10 month old not crawling - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 18Likes

#1 of 21 Old 07-25-2014, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
10 month old not crawling

I'm sure I'm just worrying over nothing but my DS has always resisted tummy time & alone play time (I'm home with him so I definitely give in to his frustrating whines too quickly) and is held a lot. Well he started walking holding fingers 2 months ago and everyone said "wow! He'll just skip crawling" but I've noticed he hasn't learned to fall properly (he just stiffens his body & falls backwards because I'm always there to catch him) or scale furniture like crawling babies. Of course all he wants to do is be mobile but that means holding my hand and walking all day long. He cries and face plants when put on his belly or crawling position to "practice", I've taken him to a pediatric chiropractor and his pediatrician isn't worried but as his mom, I'm concerned. Any advice, stories or reassurance? Thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 07-25-2014, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Some babies don't craw. This is mostly form sleeping on the back v. belly.
Soon he will be walking on his own and you will be wishing he would sit for a moment.
#3 of 21 Old 07-25-2014, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
My eldest didn't crawl or cruise at all. Then she got up and walked at about 10 months. At 5yo, she's absolutely fine. All in good time, mama!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#4 of 21 Old 07-26-2014, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I have a younger sister who never crawled and she walked at 18 months.

We call her "Doctor" today.

Do not worry about it.

All babies are different, and there is plenty of variation within the normal parameters.
#5 of 21 Old 07-26-2014, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the support, I guess I'm worried about how he falls (never even tries to catch himself) and of course I stumbled upon a website (Janet Lansbury I believe?) who basically made it sound like the worst thing you could do was "finger walk" babies before they're mobile on their own! I just don't want to screw him up ya know?
#6 of 21 Old 07-28-2014, 04:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ao411 View Post
I'm sure I'm just worrying over nothing but my DS has always resisted tummy time & alone play time (I'm home with him so I definitely give in to his frustrating whines too quickly) and is held a lot. Well he started walking holding fingers 2 months ago and everyone said "wow! He'll just skip crawling" but I've noticed he hasn't learned to fall properly (he just stiffens his body & falls backwards because I'm always there to catch him) or scale furniture like crawling babies. Of course all he wants to do is be mobile but that means holding my hand and walking all day long. He cries and face plants when put on his belly or crawling position to "practice", I've taken him to a pediatric chiropractor and his pediatrician isn't worried but as his mom, I'm concerned. Any advice, stories or reassurance? Thank you!!
hi

Don't worry to much about your 10 month old not crawling. It says the average for crawling starts anywhere between 9 months and 1 year. Walking can start at 9 months but it is also perfectly normal for kids to not walk until after a year old it takes 14 to 18 months.
#7 of 21 Old 08-01-2014, 04:41 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Okay, first off: not crawling by 10 months is normal. By 12, 13 months is when peds begin to be concerned and order an OT eval or similar. No reason to panic or to stop finger walking if he enjoys it, but there is a reason to keep an eye on his development.

While it is true that some kids skip crawling, it is rare (about 10% of kids) and usually runs in families. And going from refusing tummy time and face planting whenever put on their tummies to actually, functionally walking is REALLY rare - in fact I think I haven't heard about it. As a rule, the kids who skip crawling develop some other motor skill that lets them move without leaving the floor before they are ready (and as you have noted, your DS isn't ready). They roll, commando crawl, tushy-scoot, or squirm their way where they want to go - apparently some kids arch their backs, place their legs under their tushies then push their heads and shoulders forward. Not efficient but effective in that they are able to move somewhere they find more interesting than where they have been placed. When you place your baby on the ground, what does he do? Does he roll both ways? When placed on his tummy, why does he not roll over on his back if he prefers that position - could he do it, even? He should!

