Starting Sign Language? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-14-2014, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question Starting Sign Language?

We've been working on sign language for a couple of months now. I sign to our son in situation appropriate ways, and haven't expected him to sign back yet, but my book says that starting at 8 months (he's 8 months, two weeks), they usually start signing.

Is anyone else working on this, or have you done it in the past? What are the best ways, in your opinion, to encourage your child to communicate with sign? I'm wondering if I should wait a bit for my baby to get frustrated enough to sign "more" before giving him more food, or if that's cruel? I'm waiting about five seconds to ten seconds at the moment, and he starts to get very upset, but doesn't seem to understand what I'm asking of him.

I'd love any help. I've read a couple books, but am no clearer on how to proceed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 09-14-2014, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Nope, not cruel at all. We gave 1 bite of food at a time and hand-over-hand signed "more" with our DD. Did the same with "all done". She was signing both by 9 months old.
#3 of 5 Old 09-14-2014, 06:09 PM

Location: New Zealand, Republic of Marshall Islands, California
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This interests me as well as I would like to try to teach signing. Any books or websites anyone would recommend?

Charlotte
#4 of 5 Old 09-17-2014, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I read that when LO starts to wave goodbye is a good time to introduce signs.

My 6 year old, 16 month old and I love Signing time videos. We get them from our little library. We, big folks, can really remember signs from them with all the songs. We do lots of signs but LO just does "more". It's his magic sign for give me what I want. Lol.

I've tried forcing baby's hand into signs but it didn't feel right to my momma self.
#5 of 5 Old 09-17-2014, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks again for your help, farmermomma! I would be in ecstasy if LO would sign "more!" I feed him until it seems like he's done or we run out of food, but it's usually the latter. I'm sure he's getting more than he wants, but can't tell. Honestly, 1/2 cup of food seems far too much for a baby who's also breastfeeding on demand and is 8 months old, but I'm not sure what I'm missing in terms of an "all done" cue. If he could just tell me that he really wants more, it would be so helpful. And if we could add "all done" in there . . .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page