Mothering Forum banner

Taking a young baby to an outdoor public pool

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  superbeans 
#1 ·
Is this okay or not recommended?

My 9-year-old would like to go to the pool, and I want him to practice his swimming. But the pool most accessible to us is a city pool: outdoors, chlorinated, usually pretty crowded.

I feel like the risk of my not-yet-vaccinated baby catching some disease is low, what with the chlorine and fresh air. Am I way off?

My bigger concern is sunburn. It's not safe to put sunscreen on babies under six months, right? Zinc oxide diaper cream is safe and blocks light; should I put that on her nose and shoulders? (I remember my dad's friend doing this to his very fair kids, but that doesn't mean it was a good idea...) There is no shade near enough to the pool that I could satisfy all the "Watch this Mama!!" or have baby in the water, and still have her in the shade.

Anything else I should know about babies and pools, other than the obvious "look out for drowning"?

#2 ·
The pool was my youngest's first outing at less than a week old. Same reasons-didn't want her sister to miss out on her favorite summer sport. I tried to go either early or late to cut down on the direct sun and didn't put her in the water until her cord stump was healed, but other than that we didn't do anything special besides put a hat on her. Everything was fine, and she's always loved the water. Have fun! ;)

#3 ·
I believe there is a sunscreen that can be used on babies. I remember being surprised that there was one when I worked in the infant room. It's beem a long time though. It was probably from one of the stores specializing in organic stuff. Long sleeved clothing and a big hat should reduce most of the need for sunscreen.

#4 ·
The Honest Company makes a zinc oxide sunscreen safe to use on babies from day 1. My only concern (after reading several articles on the reactions in the water between chlorine and bodily oils) would be keeping the water out of her eyes. According to the articles (and the morning radio show) the "burning eyes" from the pool is not the chlorine but the reaction between the chlorine and the pee in the pool.

Agreed on a sun hat and long sleeves usually being enough.

And I want to add that I think your baby will really enjoy swimming, my baby was only 6 months old when we went to the pool for the first time and she loved it.

#5 ·
We just took our(albeit 6 month old) to our public outdoor pool for the first time. We bought her a swim shirt with long sleeves and she wore a hat with a brim. We also tried to hold her facing away from the sun. If you do go, do so before 10am or after 2/4 (I'm hearing conflicting times). Also, you could get a floating baby gadget with a visor (is that what it's called?)

#6 ·
We take our 7 month old to the pool and have been for a little while. We use one of those long sleeve/pant swim suits which look a little silly but our babe is super pale. Better to look silly then sunburned :smile: We also keep a hat on her and use sunscreen. Little babies at this age love love love the pool. Its super sweet. Have fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.