Humidifiers, do they run constantly? Recommendations? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-05-2014, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, all. My son is an older baby (11 months) who sleeps in his own bedroom. It's a pretty small room, and the door is usually shut because he is a very light sleeper (slightest noise or light wakes him).

I didn't really use a humidifier in his room previously, but we really need one for him now. His breathing would be so much better, and our air is so dry in Southern Ca.

I was thinking of buying one of those Crane brand ones that is an elephant or a frog, but do you know if those run constantly? Or do the typical Vicks brand ones that are cool mist, run constantly? They are made for small rooms, but it says up to 250 sq feet, and I just know that room would get musty if something ran constantly??? Or do they switch on and off throughout the night?

I saw some on Amazon that have a humidity sensor, so those obviously do switch on and off, but they are more expensive. Dunno if I should spring for it, if my concern is over-humidifiying.

#2 of 4 Old 05-05-2014, 05:15 PM

We have a Vicks coolmist one. It comes on and shuts off intermittently to maintain a certain level of moisture. There's also a dial to select how much humidity you need. I think I got it at Wal-Mart for around $35, maybe.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#3 of 4 Old 05-06-2014, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!!! That is what I was wondering. I think if it goes on and off, that might be okay in the room. The one we own now just always runs, it is technically a caporizer
#4 of 4 Old 05-06-2014, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

There is a lot of difference between a humidifier and a vaporizer in how they affect room temperature.

For a kid in his own room, I would definitely look for one which has sensors and auto-shut-off.

We had a Vick's vaporizer in our daughter's room over the winter, and while it was VERY effective and both humidifying and heating the room overnight, and cheap cheap cheap, I had to check it before going to bed and then fiddle with it depending on that day's temp, and then turn it off myself when it was getting too humid at like 2 am. I was up anyway with the baby, but a few times when she slept longer without waking and I went in there later it was like a Louisiana Swap-land and she was all sweaty :-/. Some nights it was dry and very cold, and I let it run until empty. It was workable though. I'd use it again with another baby that's up a lot, but if DD is STTN by next winter, we may need to look for another option. 

We also have a cool-mist humidifier in our bedroom, but even on the "warm mist" setting , it cools down the room a lot, and so we didn't like it in her room since it's the coldest in the house. I like it a lot, but I don't think its remarkable compared to other similar brands. It's just the one Bed Bath and Beyond features.... I forget the brand and I am not home now.  

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page