Mothering Forum banner

Ouch, Aching back!

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  sarahl918 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing terrible upper back and neck pain. I think it's from nursing, carrying the car seat and baby, as well as chasing after my 3 year old. The pain is worse between my shoulder blades, both sides, and is pretty much constant at this point. My lower back has even started getting irritated. I think I've been over compensating with my lower back since my upper is so worn out. I've been to a chiro a couple times but it really hasn't provided much relief yet. I've gone back to the gym to work on my core. Any other mama's experiencing this?

#2 ·
One word: Pilates. If you can get your core activated again your body will be able to maintain after chiro adjustments. It was night and day difference for me. Good luck!!!

Reactions: sarahl918
#3 ·
I second the Pilates recommendation... I go 2-3x a week (as much as I can!) and it has made all the difference for me. I also try to pay attention to my posture, but it is difficult when you are nursing all day and cosleeping in awkward positions all night. :)

I go to a chiropractor as well, and he confirmed that we can keep doing adjustments but if I didn't get my muscles strong, they would just keep pulling the discs out of place. He is the one that got me hooked on Pilates over 2 years ago!

If time away or cost is an issue, I would recommend getting at least one or two private sessions at a reformer studio to get your basic techniques down (and to learn about neutral spine, tucked tailbone, shoulders back & down, correct breathing, etc). Then ask the instructor to give you some mat exercises you can do at home. Planking alone can help a lot.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.