the baby around the yard in a sled all bundled up til he falls asleep, then letting him sleep out in the sunshine. He seems to be getting longer naps that way. Maybe something to try? With a stroller or whatever you've got.

I think that as soon as you've got a baby figured out, they change again!
#5 of 9 Old 03-28-2014, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son was the same, he is 6 yo now and perfectly happy and healthy. My 4,5 mo daugther sleeps better, but is also quite distracted during the day to fall asleep easily. I got some tips on how to cut back night nursing (which is usually not about hunger with mine) and how to improve sleep routines from the book 'good night sleep tight' by Kim West. It seems consistency is the key.... 

#6 of 9 Old 03-29-2014, 06:31 AM

Dalia, my almost 6 mon old is pretty similar...minus the sleeping well at night part. Unless I lay down with him he rarely sleeps more than 30 minutes for a nap. We have some good nights but for the most part he wakes to eat every 2 hours. I'm pretty sure there might be a tooth involved with the night wakings but he's been this way with naps since the get go. Eh

mama to two little men...3/25/2010 and 10/3/2013
#7 of 9 Old 03-29-2014, 08:47 AM

My DS went through a stage of napping like that when he was around that age. It only lasted a few weeks and then he was back napping 2+ hours.
#8 of 9 Old 04-08-2014, 02:46 AM

update: I went completely crazy trying to get D to nap in her bed during the day. I decided to let go of all advice and just go with the flow. If I try to put her to bed and she clearly does not want it, I take her out, let her play in the living room for a bit and try again in half an hour or so. Also just nurse her to sleep during the day.

To my surprise she started sleeping longer naps, often 2+ hours. But usually only once.

In the evening (around 20.00), I let her cry to sleep (heart breaking but really NOTHING else works) and she wakes for a feeding when we go to bed around 23.00 and wakes for one other feeding, usually around 4.00.

I'm happy the way things work out, and will perhaps try 'sleep training' at a later stage....

#9 of 9 Old 04-08-2014, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Holandesa, have you read a book called The No Cry Sleep Solution? It's sort of like sleep training but not harsh like so many books I have seen. I won't let my DS cry to sleep. I've just read so many studies against it and it just doesn't feel right to me. I'm wondering if the book I mentioned might help you get your little one to sleep without crying?

Thanks for all the kind words, ladies. My DS is actually sleeping better now, but I have to wear him for him naps. It's fine, I'll do it! I just want him to get some good sleep. :-) I did notice that on the days he doesn't want to sleep he is learning something new and he gets obsessed LOL.

Thanks again!

joy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page