8 mth old sleep issues - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-03-2014, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
8 mth old sleep issues

Hi Mummas,

My 8 month old boy is breastfed (never taken a bottle) eats 2-3 solids per day, goes to bed at 7:30 After a routine, has 3 naps a day, is very social and happy, walking around furniture and by all accounts fabulous (like all babies lol) however...
his nighttime sleep is challenging..
most nights he wakes every 2-4 hours to feed.. and what seems like genuine big feeds.. I'm pretty tired so I'm getting pretty over not having had a good sleep (plus were ttc)..
my boy falls asleep almost on his own.. with just a hand on his back (it's taken a while to get to this point) we've tried almost everything.. my hubby has tried putting him back to sleep, I've tried water in a sippy cup, and all he does is whinge/cry until he has a feed.. my dr said she had the same issue with her twins until 14 months they slept through, the only night he slept longer 6+hrs was when he had a cold and wouldn't bf so I had to syringe feed formula..
I don't drink caffeine I take supplements like fenugreek to help my milk supply (I'm on the smaller side so it can be challenging to keep my supply bountiful).. any mums have any advice or suggestions.. I'm not ok with CIO as he just keeps going and going.. sorry for the long post just wanted to provide as much info oh and I feel as tho so many people judge that I'm still feeding him at night (except the dr and some family) night weaning just doesn't seem remotely possible given how much he feeds...
#2 of 8 Old 07-05-2014, 12:54 PM

Sounds pretty normal to me...

Could you cut out one of his daytime naps? 3 naps a day may be too much for him at this point. Maybe he's not tired enough at night.
Is he in his own room?

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#3 of 8 Old 07-06-2014, 10:28 AM

My daughter just turned 9 months old and I would also recommend seeing if he would be willing to cut down to 2 naps. DD goes to bed around 7-8pm (4 hours after she wakes up from last nap) and usually naps around 9am and 2pm (roughly - we don't do schedules!) for a total of ~2.5 hours. It has helped immensely with getting her to sleep, too - she used to fight me and fight me! She nurses to sleep for her naps and bedtime, and has 3 meals of solids a day as well, but still nurses 1-2 times a night and then again first thing in the morning. I think this is just totally normal! I should mention we bedshare so it isn't much of an inconvenience for me to nurse her at night.

Married my best friend 05.09.10, welcomed our darling daughter on 10.01.13!

08.12,  12.12, MTHFR Homo C677T diagnosis 01.13, DD born 10.13

#4 of 8 Old 07-16-2014, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You might also try nursing him more frequently during the day, so that he's not so hungry at night.
#5 of 8 Old 07-23-2014, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Regular night waking is normal at that age. Focus on one baby at a time. It's too soon to TTC. Are you cosleeping?

Bring back the old MDC
#6 of 8 Old 07-29-2014, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I agree that regular night waking at this age is completely normal, though challenging. Everything you've written sounds like my own sweet baby boy, who is also 8 months old He sleeps with me and while it is far easier than going to another room or a crib to get him when he needs to nurse, it still interrupts my sleep. He is my second though, and his sister was never much of a sleeper, so my expectations were VERY different this time! I am sorry you are not getting support from friends and family about his sleep and night waking/nursing. I am sure he is actually hungry!! My DS certainly is, he doesn't politely nurse but gulps through his feeds at night. I also truly cannot imagine adding TTC to my routine right now. I am just spent but so enjoying this precious time with DS. Please know his needs are real and you are an amazing mama for responding to them. While this moment is difficult and feels like it may go on forever, it really is temporary. He will sleep longer, soon, and need to nurse less. Enjoy your sweet little one and big hugs and understanding to you (I am quite sleep deprived too, mama!).

Mama to Little Bean and Baby Bean partner to My Love and loving caretaker to cat.gif dog2.gif and chicken3.gif 

I am a treehugger.gif Mama whocd.gif femalesling.GIFwinner.jpgfamilybed1.gif

#7 of 8 Old 08-12-2014, 08:08 AM

I also have an 8-mo-old boy. He sleeps with us in our bed. I have been noticing he too wakes up more frequently during the night. Maybe just a phase. Maybe they want the comfort of knowing mama's still there. I thought I read that somewhere, has to do with stranger anxiety. First thing that jumped out at me was 7:30 bedtime is maybe too early and that's why he's having a hard time staying asleep all night? My guy doesn't go down till 10pm. When my baby boy wakes up, he nurses and goes back to sleep, we do this on demand. It would be pretty tough for me to have him in a crib sleepwise. Just some ideas for you.
#8 of 8 Old 08-24-2014, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My daughter (now 7 months) actually started sleeping much better when she started sleeping in her own crib, in her own room. I know that she still wakes up periodically through the night because I can hear her, but she just chatters to herself for awhile and then goes back to sleep. If she needs me, she lets me know. By not going in every time she makes a peep --but going in if she needs me-- she got used to eating less at night and more during the day, and we all are much better rested. These days she goes down around 7:30 and wakes up at 6:30am. I pull her into bed with me for a feed and a cuddle, and she falls back to sleep after about a half-hour and we snooze together until about 8:30.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page