Breastfed 10 month old son still not eating solids - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 04-10-2014, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi All

My son, who is breastfeeding, still has very little interest in solid food. We started at 5.5 months with standard purees and switched to baby-led weaning at 9 months because he so disliked being fed and really wasn't eating anything. With baby-led weaning he initially started to eat a bit, but the novelty wore off. He plays with food a little but really doesn't get any significant calories from solids. I nurse him on demand and we co-sleep so he nurses at night too. 

I don't know anyone else whose 10 month old doesn't eat any solids and I am wondering if anyone else has had this experience? I would love him to learn to eat a bit so that he could have a snack and decrease his dependence on me when I am out for a few hours. He doesn't love the bottle either -- knows how to take it but often holds out for me to return. 

If would also help to be able to feed him some solids when we are out together because he will not nurse in public or out of the house…too distracted. 

thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 04-10-2014, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't have any advice, but I'm having the exact same experience with my 9.5 month old. It's so frustrating, she seems to hate food!

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

#3 of 14 Old 04-10-2014, 07:35 AM

My 11 month old is also not into food. It is very different than my others who were proficient self feeders by 7-8 months. And it's draining on me too.

I discussed it at her last checkup and our pedi said she wouldn't be concerned until 12 months. She also tested her iron because that can cause eating issues but it was fine.

#4 of 14 Old 04-10-2014, 07:51 AM

I was so worried too when my DD still wasn't eating much by 12 months. We did baby led weaning and she mostly would taste food and then spit it all back out. Some days she didn't have any interest in tasting. I was told its completely normal for a breastfed baby and that eventually they will take more interest on her own. By 14 months she finally started eating and now all she wants to do is eat all day lol. It's been a relief smile.gif sorry I don't have any advice except not to stress too much about it.
#5 of 14 Old 04-17-2014, 09:50 PM

DS2 was like this until 13 months, then it was like someone flipped a switch. wink1.gif
#6 of 14 Old 04-18-2014, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

oh good to know! thanks for your help
#7 of 14 Old 04-19-2014, 08:59 PM

Good luck, I know it's hard not to worry until it happens...and it will.
#8 of 14 Old 06-03-2014, 10:49 PM

You have nothing to worry about. Keep trying not pressuring and everything will go on its natural way . Maybe this will help you introducing solid foods to your baby.
#9 of 14 Old 06-04-2014, 06:10 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
we do a mix of BLW and spoon fed, depending on how Bean is feeling.
We've found that if we give him 1-2 items at a time he'll eat that, and then we give him a couple more. If we just put a plate in front of him, he gets excited and just throws food everywhere.
Health Canada recommends finger foods by 10mos, we cut everything up into french fry bites for him, and he loves it.
Hugs!
#10 of 14 Old 06-04-2014, 07:18 PM

good luck,If we just put a plate in front of him, he gets excited and just throws food everywhere.thanks

Last edited by phathui5; 06-05-2014 at 12:34 AM. Reason: removed link
#11 of 14 Old 06-04-2014, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinegotitwe View Post
good luck,If we just put a plate in front of him, he gets excited and just throws food everywhere.thanks
are you trying to quote me?
#12 of 14 Old 06-05-2014, 06:01 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smw33 View Post
<p>Hi All</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My son, who is breastfeeding, still has very little interest in solid food. We started at 5.5 months with standard purees and switched to baby-led weaning at 9 months because he so disliked being fed and really wasn't eating anything. With baby-led weaning he initially started to eat a bit, but the novelty wore off. He plays with food a little but really doesn't get any significant calories from solids. I nurse him on demand and we co-sleep so he nurses at night too. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I don't know anyone else whose 10 month old doesn't eat any solids and I am wondering if anyone else has had this experience? I would love him to learn to eat a bit so that he could have a snack and decrease his dependence on me when I am out for a few hours. He doesn't love the bottle either -- knows how to take it but often holds out for me to return. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>If would also help to be able to feed him some solids when we are out together because he will not nurse in public or out of the house…too distracted. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>thanks!!</p>
I wouldn't be concerned about it all, especially since we usually don't start solids until 9 or so months. Your baby is only supposed to be playing with solids right now. One way to keep it fun is reduce the times you offer during the day i.e. just once or twice and make it messy and exploratory. Breastmilk is all your baby needs right now.
#13 of 14 Old 06-19-2014, 09:43 PM

My daughter just started, finally, swallowing food about a week ago. She's 11 months. Now she swallows about a third and spits out the rest. I see it as flavor and texture exposure, not nutrition.
#14 of 14 Old 06-20-2014, 10:29 PM

My son is only 7 months, but I suspect he'll be the same way. I offer him food every couple days and he loves to play with it. But should any get in his mouth he wrinkles his nose and gives me this incredulous look like, "You people actually EAT this stuff?!"

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page