Baby started fighting the bottle - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-16-2014, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i'm posting this to ask for advice, not judgment.

my 12-week old DS has been taking the bottle very well since he was about 4 weeks old. however, the past few days, he has been fighting it - screaming, crying, turning red, etc. i'm going back to work on the 19th and am worried. we give him the bottle (with either formula or expressed breast milk) after breastfeeding since he doesn't get enough from me (only about 2oz). when he was taking the bottle, he would ingest about another 2-3oz, so i know he's still hungry after taking the breast. it has been a very frustrating venture. anyone know what we can do? thanks!

#2 of 6 Old 05-17-2014, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Did you recently switch formulas? Is reflux a possibility? Is he otherwise acting normally? I would also ask in the Breastfeeding challenges forum, maybe some other supplementing moms can help. A call to your ped wouldn't hurt.

Granola-ey, crunchy, marathoning, natural living Christian mamatreehugger.gif down south with DHguitar.gif and DD1 (6)dust.gif, DD2 (2)energy.gif, and DD3 babygirl.gif.    homebirth.jpgwinner.jpgcd.giffemalesling.GIFgoorganic.jpghomeschool.gif
#3 of 6 Old 05-23-2014, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

we didn't change formulas... we would do expressed breast milk as well...

he seems to have settled himself.. he still "plays" with the nipple, but the battles have (perhaps, temporarily) ceased, thank goodness!
#4 of 6 Old 05-24-2014, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I was a supplementing mama, and around 3 months or so we switched to an at-the-breast supplememnter, like the Lact-Aid because we had the opposite problem. My daughter started refusing nursing because I had such slow milk flow. Seems like it's a time hen babies start to show preferences all around. Since you are going back to work soon, I don't suggest the supplementer, but it worked so well for us to consolidate BFing and supplementation into one feed. Just thought I'd throw it out there in case you wanna try it while breastfeeding to reduce need for bottles. 

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#5 of 6 Old 05-25-2014, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

In my experience, my baby had "fights" with the bottle from the beggining (around 8 weeks). He is almost 6 months old now, and we had all sorts of situations in this 5 months, wich resolved themselves alone. Most of the time he had no problem feeding at all, and then without warning he would cry when he was halfway through the bottle, like he was drinking fine and then crying with no reason (every single time he fed) and then, boom, all back to normal within a few days. Then a few weeks later, IDK, another situation like for example he refused to drink more than half of what he was used to, and started to take small feedings every two hours (this happened when he was around 4 months old), and then that lasted a few days and then back on track, and so on. 

We dealt with it doing research, observing the baby carefully (to check if something relevant was going on), and then lots of patience. Right now, when he starts feeding, he drinks fine and then starts hitting the bottle with his arms, he is strong so I have to be careful or the bottle would go flying. He is not upset, it looks like he wants to play, but refuses to take it back until we distract him with something else. He is a very easy baby, but sometimes we go through this stages. I guess it's normal.

#6 of 6 Old 05-25-2014, 11:53 PM

My son does this with his bottle when he's teething. He'll start fighting it for a few days but then when the teething settles down, so does the fighting.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page