• Maybe later

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 100.0%

Is this Safe?

940 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  pokeyac 
#1 ·
Hi Mother's and more,

I'll be very honest with you, I don't have a child. However, I do have a marketing class which asks that I design a product and then research my target audience. My product: A type of wrist band that both monitor the baby's heart rate as well as his/her temperature. Then it will use blue-tooth technology to wirelessly send this information to the overall baby monitor, thus allowing a mother to keep track of her baby's vital signs.

First and foremost, does it seem like something you might purchase?

Secondly, how would you like to see this attached to the baby? I was thinking something along the lines of an adjustable Velcro type watch (no, it will not show the time).

I know I'm not supposed to advertise, but this is not a real product. It is just something that I think mother's might be interested in. I would greatly appreciate any input. Thank you!

#2 ·
No, I wouldn't buy it. A couple of reasons

1. How would it be powered? I would not have a device with a button battery attached to my unsupervised child

2. It couldn't measure core temperature and I don't need to know the skin temperature of my baby's wrist

3. By what mechanism would it be determining the pulse rate? I can't think of one which would be particularly reliable, especially with a moving baby who was almost certainly going to chew on it at some point.

4. I don't know enough about how Bluetooth works so this may be an unfounded concern but I would be concerned about the transmission aspect.

#3 ·
I agree with everything katelove said. I also wouldn't buy it because I have zero interest in monitoring my baby's temp/pulse rate.
However, I'm pretty sure someone would buy it. You'd likely have more luck on a more mainstream parenting forum.

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTurtle View Post

I agree with everything katelove said. I also wouldn't buy it because I have zero interest in monitoring my baby's temp/pulse rate.
However, I'm pretty sure someone would buy it. You'd likely have more luck on a more mainstream parenting forum.
Yes, that too. I nearly wrote that I keep my babies on me for the first 4-6 months anyway. But I realised that it could be used for older babies as well. If I had a seriously ill child I can possibly see that something like this may be useful or reassuring but my above concerns/doubts would still stand. I guess if I did have a sick child I would be going for a hospital-style monitor that I am familiar with, using technology which has been researched and validated.

Sorry to be so negative. I guess I have quite strong feelings about this sort of thing.

#5 ·
Wrist temperature tells me nothing. I'm not your market, anxious moms whose babies sleep in the nursery or parents of kids with medical conditions are. But look up foot worn infant pulse oximeters. O2 saturation and pulse will tell you more about if your baby is ok than temp and pulse would, bluetooth transmission is a good idea. Wrist site may work too, do some testing to see which a baby pulls at less and fusses about less.

#6 ·
I had a sick baby - one who needed open heart surgery. But I would never just monitor her for kicks, and if it were medically necessary, then I would just use what her doctor recommended. I guess I am curious why you think a device like this is necessary. Or, rather, how would you convince parents this device is necessary?

#7 ·
There are parents who buy AngelCare monitors that have a pad you put on the mattress to measure movement, and there are moms who buy dopplers so they can check their baby's heartrate at home, so I'm sure there is a market for something like this. Plus if you add an app to it, that would be an even bigger selling point. All that being said, it's not something I would buy. I'm not that paranoid, but some people are. My baby also slept next to me for the first 4 months so I could just touch him to check his breathing and temperature. I suppose a velcro type wristband would work. Something on the foot might be better. It could be a sock that slips on? Newborns tend to hold their hands very close to their faces. And if they were swaddled, having their arms tightly wrapped would affect the accuracy of the monitoring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.