Baby hit his head on tile - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-02-2014, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My baby rolled off our bed and hit his head on the tile floor. I stepped away for a second and now I know never to do that again but I found him on his back crying!! I checked for blood. There is no vomiting, his lips are pink but I thought he looked a little pale. His sight is fine and so is his breathing. This happened maybe 5 hours ago. He fell asleep maybe 15 minutes ago. When I picked him up from the fall  he cried for a while maybe 20  15/20 min and then he stopped and was acting like his old self.  He got very startled when our dog barked and was shaking his arms a lot and he never does that. I'm scared, I'm not sure if I should take him to the ER or not. :(

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 05-02-2014, 08:50 PM

Does your ped have a after hours number? The er usually has a nurse on call to take your questions. When my son fell off the bed his ped told me that she mainly worries about tile and cement floors because they do not have any give. I would call especially since his crying was extended and not for just a minute. Did you feel the back of his head for any bumps or dents? I know how scary worrying about a head injury is and you would feel better getting some professional medical advice. I hope your little guy is ok.
#3 of 10 Old 05-02-2014, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you I really appreciate the response. I'm a first time mom and I havent been this nervous about my LO since he was born. I did feel his head but I don't know if it's the bump or the shape of his head.

#4 of 10 Old 05-02-2014, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

When in doubt, always call or take him in. Most likely he will be just fine, but if you're worried, that is reason enough to go have him checked out. I'm so sorry. :(

Claudia Chapman likes this.
#5 of 10 Old 05-02-2014, 09:09 PM

I know, it will probably keep you up worrying. The reason I mentioned about the dent is that a fracture can feel like a dent. A bump sticking out it's less likely to involve internal injury. You mentioned about the dog. It's possible he could have a headache and the noise hurt. I don't mean to scare you but I would call. more than likely he is ok but I have heard of a boy who fell and hit his head on a brick step and he was ok for a few hours but started vomiting later and he had a brain injury requiring surgery. Please call because now I will worried too. Tile scares me as you can tell.
#6 of 10 Old 05-02-2014, 09:28 PM

I'm sorry--things like this are so stressful. I bet he is fine, but when I'm worried I always call, just to put my mind at ease. My doctors answering service has connected me to to doc on call a couple of times, most recently for my 6 year old who took a very bad fall onto concrete and was fine. I would expect a goose egg, and those are not a big deal at all, but a dent would be a concern. Dr Sears has a good checklist of what to look for with a head bump--it's on his website.
rednightingale likes this.

lucky mom to Oliver, 8/6/07, and Finn, 11/28/10, and wife to DH
#7 of 10 Old 05-02-2014, 11:58 PM

Hope everything is ok. Please let us know how your son is doing. Have a good night.
#8 of 10 Old 05-03-2014, 08:04 PM

Just checking in to see how your little one is doing. Did you call or take him in?
#9 of 10 Old 05-04-2014, 06:46 PM

Hope everything is going ok for your baby.
#10 of 10 Old 05-13-2014, 11:37 AM

I agree with everyone who said to always call the doctor when there's the least bit of doubt. A good rule of thumb might be if you're tempted to google or if you're scared, that means it's time to call. 

I think we've all suffered through that first horrible incident when you look away for a second and your baby falls and hits his head. The good news is that babies are "designed" to hit their head a couple of times. It goes with the territory of learning to walk. I think they probably all roll off the bed at least once. The bones in their heads aren't rigidly fused yet, so there's a certain amount of "give" that helps them to take the shock without serious injury. A knock on the head that would knock a grown-up for a loop might be nothing for a cruising baby.

It's so important to watch them all of the time and equally important to really know in your heart that even the most attentive mommy won't prevent every fall. My son stood up on a chair once and decided to take a dive like he was on a diving board. The whole incident couldn't have taken more than three seconds. I dove across the kitchen, but not soon enough to stop him from landing on his head. He too got pale and just crawled in my lap. I actually called my chiropractor because he was right around the corner (and is a doctor I might add.) We had a relationship and the chiropractor had adjusted us both after the birth. The chiropractor ran me through a list of questions on the phone and concluded that the baby was probably "stunned" by the fall and that was why he was pale and kind of quiet. Probably not serious, but don't let him fall asleep and bring him in. He did a couple of tests, looked at his pupils and so on, and concluded that the baby was okay. He also did a chiropractic adjustment. The worst part of the incident, aside from the guilt, was explaining the whole thing to my husband when I called him to say the baby had fallen on his head. "How did this HAPPEN???? (Silly me. I let it happen. I must have been distracted by the bon bons and soap operas.)

I wrote an article on Chiropractic for Babies which appeared in Nurturing Magazine by the way. Nurturing was Canada's equivalent of Mothering and resembled Mothering in its earliest days. I was a contributing editor. I'll have to dig it out.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page