Mothering Forum banner

Can a 3 month old baby talk? Is that crazy?

19K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  MeltCandy88 
#1 · (Edited)
So my ds just turned 3 months old a few days ago, and I am SURE he is saying words, but everyone thinks I'm craaaaazy. For 2 weeks he has been saying "Hello", what I always say to him when he wakes up, when I pick him up, etc. He says it clearly, and he ONLY says it when I have been out of his sight for a few moments and come back. Now this week he has started saying "um um um" as he drinks his bottle (don't freak out, the bottle has breast milk in it :smile:). He only says it when he is drinking, and when I am giving him his bottle I always say "Yum yum yum". AND today he started saying "I do I do, I do I do". I always look into his eyes and say "I love you, I do I do". And now when I say it he is looking back at me and saying "I do I do" back at me.
Is this even a real thing that can happen?

#2 ·
3-4 month olds often get a set of sounds with consonants in them they start using. By like 4-6m they often try and copy what they hear (the sounds and rhythms are more like the child's native language and more like the parents use), sounds like yours is a touch early and is good at it. There's no telling if this will turn into early talking or other profoundly gifted traits, might just be something basic he's good at right now. Often babies that are going to be advanced also do social stuff like eye contact and smiling very early and are extra alert for their age.

#3 · (Edited)
When my daughter said "boobay" pointing straight at a blueberry, and "maymay" for her doll at barely 8 months, I realized she had been saying things for at least a month without my recognizing it.

I *doubt* that what you are hearing it is a true word, but my experience has proven to me that just because we think something and maybe have good reason to doesn't mean it's true.

So, I would say "hello" back, just in case :p If it isn't a word now, it sure will be!

Reactions: MeltCandy88
#4 ·
They said that "kids are great imitator". They adapt sounds, expressions, and etc from us (parents) and those people that surrounds them when they grow up. If your kid is saying those things to you even at the early age. It is very possible but it does not mean your baby can pronounce it very clearly and understand its meaning since he is very young.

I can see that your kid will grow up very intelligent and observant person. :nerd:

#9 ·
DD2 started saying words at 4 months old. 'Dad ad ad ad', then about a week later 'Nan an an an', then a week or two later 'Mum um um um'. Every day, all day lol.

#10 ·
My 3 month old's hunger cry sounds exactly like "HUN-GIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! HUN-GIEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!"

Think I've got it recorded on my phone. It's adorbs!:grin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.