Mothering Forum banner

Breastfed 10 month old son still not eating solids

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  missbrea 
#1 ·
Hi All

My son, who is breastfeeding, still has very little interest in solid food. We started at 5.5 months with standard purees and switched to baby-led weaning at 9 months because he so disliked being fed and really wasn't eating anything. With baby-led weaning he initially started to eat a bit, but the novelty wore off. He plays with food a little but really doesn't get any significant calories from solids. I nurse him on demand and we co-sleep so he nurses at night too.

I don't know anyone else whose 10 month old doesn't eat any solids and I am wondering if anyone else has had this experience? I would love him to learn to eat a bit so that he could have a snack and decrease his dependence on me when I am out for a few hours. He doesn't love the bottle either -- knows how to take it but often holds out for me to return.

If would also help to be able to feed him some solids when we are out together because he will not nurse in public or out of the house…too distracted.

thanks!!

#3 ·
My 11 month old is also not into food. It is very different than my others who were proficient self feeders by 7-8 months. And it's draining on me too.

I discussed it at her last checkup and our pedi said she wouldn't be concerned until 12 months. She also tested her iron because that can cause eating issues but it was fine.

#4 ·
I was so worried too when my DD still wasn't eating much by 12 months. We did baby led weaning and she mostly would taste food and then spit it all back out. Some days she didn't have any interest in tasting. I was told its completely normal for a breastfed baby and that eventually they will take more interest on her own. By 14 months she finally started eating and now all she wants to do is eat all day lol. It's been a relief
smile.gif
sorry I don't have any advice except not to stress too much about it.

#9 ·
we do a mix of BLW and spoon fed, depending on how Bean is feeling.
We've found that if we give him 1-2 items at a time he'll eat that, and then we give him a couple more. If we just put a plate in front of him, he gets excited and just throws food everywhere.
Health Canada recommends finger foods by 10mos, we cut everything up into french fry bites for him, and he loves it.
Hugs!

#12 ·
I wouldn't be concerned about it all, especially since we usually don't start solids until 9 or so months. Your baby is only supposed to be playing with solids right now. One way to keep it fun is reduce the times you offer during the day i.e. just once or twice and make it messy and exploratory. Breastmilk is all your baby needs right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.