Mothering Forum banner

Baby slow to eat...just need some support!

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  hollyeasterbybb 
#1 ·
Hi all,

DS2 is 11 months old and just really taking an interest in solids in the last month. I'm so excited about that but I wish it were going faster! I don't remember what it was like with my first, but he was definitely eating more at this age. And then I watch other babies of the same age happily eating everything they're offered. My son eats a little and then plays with it or throws it on the floor.

He has severe eczema which seems to be triggered by wheat, dairy, eggs and nightshades, so I'm avoiding all of these things and keeping them out of his diet, too. I guess I'm eager for him to be eating more because I'm finding the restricted diet to be difficult for me. I know he'll eat in his own time, and I know that the slow start is best for him with the eczema/food sensitivites...but I'm ready for him to be less dependant on me for calories!

Anyone in the same boat?

#3 ·
That's the thing...he doesn't actually eat too much of what I give him! Last night he ate all of the cauliflower out of the curry I made, but didn't touch the sweet potato or chickpeas...he likes tofu a lot, and rice...most fruit I offer him he smushes up and drops on the floor. He seems to like raisins...and sometimes beans. And I made a roasted squash soup that he loved.

To add to all of this, I just found out I'm pregnant again! My supply is going to drop in the next few months, we're going to have to figure something out!

#4 ·
I don't really have any advice for you, except to say good luck! And I bet that he will start eating more solids if your supply does dip--hunger is the best sauce! I know some people are against purees, but have you tried any? I know lots of babies and kids love those squeezy-pouches, and there are ones made only with organic foods.

Finally, my daughter won't eat very much if I offer her too much/too many things at the same time; she does best with a couple of pieces in front of her at a time. I think that too much feels overwhelming, and she turns to play instead of eating.

#7 ·
@BushMama83
I wanted to tell you that my DD didn't eat much of anything until about 12 months....then at 17 months she really took of with eating once I was pregnant with baby #2 . Her intake continued to increase as my supply declined. Hang in there. There's alwasy something to worry with! :thumb

#9 ·
We knew that it's common to babies to be slow eaters at that stage, but what makes it difficult for you with the situation is that he has eczema where you really have to avoid foods that can trigger the condition. What I can only suggest is that don't force him to eat if he doesn't like because when he gets hungry he would really demand for food.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.