Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

#1 of 6 Old 07-30-2014, 03:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Post My Baby Guide app

Hello!

I am a beginning Android developer and I am going to create my first app. I was looking for some ideas in different forums and finally think I found a good one.

I would like to create My Baby Guide app. I think it would be really helpful for parents to track baby personal growth from month to month. Besides that you can upload pictures and personal notes of the most important developments of your own baby! What do you think? Will this app be popular among users?

What other features/options would you add?

Please share your thoughts?

Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 07-31-2014, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
The growth tracking should include a graph showing the baby's percentile for weight, height, head size. I like seeing the percentile. If you could check off when baby reaches certain milestones, that would be fun as well. Walking, crawling, rolling over, when teeth come in, etc.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 6 Old 07-31-2014, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
I don't weigh and measure my kids all that often. I didn't even when they were babies. I don't have a scale around the house that deals well with infant weight, so between well-child visits, it wasn't data I generated on my own. And at well-child visits, they gave me copies of the kid's growth chart (i can retrieve these electronically through the doctor's website now). So a monthly baby weight tracking app wouldn't have been interesting.

The fun part of uploading baby pictures and stories is having friends and family tell me how cute the kids are. Just putting them up for me to look at is a little lonely.

My friends who have babies now seem to all have apps that track feedings and sleep and diaper changes, which seems very useful with infants. Have you looked at the other baby apps on the market at all?
#4 of 6 Old 08-01-2014, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for your feedback. These are all good points. I wonder how an app can determine diaper changes and if it is not easier to check it visually

I made a research and even installed a couple of related apps on my device.

Among them were:
-My First Baby Diary
-My Baby Today
-Child Percentiles

Based on what I saw and your comments I am now closer to thinking that it should be a diary app that will collect baby's progress (it is not about weight), with photos and probably geo locations and it should be enhanced with graphs. Saved entries,pics may be shared with friends and relatives as an interactive part. Do you have any ideas?
#5 of 6 Old 08-02-2014, 11:25 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepyCat View Post
I don't weigh and measure my kids all that often. I didn't even when they were babies. I don't have a scale around the house that deals well with infant weight, so between well-child visits, it wasn't data I generated on my own. And at well-child visits, they gave me copies of the kid's growth chart (i can retrieve these electronically through the doctor's website now). So a monthly baby weight tracking app wouldn't have been interesting.

The fun part of uploading baby pictures and stories is having friends and family tell me how cute the kids are. Just putting them up for me to look at is a little lonely.

My friends who have babies now seem to all have apps that track feedings and sleep and diaper changes, which seems very useful with infants. Have you looked at the other baby apps on the market at all?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_Kirk View Post
Thanks for your feedback. These are all good points. I wonder how an app can determine diaper changes and if it is not easier to check it visually

I made a research and even installed a couple of related apps on my device.

Among them were:
-My First Baby Diary
-My Baby Today
-Child Percentiles

Based on what I saw and your comments I am now closer to thinking that it should be a diary app that will collect baby's progress (it is not about weight), with photos and probably geo locations and it should be enhanced with graphs. Saved entries,pics may be shared with friends and relatives as an interactive part. Do you have any ideas?
I would never use something like this. It strikes me as weird and paranoid and somewhat obsessive. Do these parents not have clocks? Do we really need parents to be MORE obsessed with infant growth. Does anyone really need another place to store photos and memories.

So no, I don't think it is a good idea. The market is saturated and the people who are obsessed with issues already have the tools they want.
#6 of 6 Old 08-03-2014, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
No the aps have a feature to record diaper changes, but don't determine the need.

And then when you go to the pediatrician and they ask how often the baby pees or poops, you whip out your app, and the pediatrician kind of rolls her eyes. The question comes up only during the first two weeks, or if the baby is very ill.

I can see some utility to a daily tracking app for baby stuff, particularly in cases with more than 2 caregivers, but those apps exist. Geotagging? Why? I would consider an app that geotagged the location of each feeding to be a privacy and safety risk. Every parent I know puts the cute baby stuff on the web via Facebook, and doesn't need a special app for it.

Honestly, the OP strikes me as poorly thought out, like the poster decided to sell things to parents, but hasn't considered what parents have, what they want, or what they need.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page