So I'd start by observing what he does when you place interesting things in the vicinity and let him find his way while you fold the laundry or whatever, and then start asking around: what do your mom, your DS' dad's mom, maybe grandparents if they are still around, have to say about the way you, your DS' dad and siblings in the family began to move? Any odd developmental sequence or odd delay that runs in the family? If everyone shrugs and says: " you all crawled at 9 months and walked at 12 months" or some such I think I'd start pushing for a thorough eval with your ped if things haven't changed in a few months or so. .
#8 of 21 Old 08-01-2014, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Baby not crawling needs tummy time

My son crawled at about 7-8 months. However, he also hated tummy time - your son's reaction sounds familiar to me. My best advice is to let him do more on his own. If we wants to move around he will have to do it himself. Put him on his tummy for a while several times a day and let him be frustrated when he can't grab the interesting toy that is just out of his reach. I think you're making things too easy for him. He expects you to catch him so has not learned how to fall - not a good sign. Try and encourage him to develop his abilities on his own. (for example sitting up on his own, and then reaching for things) It helps if he sees other children crawling or rolling or scooting to get toys - it shows him what's possible. I would advise you to let him fail as much as possible in non-damaging ways. For instance, put down the foam floor mats all over his room/play area and then stick him on his belly in the middle of the floor just out of reach of something he wants and let him try and move around. You'll probably see a lot of head bonking and hear some mad screams, because you're changing the rules on him, but none of this will hurt him. Sounds to me like he expects you to do everything he wants, and until you encourage him to develop the ability to do things himself, he could get hurt whenever you are not there to catch him. You are trading some frustration from him now for the peace of mind (for you) that he can (eventually) do things for himself in a safe manner. I would stop letting him walk on your fingers as much, and let him start falling on his own when you do walk him on your fingers (don't catch him - make sure he falls onto pillows or a soft/foam surface of course so he doesn't hurt himself). Set a small baby table in the middle of your foamed floor and let him cruise around that if he's got walking figured out okay. He'll quickly learn how to stop himself from plopping down. Children learn through doing. Best of luck!
#9 of 21 Old 08-01-2014, 09:31 PM

My firstborn skipped crawling. She walked on her own at 15 months after doing months of us holding her hands to walk with her. When she did walk on her own she was very steady and did not fall much. She is extremely bright. Physically she does fine, but she continues to be very hesitant. She is a little clumsy, but her father is too so I think she gets it from him. But otherwise she is fine.
#10 of 21 Old 08-14-2014, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the support everyone, though some of it was hard to read. I've already been being pretty hard on myself for restricting his development, of course it was only out of wanting him to be happy and not get hurt but I guess I just didn't know I was doing any damage I hope it's reversible. I've been leaving him (safely) on his belly to play & watching when he doesn't know I am & he manages to squirm forward on his belly a bit using his toes to push off. I think that's a good sign. But oh boy does he yell at me once he sees me, holding those little arms up for me to finger walk him. I've been trying not to but it's hard on both of us. His sleeping has taken a nosedive. What a mess. I know things could be much, much worse but I've definitely don't get mom of the year award this time around! Poor baby, I hope he catches up without too much more struggle. Thanks again for the support.
#11 of 21 Old 08-14-2014, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Wait, how are you restricting his development?? Are locking him up somewhere? Are you keeping him from doing something?

If I remember right your Ped said he was not worried. It sounds like you are doing a good job. He is a baby. Babies needs to be attention. He NEEDS you to give him all your attention. You are doing a great job. Keep up the good work.
#12 of 21 Old 08-14-2014, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
mine is 8 and she isn't crawling either
#13 of 21 Old 08-15-2014, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazsmum View Post
Wait, how are you restricting his development?? Are locking him up somewhere? Are you keeping him from doing something?

If I remember right your Ped said he was not worried. It sounds like you are doing a good job. He is a baby. Babies needs to be attention. He NEEDS you to give him all your attention. You are doing a great job. Keep up the good work.
Thank you Nazsmum.. Just Mama guilt I guess that I didn't force him to do tummy time & have enough alone time to figure out how his body moves/what he can do on his own. I'm trying that now but boy does he get mad at me since he's so used to me always being there to "save him" from his belly!
Thank you for your kindness.
#14 of 21 Old 08-15-2014, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollana View Post
mine is 8 and she isn't crawling either
Yours is 8 months Sollana? That's ok! Give him/her time, I've discovered some don't crawl until even later, my guy just wants to walk but doesn't have the strength or experience with falling that crawling babies gain. All in good time as many of the previous posters assured me
#15 of 21 Old 08-16-2014, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Both of my kids did NOT have any interest in being on their stomachs. DS2 was really really late to start crawling, and has some kind of issue with his motor development--at this point in time we don't know what that entails. Frankly, from what I've learned, all you can do is provide opportunities, you can't force motor development. Just make note of what you're seeing. It may end up being nothing--or it may be a sign of something else. I don't think you're a bad parent, it's just that sometimes what works for other people/other kids doesn't work for yours.
#16 of 21 Old 08-20-2014, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ao411 View Post
I've noticed he hasn't learned to fall properly (he just stiffens his body & falls backwards because I'm always there to catch him)
This part jumped out at me. My DD2 has had Early Intervention for some motor issues during her first year (and for a few months after as well). I highly recommend calling your local Early Intervention service-- not because I think something is wrong, but because they will do an in-depth look that goes beyond what a pediatrician will see at a well-baby visit. After an intitial conversation with you, they will either send you on your way because everything sounds good, or decide to do an evaluation.

