baby led weaning - baby cries from frustration! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-22-2014, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

hi there - i am starting my 6 month old on solids - he has been ready for a while, grabbing food from our hands, plates, mimicking chewing etc - we are using BLW, and so far have had banana, avacado, mango with a new one every 3 days or so. The thing is it always ends up in tears with him quite frustrated. Its definitely in part due to the slippery nature of the fruits, he can't seem to grasp it well enough for a good long chew/suck. The mango works a little better as we leave the leathery skin on to help him hold it.

I finally took a wooden spoon (made for eating not cooking) and slightly mashed the avocado onto the spoon and handed that to him. He was content. My question is that I seem to be ending somewhere in between with this method - giving him slightly mashed stuff (some lumps) on a spoon that he feeds himself, and larger chunks other times. It doesn't seem worth it to 'torture' him with these things he is not having fun experimenting with. He wants it in his mouth, period. I always feed him after we have nursed, so he's definitely not too hungry. 

advice? I haven't read any books on this, have just been researching online.

thanks!

pokeyac likes this.
#2 of 10 Old 04-22-2014, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Hi mleob! Welcome to Mothering! I moved your thread to Life with a Baby because I think you will get better responses here. There are other threads in this forum about baby led weaning also. Do you have one of those mesh feeders? That may work as a transition to help baby eat slippery foods on his own. I haven't worried too much about following a strict plan. Sometimes I feed my baby and sometimes he feeds himself. We do a combination at each meal. I feed him messy things he couldn't handle and he feeds himself other foods. With avocado, you can cut it into wedges with the skin on and that may make it easier to hold. I have a friend who is a nanny and she showed me that you can put some foods like melon or banana on a fork and then hold the fork so baby can suck on it and take bites. It works pretty well.
ruheling, Kerry Harley and mleob like this.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 10 Old 04-22-2014, 01:54 PM

I agree with the mesh feed especially when they are working on grasping skills and probably have no teeth.

I did spoon feed certain foods like yogurt (can you imagine that mess) but most things even mashed potatoes I let the baby figure it out.
mleob likes this.
#4 of 10 Old 04-22-2014, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

the mesh feeder works really well. We did strips of food like carrots, celery, cucumber as well

#5 of 10 Old 04-22-2014, 05:01 PM

Hi mleob

Introducing family foods to your baby can be a frustrating and messy time.Yes your bub is definitely ready to eat foods.Baby led weaning is one approach but in my experience works best combined with food offered on a spoon. Babies start to put things in their mouths from around four months and get better at it with practice.Slippery foods are even difficult for adults to hold sometimes.

At six months babies really need to complement their milk feeds with other nutrients. They get hungry. Offering finger foods with every meal as well as spoon foods can work really well. Don't worry about over feeding as babies are really good at letting you know when they have had sufficient. Yes still nurse before offering family foods till around eight months.

ruheling and mleob like this.
#6 of 10 Old 04-22-2014, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

thank you everyone, this is so helpful. i will look for a mesh feeder (where does one find these?) and will definitely continue to feed with a spoon also. It makes sense to me to do it both ways so I'm glad to hear others experiences with this. I feel he is actually getting quite hungry, even though we nurse full-time, and want to make sure he is getting enough.....we haven't been doing it at every meal yet, but I think I will start asap.

#7 of 10 Old 04-23-2014, 04:00 AM

I found the mesh feeders on amazon.com
#8 of 10 Old 04-23-2014, 09:46 PM

I suggest the feeder with a silicone insert rather than the mesh bag type. Much easier to clean!

treehugger.gifdh + geek.gifme + biggrinbounce.gifdd 9/06 + rainbow1284.gifbabyf.gifdd 5/13
#9 of 10 Old 04-24-2014, 05:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I also think a combination of purée foods and finger foods is best. I personally don't understand the argument for BLW exclusively. Julia is 9 months old and only able to feed herself a fraction of the food she enjoys being fed even with offering finger foods at every meal since 6 months. Sometimes she really wants to feed herself, other times she is really hungry and asks to be fed (body language). I have seen no evidence for this idea that babies who eat purees have trouble learning to chew and manipulate food, even though I've seen people on the BLW website talking about ruining a kid's reflexes with first foods purees.

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#10 of 10 Old 04-24-2014, 08:51 AM

It is also considered BLW to pre-load a spoon and hand it to your child. Our LO had 4 teeth by 8 months so the soft only foods was a very short stage for us!

If you are on Facebook there is an active group there that helped me sort things out in the beginning. Just look up Baby Led Weaning and it should pop up.

treehugger.gifdh + geek.gifme + biggrinbounce.gifdd 9/06 + rainbow1284.gifbabyf.gifdd 5/13

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page