Kids and Furniture - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-06-2014, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am moving soon and we will be selling a lot of furniture on CL and getting replacements that better fit our new space and new needs with a baby. I am coming to realize that there's a lot I hadn't considered as a single woman when getting furniture, and I am sure there's more. Any tips?

Here's what I've learned so far:

I am glad our coffee table is oval, so there's no sharp corners but... 

Our double-tall dining table is probably going to suck for a toddler to climb onto, so we may get a normal-height table. 

Here's some questions I have: 

What's the best fabric for a couch in a family home? I can't imagine a freshly Scotch-guarded couch is very conducive to keeping indoor air pollution low, but I don't think we can afford leather... Anything else to keep an eye out for with a couch? 

Did you go for cheap furniture and replace it when kids are older, or quality to withstand abuse, and you will try to teach respect of things and repair it as needed? 

What kind of kid-specifc furniture served as helpful tools in your home? Step-stools? Kid-height table? Little chairs? Squatty potty? 

For montessori folk: 

What do you do about bathroom access for a toddler? 

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#2 of 8 Old 05-06-2014, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We made quite a few changes when we had kids too. It was a lifestyle shift, and some items have really made things easier.

Got a couch from Ikea that has a removable slip cover that can be washed. This is great because I don't worry about it... Its easy enough to clean, and we can always buy a new cover if the kids really ruin it over the next few years. Instead of a coffee table, we use short nesting tables to put drinks on. They can stash out of the way nested when we need the floor space for tumbling or really spreading out.

Our old coffee table was moved to another room. It became a spot for art projects, and I added a couple of little chairs. It worked out perfectly.

In the dining room, we use stokke tripp trapp chairs so the kids can get in and out on their own from a very young age, and eat at the table with us inetead of on a tray. We had a learning tower in the kitchen for when my oldest was too wobbly for a step stool... I stowed it after awhile cause it's so clunky. May need to bring that out again when Dd2 gets bigger.

We did a Montessori style floor bed when dd1 was done cosleeping. With a little bookshelf as a nightstand, and a wall lamp my daughter could turn off and on herself from 18mo.

She has a little potty in her room, plus we got new toilet seats that have an integrated little seat she could just flip down and use if she wanted to use the big bathroom. She still uses both at 34 months.

In the kitchen we also put the dishes down in the lower cabinet so she could set the table, get a drink, etc. She is turmimg out to be remarkably self sufficient for almost three, and I think she enjoys having some control over her environment.
cynthiamoon likes this.
#3 of 8 Old 05-06-2014, 12:25 PM

We bought quality that can withstand abuse.. Love having leather couches because they wipe down easily. My daughter has a kid sized leather recliner that she loves. She also loves her little table and chair set. In the bathroom my husband made a stool so she can reach the sink to wash her hands. We also have faucet extenders on the faucet so the water can reach her. We put her on the toilet (she's almost 2 so climbing up and sitting in her own is still kind of tricky). We have the keekaroo high chair which is like the stokke and I love that it pulls up to the table so she just uses a placemat like everybody else. All of her dishes are in a low cupboard so she can get them easily and she also puts them away from the dishwasher and loves it! One of the best things we did was my husband made a "learning tower" we got the plans from the Ana white blog. It's basically a stool with walls so the can't fall off and it's adjustable so it grows with them. My daughter loves being on it and helping me cook and I don't have to worry about her falling off.
cynthiamoon likes this.
#4 of 8 Old 05-06-2014, 12:26 PM

Oh and she has a double bed that's in an ikea frame. We have it on a box spring but you can also just put a mattress in the frame so it's on the floor. She can get in and out easily smile.gif
#5 of 8 Old 05-06-2014, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Oh my goodness! so many good ideas already. I am loving those learning towers. Going to have to see if there's a good spot for that in the kitchen. I also like the chairs, but right now a clip-on Chicco chair works really well for feeding her at the table, so I'll wait for her to outgrow that before looking for chairs. 

We have a floor bed too, but the room is very sparse still since she is so young. 

Maybe the leather couch could be worth it. We'll have to look into that. 

Keep it coming :) 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#6 of 8 Old 05-07-2014, 03:30 AM

One other thing:
We opted to build a toy bin like this. It prevents dumping out toys (from baskets) especially during playdates, and everything stays visible for easy cleanup time.
mamapigeon likes this.
#7 of 8 Old 05-07-2014, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Ooo, that's nice. You guys are handy! I was handy once upon a time, but I've been living in apartments too long. 

#8 of 8 Old 05-20-2014, 11:07 AM

We have a couch from here in the leather cover and it's working out well for baby spills so far.  Much easier to wipe up than our old couch.  It's not super-duper high quality leather, but its affordable and still looks nice to my eyes, anyway.

http://www.homereserve.com/

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page