7 week old cries/squirms when I lay her on my chest- rooting reflex or in pain? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-27-2014, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question 7 week old cries/squirms when I lay her on my chest- rooting reflex or in pain?

Hi everyone,

FTM here in need of some major help :/!! DD has pretty bad reflux, so we've been advised to keep her upright as much as possible/burp her over shoulder/hold her upright. However, everytime I (or DH) try to carry her chest to chest or up over one shoulder supporting her head or have her lay on our chests, she gets really tense and starts moving her head around super fast from side to middle to other side, and then crying! Sometimes she will also kick her legs and try to crawl up my chest! The few times she has fallen asleep on my or dh's chest (when she has been suuuper tired and not able to fight sleep), she wakes up immediately crying out as if in pain, and squirming even harder!

What I am wondering is: does she not like this position because it triggers her rooting reflex and she gets frustrated, or because it causes her some type of genuine discomfort? If it's the rooting thing, then of course we will keep trying it and trying to use the pacifier to help distract her (only works every once in a while), as it is a really beneficial way to keep her upright for her reflux! However, if this position is causing her some type of discomfort, then of course I don't want to keep trying this, but it's just really hard to tell which it is! I know it's not hunger, because she does it even when she it totally full right after a feeding.

So, just wondering, have any other mothers experienced this type of a reaction to holding their newborn lo chest to chest/shoulder? Her pediatrician checked her and structurally, her back/neck/ect looks fine and she does not seem to have any issues there. Just want to know if this is normal or something I should look into further....I haven't been able to find anything about this online (lots of info about babies who hate laying flat, but none about babies who respond negatively to chest to chest/shoulder), so any personal experiences or thoughts would be so helpful!

Thanks SO much !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 07-28-2014, 02:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My LO had reflux and also did not like to lie on my chest until she was older. She was most comfortable being worn or held upright or semi upright in a position that allowed nursing access. Mei Tais and some buckle carriers work well for this; I used a Pikkolo. Being able to take little sips of breastmilk and to comfort suck near-constantly as needed provides pain relief and protection against esophageal irritation.

Have you looked into food sensitivities? I found that avoiding dairy (the usual reflux culprit), soy, and eggs for a while really helped.
#3 of 3 Old 07-28-2014, 05:38 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
My LO did this when he was younger (he is nearly 10 wks now) & has terrible reflux. He still dislikes tummy time, but does tolerate being on my chest now (& I have been barfed on many times in this position- so I wouldn't be surprised if this is uncomfortable for your LO ). Reflux sucks!! My first DD, no issues at all- so it has been an eye opener with this little guy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page