If they go forward, they will send an experienced evaluator (in our case it was a team-- an occupational therapist, special education teacher, and a service co-ordinator) to give your baby a very comprehensive evaluation. What is so great is that if your baby is developing along their own course, this evaluation can give you peace of mind. If there is something quirky going on, they can get free services for your sweet one, right in your own home.

My own child still falls funky (and often) but EI services were really helpful for her and comforting for us as parents.

You are an on-top-of-it mama and don't worry about restricting development. I have mommy-fear after reading Janet Lansbury, too.
#17 of 21 Old 08-24-2014, 06:33 PM

Just wanted to say, my lo crawled around 10 months, walked around 14 months. She is 3 now an totally fine. Before she started crawling, two moms I am very close to were really giving me a hard time for rescuing her when she panicked during tummy time or not just letting her suffer indefinitely when she couldn't reach something. I really felt blamed by them that she couldn't crawl yet but it really went against my mama's heart to just ignore her when she asked for help. Incidently both of these moms had kids who crawled at 5 months without any special encouragement. I don't necessarily think intentionally frustrating kids to further their motor development is an essential part of learning. I would go easy on yourself. If your kid was the early crawling type your mothering him wouldn't stop him unless you restrained him all day in a crib or car seat or something. You aren't screwing him up.
#18 of 21 Old 09-15-2014, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I agree with boater. Every child is different, and you really can't force him/her to develop on a certain schedule. And leaving them to suffer in a prone position because the latest research says they have to spend a certain amount of time on their tummies is probably not the right thing to do if you, the mother, don't feel right about it.
My DD is almost 11 months and is not crawling. I also suffered mommy guilt because I didn't give her much tummy time and tended to rescue her as soon as she started fussing. She never liked tummy time and I couldn't stand leaving her in what looked to me like an uncomfortable and helpless position for long.
She began finger-walking in earnest a couple of months ago, and seems to be progressing well. At the advice of my mother, I started sitting her on the floor by herself more frequently (after I got over my fear that she would be bowled over by her big brother) and observed her while I was doing housework. Turns out, she's a bottom-scootcher. She was very pleased with herself when she learned she could work her way over to whatever it was she wanted. She puts both hands on the floor and looks like she's about to get into crawling position, but can't seem to get both knees under her. So she wiggles, pushes and drags herself to where she wants to go. It's amazing how fast and how far she can go like that. Sometimes she'll wind up on her tummy and drag herself across the floor, but she seems quite a bit less happy with this form of locomotion.
At first the finger-walking was very tiring for me, as I seemed to be constantly bending over her, shuffling along at a slow pace for long periods of time. But now she's down to just holding on with one finger (with an iron grip) and toddles along at quite a pace, free arm reaching out for the latest curiosity. Much easier for me, as I can stand up a little straighter while I help her walk. She even stands unassisted for a few seconds at a time, feet flat on the floor. She cruises a bit, becoming more and more confident that she can make her way while holding on to the furniture. Falling....? Hmmm, I'm not sure, but I think she usually falls on her bottom, but I always try to be close at hand to catch her when she's not in her playpen. Our house has some hazards that can't easily be baby-proofed, so I do try to be close by as much as possible to keep her away from danger-spots.
I don't know of anyone else in either DH's family or mine, who skipped crawling. DS crawled for a few weeks and then started cruising, taking his first independent steps shortly after his first birthday. Perhaps DD's bottom-scootching is a form of crawling. In all, I'm not too worried about DD's development, and it sounds like your DS is doing fine, ao411. I think a certain amount of mommy-guilt comes with the territory, though most of it is unfounded.
#19 of 21 Old 09-18-2014, 12:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
My daughter never did tummy time. She learned to flip to her back pretty young, and then it was like trying to set a cat down on its back - she would be twisting back over to her back just as we set her down. We did teach her to crawl from sitting by holding tantalizing objects just out of her reach. Theoretically she needed that tummy time to get herself strong enough to crawl, but that's just not how it happened for us. My son didn't pull up until he'd had a few bottom crashes after standing up out of the blue, holding onto nothing. Go figure. He never crawled either - he bottom scooted.

