Sleepy baby - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 07-14-2014, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Sleepy baby

Hi all. I'm sure some of you will call me crazy (ok, fine) but my 7 week old LO (nearly 8 wks old) sleeps all the time. Like 19-20 hours per day?! I'm thinking that it is just what he needs, but it is weird since my DD never slept at this age (exaggeration- but it sure felt like it). He has a period in the morning where he's alert for 2 hours and then it's off to sleep again, waking in the afternoon a couple of times for about an hour a piece. Then he sleeps thru the night until about 5 am. We go to his ped this Friday & I'm going to mention it, of course, but I'm wondering if anyone else had a LO this age that was so sleepy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 07-15-2014, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierramtngirl View Post
Hi all. I'm sure some of you will call me crazy (ok, fine) but my 7 week old LO (nearly 8 wks old) sleeps all the time. Like 19-20 hours per day?! I'm thinking that it is just what he needs, but it is weird since my DD never slept at this age (exaggeration- but it sure felt like it). He has a period in the morning where he's alert for 2 hours and then it's off to sleep again, waking in the afternoon a couple of times for about an hour a piece. Then he sleeps thru the night until about 5 am. We go to his ped this Friday & I'm going to mention it, of course, but I'm wondering if anyone else had a LO this age that was so sleepy?
sounds like a pretty amazing baby to me
i wish my LO slept like that!

all i can say is, enjoy that he sleeps that long now, because it wont last forever!!

keep us posted on what the doc says....i'm interested

~ I am obsessed with car seat safety and advice on the best car seats!

Love you all!!
Kaitlyn R.
#3 of 7 Old 07-16-2014, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a sleepy bye baby too. It was a bit of a concern his first few days because he was too tired to nurse some of the time. By the end of the first week though with a few dropper feedings he got it and woke up for eating plenty. Initially, that's really all babies do is eat and sleep. As long as he is eating okay, I don't think its really a concern.
I don't remember when my baby started waking up more, it was sort of a gradual thing, but some time beyond the 2 month mark. Your baby isn't even there yet.
#4 of 7 Old 07-16-2014, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My baby was awake more until I learned to recognize her drowsy signals (at around six weeks old), and then she started sleeping exactly how you're describing. She's now six months and she still takes 3 naps/day and sleeps 12 hours straight through the night. She is happy and healthy, and when my pediatrician heard how much she was sleeping, she said, "Oh, no wonder she's such an easygoing baby! She's so well rested!"
#5 of 7 Old 07-21-2014, 04:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think the only concern would be making sure your baby is getting enough to eat. Here is an article that describes what I remember reading in one of Sheila Kitzinger's books. Hope your appointment went well!
#6 of 7 Old 07-21-2014, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone who offered info so far. We didn't get to our appt as our ped went into labor the day of our visit. I have to call today to reschedule. As far as growth, I feel like he's doing great (this is the one thing I'm actually not worried about! I tend to be a worrier by nature with some PPA-tendencies). He was 6#10 oz at birth, 9# at his 1 month visit & is guess he's close to 11# now- wearing 0-3/3 month clothes comfortably. Thank you tho -xo
#7 of 7 Old 08-04-2014, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

I wanted to update. Still haven't been in for DS's two month wcv, but he is now almost 11 weeks. At this point he's much more alert than he was and seems to have more of a sleep pattern established (vs just sleeping most of the day). He's up in the am, around 4-5 for an hour or so. Sleeps 2-3 hours, up for 2 hours & then dozes off & on with an hour of sleep followed with an hour of being awake. He's much more content when awake now, super smiley and cooing back and forth with anyone who is available. He must just need that much rest as done if you have suggested . Thank you so much to all who replied.

Recommended Reading
User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page