Baby Changing Tables - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-02-2014, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a question for everyone out there. I am a frustrated mother who has seen my husband come back out of the restroom numerous times because there is not a changing table located in the restroom. My husband has this idea in the works for this app that would allow parents to open it and manipulate a google map. On the map, you would be able to see thousands of locations across the US that baby changing stations located in the restrooms. Do you think this is worth the effort for him, or is he headed for failure. I believe in him, but he is a little hesitant for fear of flopping and losing money to create it.  Thanks for your feedback.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 04-02-2014, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

I think it is a fine idea for an app, and people might buy it.  (Certainly it's more practical than a lot of apps people pay for!)  Whether it is worth the effort to your husband depends on how skilled he is at building apps and how long it would take him.

Meanwhile, he AND YOU ought to get used to the idea that you will sometimes have to change the baby in a place that does not have a surface specially intended for changing babies.  Many older buildings simply do not have space in the restroom for a changing table, and many men's rooms don't have them even when they could--but that's no excuse for your husband not to change the baby.  Get a waterproof, washable mat to carry in the diaper bag (Happy Tushies makes a nice one) and spread it on the restroom counter or floor.  If every surface in the restroom is truly too disgusting for this, find another place where you can change the baby discreetly.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#3 of 6 Old 04-02-2014, 04:33 PM

I agree with the above comment. It is irritating to change baby on the floor, but I've had to do it many a time. My husband also complains to management when he goes some place and they have a changing table in the women's room but not the men's. In almost all of these instances it is not an issue of insufficient space in the men's room and therefore it's probably due to a perception that men won't use/aren't interested in it--so speaking up might make a difference.

There is a local restaurant we like where there is neither a table nor space for one--but both bathrooms are one-at-a-time, so when we're there I tell him to just go in the women's room and do the change there. 

#4 of 6 Old 05-04-2014, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would love the idea! Maybe offer a simpler version for free as a sample. I'd say, maybe for the free version restrict the results to, say, 5 miles of the users area code.
I for one would buy it - we tend to avoid places that don't have a changing table because place' floors are often so gross
#5 of 6 Old 05-04-2014, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Sounds like a great idea for an app. I think a lot of people would be interested.

I'm a little grossed out by changing babies on the bathroom changing tables and usually just use the car if we're out for a long time. I rarely take the diaper bag in to stores.

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#6 of 6 Old 07-21-2014, 04:08 PM

Lightbulb It's risky..

I think that is a really neat idea for an application. Although I don't know if it something parents would pay for. If an app had that service, and only that service, I think it should be free on the apple store.

That being said, you'd have to rely on advertisements for income and that could be problematic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page