I found no comfort in EI in my area (my daughter had birth complications and a speech delay). They were uniformly inexperienced in their fields and just all over the place in their assessments. If I remember right, DuchessTergie said on another thread that she had worked with EI for quite a few years. I'm sure she doesn't live in my state: "years" would be such an unheard of thing here! Looking back, I wish we had gone straight to the private sector for my daughter's speech therapy. I'm not saying your son needs any type of therapy at all, but if you do choose to go the EI eval route, I would suggest trying to talk to other moms who have already used the services and can give you the low-down on what things are like where you live.

But really, if your son seems generally normal, I would not be worried. If you are loving him and offering him opportunities to move around and explore new things, I don't see how you could cause him terrible, irreparable damage. Babies are just all really different. The books and experts want to tell you there is no way to get from A to C without passing B, but if you talk to a lot of moms that seems to happen all the time.
#20 of 21 Old 09-20-2014, 02:24 PM

ok, no worries about not crawling yet. I am sure by now with all the other responses that you arent so freaked out, but I will give u my 2 cents just cause mine might be different. I have a 5 yo, 2 yo, and 8 month old twins.... my 5 year old and 2 year old were super chunky, and so it one of my twins. The 5 yo (girl) and 2 yo (boy) were both very different in their approach. my daughter would sit and observe for weeks and weeks until she thought she had it right, then she decided to give it a try a little less than a year old. When she was a year and a couple months she was walking. My son, the 2 yo, watched his sister move so fast past him, so at 10 months he was crawling and walking at a year. My chunky twin, he can flip from his stomach to his back, not the other way around, and he arches his back and scoots his head up while pushing with his heels to move from point A to point B. His younger brother, the smaller twin and complete opposite of his brother in every way, is all over the place. He just fully understood his mobility this week and is super excited. He was flipping back and forth from front to back like crazy for a couple weeks, and then the other day he just got it. Now he has been holding onto the side of the crib and standing there for 10-15 minutes just chewing on the bar. Today he sat up from a laying down position, crawled over to the couch and pulled himself up to a standing position. Every kid is different, just encourage all the good growth =) I find my chunky hunky wants to move more when I am really happy and encouraging when he does move around.
#21 of 21 Old 09-20-2014, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letitia View Post
I found no comfort in EI in my area (my daughter had birth complications and a speech delay. They were uniformly inexperienced in their fields and just all over the place in their assessments. If I remember right, DuchessTergie said on another thread that she had worked with EI for quite a few years. I'm sure she doesn't live in my state: "years" would be such an unheard of thing here! Looking back, I wish we had gone straight to the private sector for my daughter's speech therapy. I'm not saying your son needs any type of therapy at all, but if you do choose to go the EI eval route, I would suggest trying to talk to other moms who have already used the services and can give you the low-down on what things are like where you live.

But really, if your son seems generally normal, I would not be worried. If you are loving him and offering him opportunities to move around and explore new things, I don't see how you could cause him terrible, irreparable damage. Babies are just all really different. The books and experts want to tell you there is no way to get from A to C without passing B, but if you talk to a lot of moms that seems to happen all the time.
I was a Special Education teacher for the Department of Defense before I had DD1. I taught many grade levels, but my last year I was pre-school and working with little ones transitioning from the equivalent to EI. When DD2 came along and had some unique issues, and her ped referred her to EI, I was thankful to have a background. I agree- EI varies widely from state to state. DD2's service were inadequate in one state, fantastic in another. Go figure. BUT-- it is worth the gamble.

Your son not crawling and hating tummy time are not reasons to contact EI, in my opinion. I agree with the above posters. Kids to their own thing, in their own time. My understanding is that crawling is not even an "official" milestone because so many kiddos skip it altogether. Really, if he is finding his own way of getting from Point A to Point B, things are looking good at this point.

I only brought up EI because of the stiffening while falling. If he seems playful while doing this, it is just no biggie. If he falls back without flexing at the hips all the time, then it would warrant a conversation. I hope all is going well for you and your little guy.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page